Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American made VHF/UHF mobile radios  (Read 8063 times)
WB5EAT

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:04:51 PM »

There was a time when the quality of radios made in Japan was pretty good . Good enought
that American Mfgrs. lost market share . Now Japan wants to sub contract their stuff to China and still charge high prices . China makes crap !
It's time for America to produce a good VHF/UHF mobile radio . One without the cheap phone plug mike chords and the noisy recievers . It will cost more i am sure , but it would sell if it weren't a rip off product . Step up America and win back what you allowed the politicians to sell off .
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:14:52 PM »

Everything is made overseas,and more companys are leaving everyday.The only radio that is made here is TenTec,and only HF...not  VHF-UHF...73s de n0zna/John
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:09:48 PM »

Don't forget Elecraft. It's made in the USA. And Ameritron. And MFJ. And Vibroplex.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 04:24:33 AM »

Moot points.  A lot of the parts used in "American" made radio are made overseas, just like a lot of the car parts used in "American" cars these days.  Big business has made their choice, aided by the American worker and American government regulation.  Forget about seeing much of anything that is totally 'made in the US' these days.  It ain't happening anymore.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 04:37:20 AM »

Myth alert!

American manufacturing output is the highest in the world. How about the components in your PC? The Microprocessor, memory and many of the power supply ICs are made right here in the USA. Where did the manufacturing jobs go? Productivity is the main answer. It takes less workers in 2010 to produce more manufacturered goods than where produced in 2000.

http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010020825/no-virginia-us-manufacturing-isnt-dead

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:40:32 AM by DAVE CUTHBERT » Logged
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 06:23:36 AM »

It's pure coincidence but this morning I built a computer for someone from the parts. The Intel CPU was manufactured in Israel and the Samsung memory was made in South Korea. The motherboard and hard drive were manufactured in China and the DVD drive came from Romania. It's a small planet.

As for USA manufactured VHF/UHF sets I'm not sure if Motorola are still in the business but they're the only company that springs to mind apart from Harris who produce military gear.

Tanakasan
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »

Apparently, no one watches the news. It appears Dell is spending $100 mil on a new plant in China. The net result is, 900 US jobs lost!

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I  once saw that read,"Out of work?,hungry? Eat your foreign car!".......................... Roll Eyes
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »

My foreign car is made of 98% NA content and is assembled in Texas.

I would really like to be able to buy a HT made in the U.S.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »

I don't know where you get your computers, but the processor, memory, chip sets, capacitors, resistors, etc in mine are mostly made in China with some from Mexico.

Even if you purchase an item "made in USA" from Ten Tec or Elecraft, the vast majority of components in it are made overseas. Maybe they should change the label to "final assembly in the USA" or "sold in the USA".
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:18:54 AM »

Bob, how about duped in the USA? Or maybe, NAFTA'd in the USA?

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 07:50:40 AM »

How about simply 'Most parts made anywhere BUT in the USA!'
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 08:21:06 AM »

I don't know where you get your computers, but the processor, memory, chip sets, capacitors, resistors, etc in mine are mostly made in China with some from Mexico.

There are no semi-conductor plants in China making PC microprocessors or memory. Yet. They do have test and assembly plants in China that take the finished die and "package" it. The "made in" mark is attached to the final assembly.

The real guts of the Microprocessor - the die - is made in the US by Intel. Intel makes the chip sets in the US. Intel is by far the world's largest semiconductor manufacturer. The memory is most likely Micron (Boise, Idaho) or Samsung (South Korea). But because labor costs are lower in China semiconductor manufacturing will move there. A memory plant is being constructed in China right now.  

As pointed out, US manufacturing is alive and well but it is changing. The US makes the high-end stuff that the world wants. Every electronics manufacturer I have worked for has exported over half their production.

The reduction in manufacturing jobs, due mainly to increases in productivty, is falsely portrayed by polititians as the fault of the other political party. Why are the low-end manufacturing jobs leaving the US? Lower manufacturing costs in China and an improper exchange rate. Why are Japanese cars manufactured in the US? Lower manufacturing costs here than in Japan. When manufacturing costs in China become prohibitive plants will be built elsewhere (Africa?).

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:42:03 AM by DAVE CUTHBERT » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 10:40:17 AM »

Good post David.  Unfortunately many don't understand economics basics and just repeat nonsense spewed by politicians or the media.  The upside of the dollar's lower value compared to other currencies means more U.S. goods are being exported. Our improvements in worker productivity plays into this too.  Although China is cheating when it comes to currency valuation, their economic success will eventually cause them the same problems we've experienced.  As they become more affluent, the rising cost of labor will cause China to outsource labor to other countries (perhaps India, Burma, etc) and they will experience exactly what the U.S. has experienced in regards to their manufacturing sector.  Fortunately, there are manufacturing niches that America is successfully exploiting.  Ten-Tec and Elecraft come to mind.  It's not all gloom and doom when it comes to American manufacturing.  To those who want to complain that globalization is destroying America, one question, do you shop at Wal-Mart?  If so you may want to rethink that.  I am frequently amused by those who tout, “Buy American”, yet every week load their “American cars” with items purchased at Wal-Mart.   
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »

To those who want to complain that globalization is destroying America, one question, do you shop at Wal-Mart?  If so you may want to rethink that.  I am frequently amused by those who tout, “Buy American”, yet every week load their “American cars” with items purchased at Wal-Mart.   

Before you start on a WalMart Is Evil rant, I suggest you look at Sears, Target, Home Depot, Lowes and just about every other big-box retailer and see where the overwhelming majority of their products are manufactured - EXACTLY the same places as WalMart items are made.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: