Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-contestors Contacting Contestors  (Read 602 times)
VE7AXU

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2005, 06:50:35 AM »

If I hear a contest going on and I ccontact one of the stations does that 'mess up' their record keeping or their score? For example if the contest requires a QSO serial number and I don't haveone because I'm not an entrant should I keep clear or can they usually count by brief QSO?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 11:51:22 AM »

As suggested, always listen to a few contacts made by other stations first, so you know what kind of information is required.  Then, make contacts as you like, giving the correct information.

Don't say "I'm not in the contest," because...

1.  Nobody cares
2.  It wastes time
3.  The station you're working might assign you a serial number of "001."  If you say the same thing to ten different stations, they might all assign you a serial number of "001."  Then, you'll have ten "001s" in ten different stations logs, and they'll all get tossed out as zero credit due to the obvious mistake.

WB2WIK/6
NG1I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 07:37:24 AM »

Just make up a serial number starting with 001 and any other report (usually but not always an RST) BUT you must listen first and hear what exchange information is being transmitted both ways to give you an idea of what the exchange must be for it to count for the contester....Remember, he has NO time for a QSO and must move on to make points and Q's at the fastest rate he can especially if he/she is off and running and there's many others contesters trying to work him.
NG1I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 02:01:12 PM »

Thank you WB2WIK  for your added comments I forgot to even think about and yes giving an 001 everytime a non-contester makes a contact with contester, it will mess things up especially as most contest programs assign serial numbers automatically......if there is a descrepency, your contact doesn't get...it has happened to me.

Thanks again WB2WIK/6

NG1I
Frank
NN8Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 01:42:43 PM »

"As suggested, always listen to a few contacts made by other stations first, so you know what kind of information is required. Then, make contacts as you like, giving the correct information.

Don't say "I'm not in the contest," because...

1. Nobody cares
2. It wastes time
3. The station you're working might assign you a serial number of "001." If you say the same thing to ten different stations, they might all assign you a serial number of "001." Then, you'll have ten "001s" in ten different stations logs, and they'll all get tossed out as zero credit due to the obvious mistake."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Just to shed some light on this, from the perspective of a total newbie -

1.  You're listening to some interesting activity, and as usual, don't understand half of what's going on but obviously one guy is trying to rack up lots of contacts quickly.
2.  You hear the main guy calling for any contact, over and over.
3.  You decide to give it a whirl and help him out.
4.  Then he asks for a report and you have no idea what that means.  He asks again and mentions something about a contest.
5.  So you say, "I'm not in the contest" so as to explain/imply, "thats why I don't have a number like everyone else".

Someone explained some of it to me, and I've spent some time on contesting.com and ARRL but still haven't found the info in writing that explains the basics.

And that's why I'm on this forum, still looking!  Until I understand it, I won't be anyone's contact any more, and that's not good.

N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 06:08:30 PM »

Does it matter? The bands are open to all. If not in the contest and asked for a contact give the requested information and let the contester straighten it out. I don't care for some contests but its part of the game and I'll give the points if I can as long as I can continue my QSO with a few interutptions. "You will be found....play nice!"
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 08:17:02 PM »

It is most beneficial if there is a symbiotic relationship between the contester and non-contester.

The contester wants points.

The non-contester may want QSL cards, new countries, new zones, new states, new counties, new grid squares etc or simply a reason to play radio.

Contest time is a good time to rack up lots of the above.

I certainly can't compete against the big guns, but I do take part in some contests because I want some of the above (usually new countries or states). Many of the contesters are at least kind enough to upload their logs to LoTW, if not send me a card.  Some of the contest stations even have special cards for contest operation.

The contesters get their points, and I get my entities and their cards.  Everybody wins.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »

Regarding exchanges, the best advice is to listen.  If you are near a computer see if you can look up the contest.  

Listening is what you should do before keying the mike or pounding brass anyway...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: