Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using MFJ-941E with a long wire...  (Read 2648 times)
WB2HTO

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:18:43 PM »

The instructions leave me a bit confused about how to connect the tuner to a long wire (actually a dipole fed by twin-lead, I will twist the leads together).  The tuner is well-grounded to the rig, which is well-grounded to earth ground (via the wing nut post)

To which post do I connect the long wire?  The upper left or upper right (looking at the back of tuner)

Also, can someone confirm that the post marked "Wire" on the bottom (next to the ground wing nut) is left disconnected when operating as a long wire (it's connected now with the twin lead)

Thanks

David
WB2HTO
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »

When using a long wire connect it to the post marked WIRE. The JUMPER wire is not connected. The JUMPER wire connects the BALUN.

The tuner could use improved marking on the rear panel. It's not clear when to connect the jumper wire.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:13:34 PM by DAVE CUTHBERT » Logged
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:15:25 PM »

Connect your "wire" (shorted feeders) to the lower left terminal labeled "wire."  Be sure there is no jumper connected to the terminal marked " wire."  I normally leave a jumper between the two terminals labeled "balanced line."  When I switch from a single wire to a balanced feed I connect the jumper from the upper left "balanced feed" terminal to the lower left "wire" terminal
WB2HTO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:50:07 PM »

Cheesy Thanks, guys.

I like the idea of a jumper.  Gotta find me some banana plugs.

http://images.buyitsellit.com/1744364.jpg
WB2HTO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:54:58 AM »

I did have a follow-up question - will the tuner still tune when oeprating through an antenna the wire post?  I gotta assume that the antenna won't just tune up on 160.  Gonna need some help getting all the way to 160...
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 07:14:27 AM »

To tune a balanced antenna remove the jumper wire.

If the tuner will not match a single wire on 160 meters a series inductor can be added at the tuner. I use a large diameter PVC pipe coupler. Wind #14 THHN (house wire) close wound on it and you will have a nice coil having a Q around 300. The large pipe coupler sets nicely on the desk and looks good. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: