The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest Log Consolidation  (Read 1893 times)
KC0SOG

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2005, 06:45:11 AM »

I'm just getting going on my log database and I'm debating whether or not to consolidate my contest logs into my general log database?  Mostly for ease of tracking state/country totals.  

I see advantages and disadvantages either way. I'm not a serious contest participant.  Pretty casual really.  

What do you like to do?

Thanks
Doug kc0sog
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 06:21:14 AM »

FWIW, I'm also a VERY casual contest participant.  I merge my contest log into the general logand use a comment field to indicate that it was a contest QSO so I can find them later if need be.  I'm also interested in what other hams are doing in this regard because like you I thought back and forth a while before doing it the way I do it.  The only drawback I saw is different location operating for LOTW or other awards.
WA5ZUP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 07:05:04 AM »

I am in the exact same boat.  Very casual contester.  I use N3FJP's AClog as my main log and his contest log software for the popular contests.  His programs are real user friendly and a no brainer to work with.  It takes minutes to complete the cover sheet and e-mail the contest log to where ever it needs to go.  I then merge it into AClog.  It enters what contest it was in the comment field.  I then can upload the contacts to LOTW.  Which is real simple, once set up, in AClog.  Evidently other people do the same thing because I have lots of confirmed contacts in LOTW from the contests.

Disadvantage is it makes your regular log huge.  You lose visual site of your regular QSO entries.
ZL4JB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 02:52:16 PM »

Good day,
I am also a very casual contester.  I just started doing it this year.  I use N1MM for contesting and XMLog for everyday contact information.  It is very simple to export the information from N1MM into XMLog (only takes 1 minute).  In the comment field of XMLog it lists the contest, ie "CQCW - 23 out", for example.  That way it is easy to count the number of countries, or states attained, or whatever.  I think you need a comphrehensive log to do this, to show all of your contacts.  It does make XMLog big, but it does show all of your contacts.  I think that it what it should do though.  Good luck.
JIM
ZL4JB
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 10:41:31 AM »

I am also a casual contester, mainly on VHF/UHF plus the occasional QRP contest.  I use xlog (I run Linux) and it lets me keep multiple logs.  I consolidate the contest logs into the main log once I'm done with submitting contest results.  As you say, it makes it easier to keep track for awards and QSL cards.

Caity
K7VO/9
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 10:02:06 AM »

Maybe there's something wrong with my approach, but I archive separate log files for all contests.  I have to send them in that way anyway.  Then I dump each one into www.eQSL.cc, which has all of them since 2001 along with my casual contacts, which I paper-log and manually enter into eQSL.  

That works for me, and eQSL keeps its own running tally of my states and countries.  (Their list of countries doesn't seem to be the same as the ARRL's, but ... I'm not that excited about wallpaper these days anyway.)  I was dumping my contest logs into LOTW for a while, too, but have lost interest in that.  eQSL shows what I've accomplished, which is good enough for me.  (I have no time for paper QSLing.)

BTW, I'm still using N1MM for contest logging, eQSL is my complete log of *all* contacts, and I'm having a great time with my 5 watt, minimal station on a small city lot (approaching 6000 qsos in 5 yrs).  I AM, however, searching hard for a good hilltop home with at least an acre or so if possible.  One of these days I hope to have an actual tower in a better location and make a lot more contest contacts than I do now.  Hope to work you all soon!
73 de kt8k - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: