Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "antenna impaired" category  (Read 1237 times)
AH6FC

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2005, 08:52:13 PM »

Though I am not really advocating ANOTHER CATEGORY for the various contests, CQ WW & ARRL DX in particular, it might be worth considering the same.  There are many of us who are not able to erect good antenna systems because of CC&R's, whether we like it or not.  During the past year I've really struggled to make any headway in the DX contests, even with a KW.  Without a directional array (at least from the mainland USA)it is often time futile.  How about a category of non-directional antennas?  May sound absurd, but it seems the only real contendenders in any dx contest are the big gun stacked 4 x 4 x 4 stations, etc.  Maybe we just forget the contests but it would be nice to have some chance to effectively compete.

Any thoughts?

73's & Aloha,

Bill
AH6FC/W7
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 04:33:13 PM »

Hi Bill,

novel idea, but...how about "rig" challenged? What if a guy only has an old kenwood TS-120, or a Tempo One? He really can't compete with the likes of guys that have the latest & greatest. Or, maybe "time" challenged? I cannot, myself, work 42-46 hours out of a 48 hour contest, so, the guys that can do that, well, they have an advantage. Or, what if yu have the room,. but no money to put big antennas up? Maybe no computer controlled rig/or logging?

You can see where I am going with this. I have a very modest setup including a G5RV @ 45', & a Cushcraft A3 @ 25'. Can I win a DX contest? No way. Can I have fun? ABSOLUTELY! A piece of paper hanging from my wall means nothing. Bettering my score over a previous best, that means everything to me. PLus, sneaking in a win, or a close second to a big gun during a domestic contest is pretty gratifiying also. I did this in the IL section of the November CW Sweeps, the past 2 years!

I also drag race cars for fun, at the local track. Can I beat the guy with 3 times as much money in his car? Nope. But, I have fun with that also!

73,Chuck KI9A
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 10:34:05 AM »

Picking up on Chuck's comment, I would like a "boatanchor" category with rig being at least 25 ys old (or 30).  Then my KWM2 would qualify.   John.
KF6RDN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 08:14:39 AM »

It's easy to go down the "if we do that, then..." road, but fact is, an antenna impairment IS a signifcant handicap. They have points for qrp.  A crappy or limited antenna is more of a hinderance then low power.

I'm not talking about a g5rv vs a yagi, but having to have some sort of mobile antenna, or an indoor dipole or somesuch.  And it doesn't matter WHY you can't have an antenna.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 04:54:17 AM »

"...an antenna impairment IS a signifcant handicap..."

True enough, but where do you draw the line?

Multiple stacks vs multiple monobanders vs tribanders vs dipoles vs trapped verticals, vs "mobile antenna on a balcony railing"?

Certainly you could use an arrangement like WPX, I suppose...

However, IMO, contests should ignore antennas because the sponsors should not want to penalize (which is what you'd be doing) those who build bigger antennas.  This is something they should condone!

They do, in effect, penalize those who run "bolt on" ERP enhancers like amplifiers which is why we have different power level classes.

Mike N2MG
NI5O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 10:07:24 AM »

How about categories based on effective radiated power ? A kilowatt to a 10 dbi 5 element Yagi will perform very well...   100 watts to the same antenna still crushes 100 watts to a vertical or dipole...  I am in a restrictive C C and R enviroment, using just a 28' wire "all band" vertical which is run next to a tree trunk...  It is hard to be competive gainst such stiff competition...   QRP is maybe the only way to go...   Kevin
N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 03:33:31 PM »

I don't support any form of "antenna challenged" category.

Two reasons:

1) I've done very well in DX/WPX, etc contests with nothing more than a multi-band vertical and a TS-120S - even recently.  Not #1, but in the top ten, a few times.

2) If you made the mistake of buying into CC&R territory, then you already have to compensate by paying mechanics to fix your own brakes instead of doing so in your driveway.  It's a small matter, then, for you to compensate your hamming by finding a suitable high location to contest from in a portable setup.

There are always solutions - we need not continue to sub-divided things down until we're like the car manufacturers "best car in its class" is always achievable if we define the class to include very few competitors.

AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: