Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fined $50  (Read 34070 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »

I cannot understand why the FCC allows satelite and TV dishes, but not ham radio antennas.  I don't think this is right.

A lot of it is lobbying on behalf of the TV and satellite broadcast industry.

There is a lot of money in broadcasting fifty channels of football to suburban America.  There is no money in getting ham antennas approved.

We have lobbyists working on our behalf too, but not nearly the resources that big, lucrative companies have.  As I understand the history of it it, there was a lot of lobbying, PR, and back room dealing with HOA's in getting individuals' TV antennas banned in the first place.

I see that Bob and I are on the same page Smiley

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K8SOR

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »

As another person mentioned---load up the gutters. If they are vinyl, put a wire in them. Another answer---attic antenna.  I have heard several hams with attic antennas and gutter antennas. In any case, good luck, 73
W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »

Does an antenna mast fit their description of a "structural modification"?
Short answer is, yes.

You are trying to apply the everyday meaning of the word to a legal document.  It doesn't work that way.  No one would ever use the word "structure" during a casual conversation to describe a simple antenna attached to the roof of a house.  But in a legal context, that is exactly what it is.  Within a legal context words very often do not mean the same as they would when typically used in everyday conversation.

The definition of "structure" in the covenants is very vague.  In such cases the word "structure" is almost always interpreted to mean just about anything that you might build, attach, put up, stick in the ground, or anything else like that.  In short, if it is man-made, and you put it there, then it is probably a "structure."

Of course, you never know for sure what a judge or jury will decide, but I would be willing to bet a very large amount of money that--in any court in Florida--you will LOSE this particular argument.  Sorry, but that's the way it is.

KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »

as for the problems inside the HOA.. and nobody following or knowing the procedures.. this could cost you a fair bit of money, but it's a means to an end..

Obtain a copy of the bylaws.. Print and distribute said bylaws to every household in the neighborhood.. Make the information public and available.
bring it up at every meeting.

we just fought a battle similar to this with a local radio club that had been taken over as personal grudge against the (then) president of the club.
we finally had their not-for-profit status taken away and disbanded the club, then started over.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »

we just fought a battle similar to this with a local radio club that had been taken over as personal grudge against the (then) president of the club.
we finally had their not-for-profit status taken away and disbanded the club, then started over.

Just curious, why did you go through all of the trouble.  Why didn't you just leave and start your own club?

Of course the homeowners association is a bit different - there is money involved there and one can't just walk away.  However, the covenants probably provide for removal of any or all board members with a vote from the residents - probably 2/3 of them.  Or the covenants probably provide for abolishing the association entirely with a 2/3 vote.  If things are really as bad as presented here (remember we are getting only one side of the story) then a little leg work should be able to obtain signatures of 2/3 of the residents.  I would also be surprised if the covenants do not allow for the residents to call a special meeting to address such things.  If they do not, then the residents are certainly entitled to show up in force at the regular meetings.

There are avenues for homeowners to take if their association is run by a tyrant as depicted here.  I will say that if I was on the board and the president attempted to fire me, I would just refuse to leave.  The covenants probably provide for removal of any director from a board position (i.e. president, VP,Sec, etc) with a vote of a majority of the board directors.  However, I doubt very much if they allow for the president or even a majority of the board to completely remove a director from the board.  That can only be done through the election process at the end of the term, or with a vote from the residents - illegal acts not withstanding.

If you are not happy with the way a board is being run, then I recommend you become active and do something about it.

Good luck to everyone

KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »

Quote from: AE5QB link=topic=72752.msg492575#msg492575
Just curious, why did you go through all of the trouble.  Why didn't you just leave and start your own club?

possession of the repeater and tower mostly..
bylaws of the club required the property, or profits from the sale of, be donated to another non profit organization.
KG6IRW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »

Having lived in a HOA residence, I found the best way to deal with things is to become the president.  Many, many HOA boards tend to become rather 'brittle' when the same folks sit on the board year after year.  This had happened with my HOA and the results turned out to be quite disasterous due to 20 years of non-decisionmaking and deferred maintenance.  That ended up costing the entire community of 55 units ~$10K in assessments to get control of the poor driveways, rusted fireplace flues, and non-functional drainage.  This fully discredited the old board, BTW.  Yes, it was nasty there for a while, too, with lots of threats of lawsuits, etc, from those who chose to ignore their meeting minutes and become active in the HOA.

One of the things I did after that episode was to commission a few working committees to deal with changes in the way people received things like cable, Internet services, etc, to accommodate the new antennas, etc that didn't exist when the original CC&Rs were written in the late 70s.  In this way, most of the residents soon discovered that their own CC&Rs were going to not allow the very Dish Network cable shows they wanted.  We then proceeded to relax the original CC&Rs through a series of votes so that everyone was happy.

It takes energy to control your own destiny when you're under an HOA w/ancient CC&Rs.  I sold that place many years ago and will not return to HOAs - never.

Cheers,

David/KG6IRW
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »

John,

Setting aside for the moment the fine, the status of the HOA board members, and so forth...

A BB3 screwdriver antenna, hmmm?  And, you're allowed a flagpole?

A humble suggestion:  Put a fiberglass flagpole in your front yard.  A hollow one, of course.  And have some nice landscaping, flowers, shrubs, lights, etc., whatever floats your boat, around the base.  A decorative wishing well, mini-lighthouse, or watermill works quite well.

Now:  When you put up the flagpole, run a wire from top to (near) bottom, inside (hollow, remember).  Have it come out near the bottom, hidden by the landscaping, and feed into the well or lighthouse or whatever, where your BB3 is now located.  

And, of course, you need to resod or aerate your yard.  Those (ground radial) wires you're laying on the ground?  Oh, just standard lightning protection.

No, it doesn't have to be fiberglass, a metal flagpole works as well, just so long as you can keep the base electrically isolated from ground.

Will it work?  Should.  Certainly better than nothing at all.  

And, since it will be a functioning flagpole, no HOA issues, right?

Just a thought.  Good luck!

73, ron w3wn
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »

If you like the idea of a flagpole antenna, but don't want to build your own, Force-12 has a few: http://www.texasantennas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=114&Itemid=124 and http://www.texasantennas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118&Itemid=128
KC1BUD

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »

Try this guy's advice. http://activerain.com/blogsview/1640350/cc-rs-hoas-and-amateur-radio it is worth the shot.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »

There's an articleinthis month's QST about a homebrew flagpole antenna.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KT1F

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011, 04:53:22 AM »

Regarding the law allowing anyone to have a flag pole...

Does it state what flag you need to or are allowed to fly at the top of the pole?
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2011, 07:55:10 AM »

If you like the idea of a flagpole antenna, but don't want to build your own, Force-12 has a few: http://www.texasantennas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=114&Itemid=124 and http://www.texasantennas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118&Itemid=128
True, but the base 15 1/2 foot antenna is now $259 list.  And $38 more for each 4 foot section.  Gets expensive!
KC1BUD

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »

John,
Were it I, I would go the the HOA and point out the section of the Florida code you posted about requiring 14 days notice prior to assessing a fine. That being said, you should be aware that reading just one paragraph out of the code often leads to the wrong result. Florida wouldn't be the first state to have another paragraph somewhere else in the code that says that paragraph doesn't apply to (fill in the blank here); it might be for HOAs in your particular county, only for HOAs formed after some date, only for HOAs that don't include something in the CC&Rs saying that provision of the code is waived, etc.
In any case, good luck!
Robert

Even still, sometimes the hidden paragraph can sometimes work in your favor. I remember once when I got a ticket for parking my daily driver in my front yard.
It had been a new ordinance to stop junk cars in yards.
This law was tacked onto an existing law to stop strangers from parking on your property without permission that said flat out that the owner of the property had to initiate the complaint.
Since I owned the land and didn't file a complaint the fine was removed.

In any event reading the whole HOA rule against antennas and the states rules plus part 97 and you may be able to find a way out of the mess.
KG7MCH

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2011, 08:45:27 PM »

I am currently using a hustler btv-4 inside of PVC pipe (flagpole antenna) as well as a dipole under the eaves of my home.  Between the two, I have great results and enjoy flying the flag on calm days.

w7pen
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: