Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call sign question  (Read 1487 times)
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »

Hi everyone I have a stupid question Undecided  A new ham get's his Tech ticket in April of 2010 and is assigned a call in order of standard issue. He upgrades to General in July and finally to Extra in November of 2010. He now uses a 2X2 call. My question is: Are Extra class operators automatically issued a new call? I know a vanity call requires a 2 year wait.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »

I believe and someone can correct me on this that on the form when you apply for your upgrade after passing your exam, there is a box to to elect to change your callsign or to keep your existing callsign. Your choice. The VEC's can guide you on this. When upgraded to Advanced many years ago, I elected to keep the callsign that was issued to me as a general. Prior to that I when I upgraded from Novice to General I had elected not to keep my Novice call.

Mark N1UK
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »

If you are scavenging someone's used call, you need to wait two years after they pass. If you are requesting a new 2x2 call, you get it immediately.
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:44:53 AM »

Thanks guys, that explains it.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »

On the form that you fill out when you appear for your upgrade exam--or for ANY modification of your ham license, there is a box where you put your current callsign.  Right next to it is a box that asks you whether you want to have a new callsign assigned or keep your current callsign.  That is done specifically for those who want their callsign changed to reflect their new license class.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »

hi,

He may have selected the call of a family member who is SK.

73 james
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »

hi,

He may have selected the call of a family member who is SK.

73 james

In which case he'd check the box for that on the vanity app , and  the 2-year wait would not apply .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: