Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RRTY RU Cabrillo Format Question  (Read 2891 times)
KB7FSC

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:01:54 PM »

I participated in the ARRL RTTY Roundup contest this past weekend.  It is the first contest I have ever entered into, and I had a blast!  It was amazing to me to see the bands so full of signals.

I have not submitted a log for a contest before, and I know I'm supposed to submit a Cabrillo format.  I used HRD Logbook v5.0 build 2636 beta to log my qso's this weekend.  The problem I'm encountering is that this version only exports ADIF format, not Cabrillo as the previous version apparently did.  I thought, no problem, I'll download a freeware ADIF to Cabrillo converter program and I'll have it made.  However, all the freeware programs I've looked at or downloaded will convert ADIF to Cabrillo, but they don't have the ARRL RTTY RU contest listed for the conversion.  I'm concerned my header won't be correct, as well as the format in the QSO body portion dealing with the exchange.  HRD support forum was not opening up on my computer tonight for some reason, so I thought I'd make a post and ask for suggestions so I can convert and submit my log.  I'm pretty sure I'm making this way harder then it needs to be, but I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions to point me in the correct direction.  TNX!

KB7FSC - Wane

DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:12:20 PM »

You could use the N1MM Logger (http://www.n1mm.com/) to import ADIF and export Cabrillo.

If you can generate any kind of Cabrillo file with other tools, you can easily compare it with the official specifications to see if it matches. Since Cabrillo is a plain text format, you can also easily make any changes (especially in the summary sheet) manually to make it match the specs. Even if there's something wrong with the log, the log-robot will return the log and tell you, so there's nothing wrong with a little trial and error, if needed.

http://www.kkn.net/~trey/cabrillo/tags.html
http://www.kkn.net/~trey/cabrillo/wpx-rtty.txt  (WPX-RTTY template, but the same is valid for ARRL RU)

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:26:11 AM »

It's not that hard to get right if your logging program doesn't support the contest.

Go to http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/arrlrttyroundup_cab3.php and fill out the web form with the information that will become the Cabrillo header.

Then go to the next page and submit the QSO data. Cut and paste from the logger's output. If the logger can make its output be vaguely Cabrillo-like that's a good start. It's just one line per QSO, with band/date/time and exchange.

Submit, and you're done. The contest log robot will check out your entry and complain if it sees anything wrong, and also give you a count of the number of QSO's it saw properly formatted. Check the headers in the response from the contest log robot.
KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 08:18:57 AM »

Thanks for the help.  I got my log squared away and submitted, with some trial and error, and the log robot was finally happy with my efforts.  The combination that worked for me was to download HRD v4 onto another computer, import my logfile into it via ADIF, and export the appropriate fields as an ASCII format into notepad.  Once I did that, I went to http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/arrlrttyroundup_cab3.php and filled out my station information for the header, and pasted the contents from notepad for the contacts.  I'm sure I made this harder then it needed to be, but that is how you learn.  Smiley

A little more research into HRD 5 logger shows that the export to Cabrillo is on their "to-do" list, so I'll be looking forward to that feature when it appears.  It will make things easier next go around.  Thank you for the help N3QE and DJ1YFK.  It is very much appreciated.

KB7FSC - Wane
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:18:05 PM »

A little more research into HRD 5 logger shows that the export to Cabrillo is on their "to-do" list, so I'll be looking forward to that feature when it appears.  It will make things easier next go around.  Thank you for the help N3QE and DJ1YFK.  It is very much appreciated.

If you want Cabrillo now, take a look at AA6YQ's DX Lab Suite. It already does Cabrillo, ADIF, CSV and other formats in the logging function of DXKEEPER. Best of all it is free, very easy to use and efficient. I tried HRD (an older version, # I don't recall but think it was an early 4 version) and found it to be too unstable for my taste. Messed with it for quite a while and it just did not play nice with my TS940S radio. Just another point of reference for your consideration.

73 Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: