Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper QRS  (Read 1775 times)
N4GKC

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:32:48 AM »

I started cw rather late in life ( I am now 62 and just starting to make contacts cw ) and am using a straight key. What is the proper way to tell other ops to slow down ? Do I break in as soon as I get behind in my copy or do I wait my turn and ask them to repeat everything they sent because I am a slow copier? Also when I am calling CQ I send at the speed I can copy (slow) and sometimes I am answered by an op  that's just rippin it. So what to do??  Thanks in advance... I remain "slow in Georgia"
KE5OHV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:57:06 AM »

Try sending Q code for send slower.If that didn't work  send "73 om" and and move on to someone sending code more suited to your ability. For some operators it is difficult for them to slow down. But I think most would be considerate of a newbie and do their best to help.

Not so speedy in NM
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:02:44 AM »

Yes, send PSE QRS and most ops will happily oblige. Ask for repeats of info you feel is important and if you don't catch the exact weather report don't worry about it.

Congrats on your new abilities! CW is quite rewarding (and efficient).

Geoff

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »

QRS followed by a number indicates what speed you'd like the other operator to send.

PSE QRS 8 would mean please slow down to 8 WPM. 

You might try that.
N4GKC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »

Thanks again for your response to my questions. As I read your answers I see that the first question should read "WHEN"  should I ask  the other op to slow down,  not "What is the proper way" etc etc....73 Gary
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:50:30 PM »

The other operator should send at the speed you're sending at. If the other op comes back too fast and he is not running QSK you cannot break in. He will finish his too fast exchange. When he turns it over you might say you need a repeat of his name and ask him to QRS.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »

Thanks again for your response to my questions. As I read your answers I see that the first question should read "WHEN"  should I ask  the other op to slow down,  not "What is the proper way" etc etc....73 Gary

When?    "As early as possible!"

Otherwise, you're wasting his time, and yours.

I have found "CWGet" software to be a very useful tool in dealing with people who send faster than I can read (which is almost everybody in a contest).  It doesn't work with weak signals, or badly-formed code, but it's pretty good with "solid copy" CW.

Charles
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:23:18 AM »

WX7G pretty well nails it.  Most modern transceivers use QSK, which means quite often you can "break" him in the middle of a transmission.  During his fast return, try a quick dit-dit or BK.  When he pauses simply say, "pse QRS 10" or whatever speed you're comfortable with. 

If he isn't using QSK or refuses to acknowledge your "BK" just wait until he's finished and then tell him, "Sri OM but ur too fast for me bt pse qrs and rpt."

If he won't or can't slow down, just move to another frequency and find a true ham to talk to.  Be advised, you will indeed find inconsiderate operators on CW and SSB like you will find inconsiderate auto drivers. 

I'm 75 years old and can copy 25-30 WPM in my head.  All I ever write down is the pertinent information for my log.  However, as I get older I find myself asking guys to slow down more and more because some days my brain simply doesn't work right or the guy is sending so sloppy that it makes copy very difficult to read.  Even if he's running much slower that my ability.

Just make your wishes/needs known.  A good operator will accommodate you.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »

As others have said a considerate OP will come back at your speed. Just wait until you hear some very rare DX at 10 wpm and you will see how quickly the very fastest CW OPs slow down to 10 WPM! However, let me add that depending upon how much the OP must slow down it can be difficult and it can throw ones timing off if they have to slow down quite a bit. In that case the OP may just say 73 but don't let it bother you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: