Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pelican Cases  (Read 3194 times)
KC8QVO

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »

I'm not real sure where to post this so I am guessing the Misc. forum is as good of a place as any.

Pelican Cases. I have a brief case size case I made in to a go-kit for my FT-857D. I have a K2 that I built and take with me places too, but I haven't built a case for it at this point in time.

My company has me traveling around the country a few times a year. I was in Florida since Sunday and got to thinking it would be nice to have a good size case I can check as baggage and also be able to protect my radios. The only radio I took with me was my HT this trip, everything went as carry-on (no issues through security what so ever). My goal is to be able to pack one of my HF radios (and associated power supply, wires, tuner...), have it all be adequately protected, as well as have plenty of space for the rest of my clothes and all.

I know that baggage handlers are not very gentle on suitcases - hence the Pelican idea. The go-kit I originally built (I believe it is a 1460 model Pelican case with pick-n'-pluck foam) is VERY durable and I wouldn't hesitate sending that through the airpoirt. My intent with that case was for it to be durable and float - which it satisfies. Scaling that up to a much larger suit case size unit might be a bit different.

Do any of you have experience with traveling with Ham radio in a similar scenario? What size case did you use, is it satisfactory on space for your application? Too big? Too small? What about protection for the radios? Can you accomplish that without loading up the radio area with foam leaving limited space for the rest of your clothes and gear?

I don't have an issue with packing "light". Everything I took went carry on this past trip and there were only a couple other things I would have taken had space allowed. The main idea for me is I need to check a bag/case with my main gear in it to minimize what I carry on the plane - for the sake of logistics, comfort, and other passengers - while allowing space and protection for the radios.
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »

Pelican cases are crap. Starlight Cases make Pelicans look like paper bags, and are cheaper to boot.
KJ6EAD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:57:33 AM »

Pelican cases are crap. Underwater Kinetics Cases make Pelicans look like mesh bags. If you want to use a case for different loads and mixed loads instead of customizing for a particular load, get rid of the foam system and replace it with padded moveable panels.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:16:34 AM by KJ6EAD » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:10:17 AM »

I've found Pelican cases to be somewhat more than fecal matter.  When not in my vehicle running HF mobile, like you, I carry my IC-7000, and a power supply in a large, bright yellow Pelican case.  It gets banged around in the wayback of my SUV, and of course I've never had any problems with it.  I don't plan on taking it white water rafting, or giving it to a gorilla to play with like they did in the old Samsonite luggage commercials.  I prefer the option of separating my clothing from my radio gear.  I find it more versatile.  I can take my clothes and leave the gear in the trunk for later.
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:13:58 AM »

v Smiley v

If it works for you, it works for you. It doesn't take much to break a Pelican, and by break I mean shatter a hole in the side. The decompression valve isn't a valve at all, just one leaky o-ring. The handle is more fragile than the case itself. With starlight, you can literally drive over them with a tracked 100-ton vehicle and the gear inside will be fine.
KJ6EAD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 05:05:57 PM »

Angry All of my Pelican cases have leaked. None of my UK cases have.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »

In 2000 I travelled to 5R8 (Madagascar) and back with my TS-940S/AT
in a Pelican 1640, and my Ameritron AL-80 (~60lbs) in a Pelican 1620 case.
(Tube removed obviously). I replaced the open cell foam sold with
Pelican cases with mostly custom cutout closed cell foam section.

No problems, everything arrived safely and in perfect working condition
after both trips. Maybe Pelican has downgraded their standards over
the last 10 years? Though I would not travel again with the 940, (44 lbs)
it was the best HF rig I owned at the time. I still own these cases and
would not hesitate to use them again, ever.

Of course airline baggage regulations have changed a lot in intervening years.
I was fortunate enough to apply for and be granted excess baggage waivers from both
Singapore Air and Air Madagascar, so I paid no extra fees.
(If you decide to try this, and I am not sure they even grant waivers
anymore with the state of the economy, write to the airline's Freight Manager,
NOT Customer Service, Customer Relations, your travel agaent, etc).
73, Ken AD6KA/5R8GQ
W9CN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »

I have more than dozen Pelican cases in sizes from small to 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot 0370 cases that I give to Fed Ex all of the time and over the last 14 years I had one damaged and Pelican replaced it under their lifetime warranty, no questions asked.

I used to ship my FT 920 with Astron supply all over the US as baggage in the late 90's in a Pelican case and I never had a problem.  I still have that case and it must have more than 40K airline miles on it.

Mike Pappas
W9CN
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »

I've shlepped literally millions of dollars worth of hardware around the globe in Starlights courtesy of the U.S. Army. That doesn't mean anything. It's like saying "well I get lots of QSOs with this vertical", doesn't mean its any good. If you have Pelicans and like them, good for you. If you hit the side of a Pelican with any force, it'll crack. If you have it filled with weighty objects and drop it on a corner, it'll crack or snap a hinge. Their quality hasn't gone down, they've always made with plastic that looks strong. A Pelican is little better than a hard sided suitcase.

Pelican  - Can be smashed to bits with a bat or golf iron.
Starlight - Can be placed under each wheel of a 10,000 pound HMMWV. Can be driven over by a 100 ton tank. There is nothing you can do to a Starlight to damage the equipment inside other than subject it to so many Gs of deceleration that the foam completely compresses and the object inside strikes the case wall.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:51:30 AM »

......Starlight - Can be placed under each wheel of a 10,000 pound HMMWV. Can be driven over by a 100 ton tank.....

Case wars!  So I'm sitting here contemplating the chances of the above scenario occuring to my personal gear.  The next time I'm in the path of an M1A1, I'll keep that in mind.  Perhaps you have an axe to grind with Pelican, I don't know.  But you do realize that the original poster (who's probably long gone by now) asked only about combining his personal effects, clothes, footwear etc. with his radio gear into one piece of "luggage"?  I think that fact has been lost in the what-brand-you-should-really-own rant.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:54:28 AM by K3GM » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »

I think what people are trying to say is that Pelican cases have more of a 'thought of' reputation than an actual 'it happened' reputation.  Just like with about anything that has a well known name, you're paying for the name rather than the quality of the product.
K9YNF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 03:22:47 PM »

I just returned from my third IOTA DXpedition, this time to rare Fox Island, Alaska, NA-197.

After exhaustive research, I chose for this airline and boat trip the Pelican 1510 case with interior black foam for my Elecraft K3/100. It just squeaked in with foam at the two ends of the radio. I chose this particular case because it is the maximum size Pelican Carry-On and it handled my need beautifully. It has a lifetime guarantee. I could have afforded any case and this is the one for me, purchased via Amazon.com. Cost: $146.49, including free shipping.

I also purchased an SKB 2SKB-4814W Deluxe ATA Golf Travel Case for my TransWorld TW2010L antenna. It has an unconditional lifetime warrantee. This hardside rolling golf case really made it so much easier to get around airports, taxis, etc and I also purchased this on Amazon.com. I FedExed it back home from Alaska and it had no issues either.

Wayne, K9YNF
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »

.....the Pelican 1510 case with interior black foam for my Elecraft K3/100..... I chose this particular case because it is the maximum size Pelican Carry-On and it handled my need beautifully. It has a lifetime guarantee.....

So it has a lifetime guarantee.  Do they also guarantee to replace anything that the case is holding if it gets damaged by failure of the case?  I don't know the answer--that is why I ask.  If so, then the Pelican case is indeed better--even if it will not stand up to abuse like other cases will.

If not.....  I think you get my drift.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »

I've never owned any pelicans, but if I did I think I'd keep them in cages, not cases.

YMMV.  Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »

I have four Pelican cases of various sizes, two of which are at least 15 years old.   I use them in all my outdoor adventures.  They've been left outside in rain and snow and tied down in canoes and rafts in white water.  I've never had a problem, and my electronics and cameras have always been bone dry and operational. 

Chuck  NI0C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: