Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Weather Website?  (Read 3737 times)
K4EYW

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:05:58 AM »

Hello all,

I have been using NOAA and wunderground for several years but I was curious if there are better sites out there for accurate weather. I am new to the ham community and I know there is a dependence on solar conditions and such for god radio activity. Does anyone have any recommendations?

KJ4UWE
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:39:07 AM »

What weather data are you looking for because most other services glean and repackage data they get from NOAA/NWS data feeds.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »

I personally prefer weatherunderground(wunderground) as I have been using it alongside all sorts of sites. It has been the most accurate and up to date I have yet to see compared to all the others. Their algorithms even beat out NOAA for the forecasts.

The biggest plus is that it is free for pretty much everything on the site.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:43:18 AM »

I personally prefer weatherunderground(wunderground) as I have been using it alongside all sorts of sites. It has been the most accurate and up to date I have yet to see compared to all the others. Their algorithms even beat out NOAA for the forecasts.

The biggest plus is that it is free for pretty much everything on the site.

I use several sites for weather data but Wunderground does have a nominal annual fee (which I have been paying for years) for full access to all of their radar data.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W4KPA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »

It's really hard to beat the NOAA sites.  I haven't seen any data anywhere that compares the relative accuracy of the different computer models used by the various sites.  I suspect that any differences between them are snapshots in time, and that on average, they all have about the same success rates in accurate predictions.  I like the tutorials the weather service pages have that explain terminology and how to interpret their radar products.  I do occasionally go to another site, such as Intellicast or Weather Underground, just to see how they're presenting the radar images.  This is really useful when you're trying to decide whether it's going to rain or snow.

All of the sites work pretty well, so it comes down to whatever feels most comfortable to you.  But, I'd never pay a fee for any of this.  There's just too much available free.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »

All of the sites work pretty well, so it comes down to whatever feels most comfortable to you.  But, I'd never pay a fee for any of this.  There's just too much available free.

While I tend to agree I have no problem with paying Weather Underground 5 bucks or so a year for full access to their radar data 24/7.  There it is not free ware but it uses free NWS radar data feeds and is very customizable to your needs. I have been using it for about 6 or 7 years now. There is no annual fee for program and I have paid for a major upgrade a few years ago and have had many many free upgrades too.

K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »

Try www.intellicast.com.

They have precip radar, today's and tomorrow's surface weather features, current temps and some others. And it's all free.

The current precip radar is at http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx

The other maps are at http://www.intellicast.com/National/Weather.aspx
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »

While I tend to agree I have no problem with paying Weather Underground 5 bucks or so a year for full access to their radar data 24/7.  There it is not free ware but it uses free NWS radar data feeds and is very customizable to your needs. I have been using it for about 6 or 7 years now. There is no annual fee for program and I have paid for a major upgrade a few years ago and have had many many free upgrades too.

I forgot to mention program name. Check out www.stormpredator.com   It has a free trail and I have been using for many years.

K4EYW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:04:50 AM »

Thanks for all the responses and great insight. It sounds like I have been using the same sites that every one else seems to favor. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: