Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: want a straight key  (Read 12623 times)
GM0WEZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »

The way I see it, there are three types of straight key:

1. Low mass, short keys with the knob low on the desk, used for American style sending. J38 is typical example. The best of this style I believe is the Junker. Very expensive new, very cheap used from German ebay. It is an old design, having been used by U-boats in the war.

2. High mass, short keys with a higher knob, used for British style sending. The Holy Grail here is the Marconi Marine 365 series, but the Kent is very very close and much cheaper.

3. Long lever keys: Mostly used by professional maritime operators. The Swedish key, hi-Mound copies of the Swedish key, the NATO/Admirality key, the Marconi PS213, the Amplidan, the SKCC key, and various Amplidan/PS213 copies.

I definitely prefer the long lever key - I can send faster in measured testing, with fewer errors. the NATO/Admirality key can be had off UK ebay for anything from £30 to £200 pounds sterling. It's heavy, and shipping will be a killer. The Amplidan and PS213 are collectors items - circa £300 pounds sterling or more.
KB3TXH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 06:20:59 AM »

"Bengali" refers to stuff, like tigers, found in Bangladesh. "Begali" is an Italian guy who makes aircraft parts and telegraph keys.

To N6GND, Good to know.

I will definitely avoid those Bengal tigers, But I wouldn't mind congratulating Mr. Begali on the beauty of his keys.

You would think that after visiting his web site all these times, I would have noticed the difference in spelling.
Either I am getting old, or I have the ability to narrowly focus. I'm stickin with focused. Hi

P.S. This is just my personal preference, but for a lowly $70 more you could buy the beautiful begali Blade instead.  Grin
N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »

I will definitely avoid those Bengal tigers, But I wouldn't mind congratulating Mr. Begali on the beauty of his keys.
You would think that after visiting his web site all these times, I would have noticed the difference in spelling.
Either I am getting old, or I have the ability to narrowly focus. I'm stickin with focused. Hi
P.S. This is just my personal preference, but for a lowly $70 more you could buy the beautiful begali Blade instead.  Grin
We're all getting old, but our typos don't always allow for bringing the topic of tigers into the world of cw keys.

I agree about the high quality of Begali keys--I have a Begali bug and it's really something else. It almost escapes the category of the bug as a noisy, clattering, ungainly contraption. Almost, but not quite. Some of us elders love contraptions.

I do think, however, that the NT9K-designed SKCC key is superb, and it's a contraption in the best possible sense.
KB3TXH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 05:19:19 AM »

dang, I am a sucker for a new key, and your recommendation of the skcc key just may be the one that convinced me to try one.
It doesn't appear that they have any for sale right now though, so maybe the urge will pass.
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 05:19:34 PM »

GHD GT502MIL, just received mine today.
KB3TXH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 08:39:12 AM »

Oh yes, I have looked at the GDH stuff. And I am amazed that after working 45 years in the manufacturing industry, I never saw a tool, like the GDH, made with such artistry.....Jim..kb3txh
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 08:46:17 AM »

Of course, back in the "old days"  I took a broken piece of hacksaw blade, two screws and a piece of wood. 
Result"  dah dit  dah dit   dah dah dit dah.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 08:48:32 PM »

Of course, back in the "old days"  I took a broken piece of hacksaw blade, two screws and a piece of wood. 

I used an arrangement just like that!  No matter how pretty it looks, or how much you spent on it, it's still a single-pole, single-throw switch, and it sounds just the same on the other end of the QSO.

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WD6GLA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 04:58:10 PM »

Whatever key you do decide on  .... I can almost guarantee you won't stop at just one  Smiley  ..... key collecting is addictive and each one has its own "personality" .  I'm partial to the Junkers myself ,  but I still like to switch them around occasionally .

N7BDY   Bob
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »

I used an arrangement just like that!  No matter how pretty it looks, or how much you spent on it, it's still a single-pole, single-throw switch, and it sounds just the same on the other end of the QSO.

Pat K7KBN

ya...I reckon u still sound like ur sendin' with ur foot no matter what u use  Grin
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »

Ha! Bengali. But you are not alone. Even people who own this other one call it a Junkers.

Check again: no 's'. At least mine came without it  Wink

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: