Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Broadcast Band sensitivity increase for Kenwood  (Read 1770 times)
SWMAN

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2010, 05:28:43 AM »

Has anyone tried the simple mod for any of the newer Kenwood HF radios. It is suppose to remove the attenuation that is in the AM broadcast band and make signals stronger for AM. On mods.dk it says for AM broadcast band only. I called Kenwood and they said that it will increase signal on all AM mode signals on all bands. He said don't do it because of overloading. My question is has anyone actually tried doing this to their 570, 480, 2000 or new 590 radio ?
Thanks and 73 Jim
KF5HRN
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 05:34:57 AM »

On the bottom of the TS-2000 their is a jumper that increases the AM broadband signal level.
it is make local/DX, you move it from local to DX

Have a good day
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:41:46 AM »

Hi Lew,
Yes, I know how to do the mod but does it increase AM on all areas on all bands like shortwave AM broadcast or just
.5 to 1.7 mhz area?
 Thanks Jim
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:45:55 AM »

Consider this:  Even if it only attenuates BCB signals, removing it may allow a strong local BCB signal to overload the front end of the receiver and affect (adversely) the performance of the receiver on all bands and modes. 

Generally speaking, if you hear an increase in noise when you connect an antenna to the radio, you have enough sensitivity. Especially on lower frequencies, it is about signal-to-noise ratio, not signal level.

Richard
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 07:09:09 AM »

Richard,
 That makes a lot of sense, I'm going to leave my 570 alone and not do it.73 Jim
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:33:48 AM »

I have an older Kenwood TS-690S that does the same thing... It automatically kicks in a 20 dB attenuator between 500 and 1700 kHz. Plays fine, sounds good with an external speaker, makes for a pretty good all-around SWL / BCB radio.

When I first got it I wondered how much better it would be at BCB DX'ing without the attenuator. Then, over time, I came to realize my DX'ing wasn't limited by sensitivity but by noise and co-channel interference. 20 dB of more noise and three-stations-at-the-same-time isn't going to pull anything out of the soup. Years ago there was a program on WLS that I enjoyed. 890 kHz is shared by WLS, a Spanish language religious station in Laredo, TX and Radio Havana. Some nights I could hear all three in sequence, some nights I'd hear all three simultaneously. Sensitivity / selectivity was not the problem...

BTW: Last time I looked, the only BCB station that still has a truly clear channel is KDKA in Pittsburgh, PA @ 1020 kHz. Some nights it isn't there at all but the noise is running S-5 or better. Nothing to be gained by more gain.  Cool

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 04:49:49 AM »

if effects the BC and SWL bands
on AM 750 it almost double the signal strength
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 06:51:06 AM »

if effects the BC and SWL bands
on AM 750 it almost double the signal strength

It has NO effect upon the "SWL" bands; only frequencies below 1800 kHz.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: