Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American made VHF/UHF mobile radios  (Read 8779 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2011, 05:04:02 AM »

My use of the statement about permanently attached cords versus cord connectors was made as an example, not as fact on each and every thing that is a cheaper version of a product.  Some use cheaper 'cabinets', some leave out extra shielding, (and boy, have we seen complaints about THAT in these forums) some just use parts that are produced with wider tolerances than others, etc., all the way down the line.

And yes, business was being done in the 'Wal-Mart' fashion before Wal-Mart became the industry leader in cutting prices by cutting people's throats, but Wal-Mart took it to an entirely new level.  As Lon had said,

....Believe what you want, guys, it won't change reality.

As he believes that sums up his statements, so do I believe it sums up mine.  73!

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »

"Sorry, Charlie, but I have done enough comparative shopping over the last 10 years to know that this is an inaccurate statement."

I can't make blanket statements as, in most cases, I haven't explored a product's origin but several years ago I was looking to replace an aged vacuum cleaner with a new one.  Wanting an "American made" product, I chose a Hoover from WalMart, copied the model number and called Hoover to ask some questions and make a comparison with another vendor.  I was told point blank by the Hoover customer service rep. that the WalMart product was made by Hoover TO WAL MART SPECIFICATIONS and, while it looked identical to a Hoover dealer sold product, there were indeed differences between the products, though he couldn't (wouldn't) elaborate on what those differences might be.  I DO know that one of those differences was a considerably longer warranty for the product bought from the Hoover dealer vs. the warranty for the WalMart version.  Would the WalMart product hold up as well as the dealer product I bought?  I have no idea, but the one I bought is doing just fine.  Just one isolated experience but it tells me that there ARE differences, at least in SOME cases.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 06:25:23 AM »

"the WalMart product was made by Hoover TO WAL MART SPECIFICATIONS"

Several stores do that, including Sears. What I am saying however, is that the Mfgs will NOT put the exact same model number on the product made to WalMart specifications as they do on their own product. If I find a Hoover model XYZ20 at WalMart it will be the same product as the Hoover XYZ20 sold by other Hoover dealers.

If I can purchase the exact same TV at WalMart for less money than BestBuy, guess where I'm going to purchase it.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: