Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna / tuner question  (Read 3694 times)
AJ3O

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »

I KNOW that I will probably get some flak for this question, but here it goes.....

I currently have a wilson trucker 5000 mag mount antenna that worked great on my truck for CB. Since funds are a little low at the moment (Just buying a new ft-857D and accessories), could I utilize a used LDG YT-100 tuner with this antenna for some if any HF operations? I am good on 2m and 70cm for now, but I would like to get on HF if possible. The plan is to utilize what I have until later in the summer when I would be able to put aside some money for a Chameleon or similar antenna if not an ATAS-120A.

The radio is not modded and I will be running legal, this is why I am not sure about the tuner as the ads imply "just add an antenna and you are good". Does this mean any antenna, or one for that specific band that just needs some help getting tuned?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Joe
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »

It should work OK on 10 meters, but that is about all.  Once again, just because you have a "tuner" that can transform a gosh awful impedance into something your rig is happy to transmit into, DOES NOT mean that you will radiate a decent signal.

Dick  AD4U
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:52:44 PM »

You right into dummy loads!

It will probably work on 10,12 and 15 meters. However beyond that it will be a dummy load.

You could also damage the antenna tuner trying to tune such a short antenna. The voltages at the base can be EXTREMELY high.
It is also likely that you will damage the matching  components in your Wilson antenna.

My advice is getting a proper antenna thats properly grounded. Forget the Atas and Chameleon they are both dummy loads.

I would suggest you build the following antenna on this link.

http://www.w5dxp.com/bugstick.htm

I KNOW that I will probably get some flak for this question, but here it goes.....

I currently have a wilson trucker 5000 mag mount antenna that worked great on my truck for CB. Since funds are a little low at the moment (Just buying a new ft-857D and accessories), could I utilize a used LDG YT-100 tuner with this antenna for some if any HF operations? I am good on 2m and 70cm for now, but I would like to get on HF if possible. The plan is to utilize what I have until later in the summer when I would be able to put aside some money for a Chameleon or similar antenna if not an ATAS-120A.

The radio is not modded and I will be running legal, this is why I am not sure about the tuner as the ads imply "just add an antenna and you are good". Does this mean any antenna, or one for that specific band that just needs some help getting tuned?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Joe
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:57:45 PM »

I think you'd be happier with Hamstick antennas ($31 at HRO) or MFJ HF Sticks ($15 at MFJ). These have 3/8-24 mounting and will attach to your mag mount.

I've mounted Hamsticks on a single magnet mount. A fishing line guy will help it stay put.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:11:56 PM by WX7G » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:03:08 PM »

If you're going to use hamsticks, you'll need a more substantial mag mount than the wilson. You'd be better off with some sort of bracket in any case.

AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:49:21 PM »

Alan,

What do you recommend for a cheap alternative until I can invest in better antennas? I am not worried about all bands, a few hf bands would suffice until mid-summer. This is why I asked about the tuner and my Wilson. I understand this way is not the suggested route, but straight to the point, will it work?

And take my word for it, when the time comes, I'll be asking you a lot more questions for a proper mobile station! lol

Thanks for all the replies.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:57:34 AM »

You can get almost anything to work. How effective that work is, remains to be seen.

And, I don't think the LDG tuner has enough matching range to do what you'd like it to do. In fact, I'd be surprised if it would match an 8 foot CB whip on 20 meter. It might (?) tune it on 17 or perhaps 15.

A Yaesu FC-40 will matching a CB whip on 40, but between the losses in the tuner, the whip itself, and the ground losses, the overall is close to 90%. Here too, you have to define work.

AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 06:51:34 AM »

6m, 10m, 12, 15, 20m? Any of these bands?

If I can get decent to fairly good performance this way, even on only 2-3 bands, I would be happy until my funds increased. Which is exactly when more questions will be asked.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 06:57:03 AM »

20-6 meters? Hamsticks will work well on these bands. The MFJ HF Sticks will too and they are $15 each.
WZ3O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 12:51:40 PM »

6m, 10m, 12, 15, 20m? Any of these bands?

If I can get decent to fairly good performance this way, even on only 2-3 bands, I would be happy until my funds increased. Which is exactly when more questions will be asked.

OPEK HVU 100 multi band HF/VHF/UHF antenna, R&L only place I found selling it...it's a"knock off" of a Comet UHV-6 ($170). It works great, for about $75.00, with a tuner & you can "tune" coils for use without a tuner..You will need a heavy duty mount for another $50 - 75, but that includes coax....you may never need to buy another setup.

I talked "over the pond" regularly & other DX on 20, 17, 15 etc & it defaults as a good 2M, 440 & 6M even with coils (2 max) attached...

My 2¢s....good luck & enjoy the 857D, had one mobile & really liked it.... Wink
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 04:22:55 PM »

Gee Gary, do (did) you realize the Opek antenna is a 50 ohm resistor with a radiating (?) element attached to the center conductor of the coax? Perfect match on any band, but the efficiency is all but zilch!

AC0HD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25:30 AM »

I must admit the Opek hvu-100 is a 'knock-off' but it is my back-up when I cannot use my High Sierra and it works quite well whatever you might think about it. Not a High Sierra but works really well for under $100.

I just made half a dozen DX QSOs over the weekend with it on the road in addition to a mobile to mobile QSO with an operator in the SD QSO party from Missouri. He gave me a S-9 +20 signal report...

Again...not my first choice but for economy or temporary it definitely will put a good signal out there...as always, though make sure you have a good ground to the frame or the best antenna will only be a wind catcher.

73 / 99-
Les
WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »

A short antenna with a good matching network will radiate just as well as an expensive antenna of the same length with a proper coil at the bottom. 

Yes, both will be inefficient compared to a quarter wave whip (on 40 m?, LOL) but the antenna doesn't know the difference between a 4' whip with a matching coil at the base, or a 4' whip with an antenna tuner.   The ONLY issue is matching it to your rig so that the rig works well.

Ken

N3IDG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 09:33:37 PM »

an antenna with a 3/8-24 will not work on a wilson 5000 magnet it is a 239 connector .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: