Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American made VHF/UHF mobile radios  (Read 8895 times)
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »

Just to add insult to injury, or fuel to the fire, which ever suits you....

Let's thank the prez who signed the NAFTA agreement. Give that man a cigar!

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »

Don't worry!  Foreigners are starting to buy all of our bargain real estate, so at least we'll get something back!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 07:47:12 AM »

Just to add insult to injury, or fuel to the fire, which ever suits you....

Let's thank the prez who signed the NAFTA agreement. Give that man a cigar!

Yes, thanks H.W. Bush for signing NAFTA on Dec. 17, 1992.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:41:44 AM by WX7G » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 09:04:01 AM »

Before you start on a WalMart Is Evil rant, I suggest you look at Sears, Target, Home Depot, Lowes and just about every other big-box retailer and see where the overwhelming majority of their products are manufactured - EXACTLY the same places as WalMart items are made.

True enough--but the evil really comes from something in Wal-Marts history.  The claims loudly made by Sam Walton when Wal-Mart was expanding.  "Made in America by Americans".  When Sam passed on, that philosophy was quickly dumped by the Wal-Mart board of directors.  All they wanted to see was a large bottom line--to fuel their ever growing expansion.

These days, the cheapest of the cheap is what you find at Wal-Mart.  Even though other 'big box' stores sells foreign made things, somehow the quality of those things seems to be better than the junk Wal-Mart sells, and that is because Wal-Mart uses their buying power to get things made more cheaply--and the Chinese aren't dummies.  When they make things more cheaply, THEY MAKE THEM CHEAPER!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »

That's odd. When I look in my local WalMart store I see the same brand name stuff that I see in all the other stores. Cell phones, cameras, TV sets, small kitchen appliances, computers, vacuums, etc - all the same names.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 01:53:40 PM »

That's odd. When I look in my local WalMart store I see the same brand name stuff that I see in all the other stores. Cell phones, cameras, TV sets, small kitchen appliances, computers, vacuums, etc - all the same names.

Yup, and in many cases, WM is NOT the most inexpensive. My recent purchase of a flat screen TV and Home Theater sound system is a case in point. In both cases, WM was more expensive that Best Buy.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 06:13:21 PM »

My foreign car is made of 98% NA content and is assembled in Texas.

I would really like to be able to buy a HT made in the U.S.
But ultimately the money supports Japan,or whatever country you`re supporting,doesn`t it?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 04:31:04 AM »

My suggestion is to look closer.  The Wal-Mart item will be another model number, a similar enough model, but with features missing--or just more cheaply made.  Thinner shells, permanently connected cord instead of a connector, etc.  Yes, I've noticed that too many of the name brands are following the Wal-Mart lead and are getting things made in China with their name on it.  It just may be that the rest of the retailers are catching up since so many Americans are looking for lowest cost--without caring that the items won't last as long and they'll be paying out MORE in the near future instead of enjoying the use of a quality product for a longer time.

A good example is this--I bought a BLACK & DECKER quarter inch drill recently that didn't last a year, but a MILWAUKEE 1/2 inch drill that I bought twenty five years ago is still going strong!  The B&D drill was used for all light duty work while the Milwaukee is used--and sometimes abused.  You can get the picture.
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »

My foreign car is made of 98% NA content and is assembled in Texas.

I would really like to be able to buy a HT made in the U.S.
But ultimately the money supports Japan,or whatever country you`re supporting,doesn`t it?

It supports engineers and corporate heads in Japan. But it also supports blue collar workers and some white collar sub-contracted design work in NA as well. For instance, there is an injection molding company in Indiana, whos name escapes me at the moment, that is the world leader in fuel tank design. Previously, Toyota said "make this tank like this, we don't care what your engineers say" and was then liable for the tank leaking. Now Toyota says "make us a tank that fills this space on this vehicle" and the Indiana firm does. It's not as cut and dried as what badge is on your product.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »

My suggestion is to look closer.  The Wal-Mart item will be another model number, a similar enough model, but with features missing--or just more cheaply made.  Thinner shells, permanently connected cord instead of a connector, etc.  Yes, I've noticed that too many of the name brands are following the Wal-Mart lead and are getting things made in China with their name on it.  It just may be that the rest of the retailers are catching up since so many Americans are looking for lowest cost--without caring that the items won't last as long and they'll be paying out MORE in the near future instead of enjoying the use of a quality product for a longer time.

Sorry, Charlie, but I have done enough comparative shopping over the last 10 years to know that this is an inaccurate statement. I match model number for model number, and on name brand items, there is no difference. As for manufacturing in China, it was happening a long time before WalMart became as big as it is. Whether you and I like it or not, China is a major player in the manufacturing market and will likely surpass the US within the next five years. Again,  before you bash WM, look at where Sears, Home Depot, Lowes and the other mass market company get their products - especially their house brands, Even the Craftsman label from Sears is no longer US-made.

The EXACT same TV set I bought from Best Buy was available from WM for $50 more. Another brand (again, exact same model number) was slightly cheaper at WM than BB. You don't want to shop at WM, that's your choice, but don't try to paint them as somehow evil, unless you are going to paint every other major retailer with the same brush.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »

Craftsman lawn equipment is all made in Cleveland, Ohio.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »

I`ve also heard that the John Deere tractors sold at Home Depot are not as good as the ones sold at their own dealers`stores. Has anyone else heard this? Please say it `aint so...
KC2TOO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »

Sorry, but after working on them, its true.

My wife and I refuse to shop at wal-mart, look at every label on what we buy, etc, etc. It's a global economy though... These days you can't actually "buy American".  As much as I like my Ten tec, or my Gravely, or my Aladdin lamp (The mantle in it isn't made here...Pesky environmental laws... what's a little thorium in the ground?), you try finding an all American radio, or an all American tractor, or an all American lamp these days. It ultimately comes down to cost. Compare an Yaesu with something similar from Ten Tec. Compare a Mahindra to a John Deere. Do this while you are on a limited budget and needing to get a job done. You, and everybody else, does what they have to.

There's a reason my radio is old, my tractor is older, and my lamp is even older.

73, KC2TOO
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 04:03:37 PM »

I`ve also heard that the John Deere tractors sold at Home Depot are not as good as the ones sold at their own dealers`stores. Has anyone else heard this? Please say it `aint so...
It aint so. They are exactly the same model number and the local Home Depot has their John Deere setup and service done by the local John Deere dealer.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »

"My suggestion is to look closer"

So you are telling me that Philco, for example, makes an inferior product for Wall Mart and puts the same model number and the Philco name on it? I don't believe it. Companies will sometimes make inferior stuff for sale under a different brand but they aren't going to risk their own name - not even for Wal Mart.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: