Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AES is Terrible when compared to HRO  (Read 23074 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »

I called AES today to order some items. I was told that first time orders need to be paid by Money Order and that after that Transaction is completed I could then use a Credit Card. Huh
"But sir you can purchase a $20 item by Money Order and after that you can order whatever you want with a Credit Card".

My first Question to the Manager is OK so how does a person buying a $20 item Guarantee that the next purchase for $1000 will not end up being fraudulent.

He says that crooks can't bother with all of that so they know that after one purchase is established they are dealing with a legit customer Roll Eyes

Wow could he not be more wrong on that!  Anyway I said to him "look I CANNOT see your point, since I know in my business that once we process a Credit Card we get paid, even if the card is stolen or no good, once it is approved we get our money".  At worst sometimes the CC might send us a letter saying customer XYZ denies making the charge, but once we write back and send copies of the invoice etc it always works in our favor.  Well I don't know if something is different for them so I wont argue the point. but I will say it makes for a bad start to doing business.

So I called HRO, I gave them the Credit Card info etc and within 10 Minutes I had a Yaesu G-800DXA along with Clamps etc and a Lightning protector and some other small items processed and finished. 

Now the best part is that the HRO PRICES are the same as AES but I saved a TON of MONEY in shipping!!  What the heck, I called back AES and said you guys are kidding me, you charge all this money on shipping and your main competitor does it for free, how do you survive.  The sales guy said to me oh yeah that s what makes us lose so many customers.  He said he wished they would get rid of the shipping but he cant do anything because he just handles sales.

So lets see

HRO -- Free Shipping
HRO -- Treats new customers well

AES -- You pay for Shipping
AES --  Assumes new customers are Thieves

Choice is clear to me..

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »

I see that you too have experienced the AES "customer reduction program" at work. AES doesn't seem to realize that every time they lose a customer HRO gains a customer. AES becomes weaker and HRO becomes stronger.

I used to order everything from AES. Then they gave me some grief. HRO lowered their prices and their website lets you know if an item is in stock. Now I order everything from HRO and I order quite frequently.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »

My gut feeling is to cut AES some slack, and think they must've been the sucker in enough fraudulent credit card transactions that they're having trouble keeping their merchant agreement intact.

The mail-order business can have mighty thin margins and when the bank threatens to cancel your merchant agreement (in addition to the couple percent they skim off the top) it's not pretty.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »

I also found HRO to be excellent.
The guy taking the order was friendly and helpfull and the online site is heads and tails above AES.  I must say that my only problem with HRO is the flimsy Catalog they put out every year, it would be a slam dunk company if they just did a Catalog with the quality of the AES catalog.

BTW on another Catalog note, I have tried 2 years in a row to get a new AES catalog and everytime they say they have mailed one outto me,  but I get nothing, on the other hand I get a catalog from HRO with no problem.  I guess not much has changed in the AES Catalog so I just can't bother begging for a new one.

I see that you too have experienced the AES "customer reduction program" at work. AES doesn't seem to realize that every time they lose a customer HRO gains a customer. AES becomes weaker and HRO becomes stronger.

I used to order everything from AES. Then they gave me some grief. HRO lowered their prices and their website lets you know if an item is in stock. Now I order everything from HRO and I order quite frequently.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:59:37 PM by Robert Garth » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »

I agree, but that's no way to fix the problem, thats like smashing out all your teeth to save on dental expenses Roll Eyes

A simpler and better fix would just be to say they need to put a 10 day hold on first orders so they can clear the Funds.

Anyway as the other poster said, "AES loses are HRO's Gains"

My gut feeling is to cut AES some slack, and think they must've been the sucker in enough fraudulent credit card transactions that they're having trouble keeping their merchant agreement intact.

The mail-order business can have mighty thin margins and when the bank threatens to cancel your merchant agreement (in addition to the couple percent they skim off the top) it's not pretty.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »

Ive dealt with AES in the past and ive never had any problems. This must be a new policy. Ive always used AES as a backup to R&L. Sometimes R&L will be out of an item and AES will have it......
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »

Ive dealt with AES in the past and ive never had any problems. This must be a new policy. Ive always used AES as a backup to R&L. Sometimes R&L will be out of an item and AES will have it......

It's easy to keep things in stock if you don't sell anything.

Allen
KE7DZS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »

I have not been to impressed with the HRO folks at the Portland store but have used their on line store with no problems.  I have also used Texas Towers. I have no experience with AES but see no reason to use them.

Kim
K4XZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 04:58:36 PM »

Recently I placed an order with HRO Atlanta. I called the store and spoke with Bill to confirm that
the Items ordered were in stock. They were and I asked if they could be delivered and arrive by Christmas. He stated he would have to check and would call me back in 1 hour. 45 minutes later I got a call back saying that I would receive my order buy Tuesday 12/21/2010. I placed the order on Friday 12/17/1020. When I came home Monday afternoon 12/20/1010 and the package was on the porch all Intact and complete.My hats off to Bill and all the HRO crew in Atlanta. No tax and free shipping too! Needless to say I will be doing business with them as much as possible. Great job at Atlanta HRO.

73 DE K4XZ Joe Patrick
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »

Hmmm...I've been buying equipment from AES for decades and have never had a problem such as you describe.  Is it possible they request a mail order only from 1st time customers?
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 12:43:25 PM »

Yes, thats what I said in my post.

Hmmm...I've been buying equipment from AES for decades and have never had a problem such as you describe.  Is it possible they request a mail order only from 1st time customers?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »

hi,

I emailed aes on this and the response was they have no policy on
money orders for first time buyers.

I've used them since 1993.

73 james
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »

Well I actualy talked to the manager and thats what he said.  Thats after the sales person told me that and i asked for the Manager.

hi,

I emailed aes on this and the response was they have no policy on
money orders for first time buyers.

I've used them since 1993.

73 james
W2EM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »

I never had a problem with AES.  Shipping was cheap and I got all my orders the very next day, even a GAP Challenger antenna which other companies required personal pickup due to size.
KJ3D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 06:49:34 AM »

I have purchased several items from AES Cleveland and found their sales staff to be knowledgeable and helpful - not at all pushy.  I received great advice on equipment and was very satisfied with it.  They took my credit card info over the phone and delivered what I ordered to my home in 24 hours.  I intend to do business with them again in the future.

KJ3D  Jim
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: