Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Contact made!!  (Read 5376 times)
2E0OZI

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:11:44 AM »

Thanks to Ludwig, OE6RLF who was my first ever ham radio contact, on the 20m band today at 1410. I was so excited I forgot to note down what frequency he was calling on.

Next time I'll be better prepared.

I had tried a few calls myself, stayed away from the pileup, and just heard his call when searching the band. I tuned him in, and then he called again - nobody seemed to replying so I did and he came straight back with my call. BRILLIANT.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:48:06 AM »

Congratulations! First contacts are always the best. And to have a DX contact for you first one is
even sweeter!! You'll certainly remember that one!
So, now you should be hooked, especially bagging a DX station for your very first contact.
Good luck and have fun!
james
WD5GWY
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »

Nice one, Scotty.

You will probably find that it's a lot easier simply to log the band, or the "generic" frequency for a particular band, rather than the precise, down to the microhertz number.

"20 CW" is just as valid as "14,017,247.4 CW", IMO.  Unless Ofcom specifically requires a different format.  Here in the States, we haven't had to keep actual "logs" for years, although I suspect most of us do.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 05:32:15 PM »

Send him a QSL card direct, and save his card when you get it.  You will treasure it in the years to come.  Congratulations!!!!
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 07:03:37 PM »

Welcome, Scotty!

I went 4 months before my first DX contact, up to that point it was all 40 meter CW stateside (the old novice CW band, 7100 to 7150, waaaay back).  Then the DX bug bit me too.

Mark Lunday
WD4ELG
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 02:23:38 AM »

I have not even thought of getting a QSL card made up yet...... the whole thing about them is slightly mystifying - surely if someone wants confirmation of a contact with me I'll just send them a card. I don't mind paying, I suspect I won't be sending out thousands a year or anything!

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 03:46:31 AM »

I have not even thought of getting a QSL card made up yet...... the whole thing about them is slightly mystifying - surely if someone wants confirmation of a contact with me I'll just send them a card. I don't mind paying, I suspect I won't be sending out thousands a year or anything!

Hi Scotty, Congratulations on your first contact!

QSL cards are easy to make yourself. I use Microsoft Publisher, there are already postcard templates built in. I just
add the text boxes for rst, mhz, etc and throw on a nice picture and my call sign, then print them using a nice glossy card stock. Saves a ton of money (that you can use for postage).

Good luck and have a Happy New Year!

-Jay
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 05:04:39 AM »

Just got the second LA7GNA John who I had a nice chat to for a few minutes or so before I let him get on with calling more people up.

Jay sounds like the plan - I have huge amounts of 4x6 photo paper that comes with (or used to) every time I bought ink cartridges - that will look nice. As you say, I'll make something up myself as save it as a template and just print as and when required.

I assume if someone wants a card they will ask??

all the best

Scotty

George Orwell
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 05:21:15 PM »

Normally stations will request a card but sometimes they will just turn up in your mailbox or via the bureau (buro). It would be a good idea to make sure that you have envelopes with your QSL buro and then batches of cards will arrive at your home QTH every so often

73 Mark N1UK
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »

I'll NEVER forget my first contact Scotty!  It was 54 years ago on CW.  I used a Heathkit AT-1 transmitter that used cathode keying.  This is almost never used these days.  The full power output tube current flows through the key. 

I was very nervous and actually sweating.  My fingers slipped off the J-38 handkey knob and came in contact with the key arm and the resulting electrical shock rattled my teeth!  After that my keying was so bad that the receiving station just went away.  Guess he figured I was drunk! 

Enjoy Scotty. 

Al - K8AXW
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 06:13:06 AM »

Thanks Al - just made another contact (my 4th) a few minutes ago, dropped my pen, couldn't find it to get down the details, so I had to sign off! I know Max from Italy wished to say more, but I was stuck, so it was more like a contest QSO. I'll have to learn to calm down a bit, and organise things a bit better. Of course subject to Murphy's Law, when I am 100% organised and in the permanent radio room instead of beside the beside table - I won't make any contacts! Roll Eyes

all the best

Scotty

PS - all the power through the key? I have heard about that system thats a bit scary. I do have ambitions to get onto CW but its a long learning process I have only just started.

George Orwell
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 06:47:26 AM »

You should keep a log book of all your hf contacts (QSO's). Most people log onto a pc program these days and there are several good and free logging programs available. A paper log is effective too.

I keep several pencils handy to make notes during a QSO

Have fun....Can you share your callsign with us?

73 Mark N1UK
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 06:56:18 AM »

Oh yes sorry Mark its M6OZI  Smiley I have a nice big day-to-a-page diary that is serving as a logbook at the moment. I have noticed folks can look up my call instantly so they are at their computer as well as the radio, wheras mine is up the stairs and round the corner. The grand plan is to have the radio here in the computer room, like I have seen in many pictures of setups. Its handy to be able to record a contact straight away I suppose. I need to get the coax under the house - a tricky operation by the looks of it.  Roll Eyes

All my contacts have been in Europe so far, thats fine with me, but yes one day I'd like to make the USA.

all the best

Scott

George Orwell
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 08:09:01 AM »

Hi Scott,

I love your bike. I have an old 1972 Triumph Bonneville. The DX spotting sites are really useful to see who is on

http://www.dxwatch.com/

A lot of logging programmes automatically display the station details from qrz.com as well as checking for previous contacts. I am using an access database programme which is a little clonky. Take a look at Ham Radio Deluxe among others

You might want to try a 15m dipole and I expect that I will be able to work you then when we get a day with good conditions. 40m is a good band to try as well now that a lot of the broadcast stations have been moved out of the band. Of course 20m is fun too.

If you can get under the house, then you should be able to drill a hole through the floor and run the coax that way. It all takes a bit of thinking about. What rig are you running right now?

73 Mark N1UK G3ZZM
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 08:27:51 AM »

Hi Mark,

Its an IC718 and although I have only had it for a month I am ver happy with it. Its very intuitive and easy to use and that what I wanted, instead of having to concentrate on driving the rig I can think about my operating proceedures. Here the next level up is Intermeadiate which allows 50w so I have no need for a really powerful rig. Simple and fun is what I like!

Scott M6OZI

George Orwell
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: