The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Mac Laptop  (Read 2458 times)
KT4NR

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2015, 06:50:24 AM »

Ok sooo its time.

The wife wants a new to us, used Mac laptop for a short term work/school project. I get to inherit it from her after that for radio use or whatever else fits my fancy. The end deal is she will get a shiny new Mac from the Mac store for her own use after the project is done. We do also have an iMac (2007 Intel) that is showing its age so I am familiar with Mac OSX and the joys of life without locking up, crashing or the blue screen of death. Smiley

Just curious what folks have spec'ed out to run digital modes. I cannot seem to find anything on the MacLoggerDX or the FLDigi web pages what specs they require to run the latest versions of software. I'd like to use that as a baseline for getting any laptop.

Laptop uses: Portable QRP, Mobile and banging around otherwise. Interface will be with an IC703+ and (once I finish moving and selling stuff) an IC7100. (I have an old XP box for programming rigs.) Her project will not use nearly the same graphic or processor power as ham radio digi modes so I am going to do this based on the higher end needs.

Thanks in advance!
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »

Just curious what folks have spec'ed out to run digital modes. I cannot seem to find anything on the MacLoggerDX or the FLDigi web pages what specs they require to run the latest versions of software. I'd like to use that as a baseline for getting any laptop.

I was running FLDigi and MacLoggerDX successfully on a circa 2009 macbook (not pro) with 4G ram without any problems until I purcased my new Macbook 2 years ago. The old machine is still going strong, although I had to replace the battery after 3 years, and upgraded the hard drive to 500G.
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:38:31 AM »

Did you figure out why the newer machine did not work? Just curious.

Thanks!
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 06:18:58 AM »

I am a "little gun" contester, and have been using Macs for that purpose since 2010.  RUMlog is OUTSTANDING for contests since it is stable and has audio responses ("New Multiplier", "Needed Contact", etc)

John KB2HSH
Springbrook, NY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: