Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drilling Hole in Masonry Wall  (Read 6162 times)
K3SGB

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2011, 04:50:43 AM »

Can someone recommend tools for drilling a 2" diameter hole in a brick and block foundation wall?

In the past for things like 4" drier ducts, I've used a 1/4" diameter masonry bit on a hammer drill and drilled a circular pattern of holes.  Then after some work with masonry chisels, I got what I wanted, but the result wasn't exactly pretty.  This time I'm aiming to install a 2" PVC pipe through-wall for antenna feed lines and would like to do the job quicker and cleaner, so I've been looking at various masonry hole saw options.

There seem to be three kinds of masonry hole saws - carbide grit, carbide tooth, and diamond chip/grit.  Standard hole saws are short (2" or so), and core bits are longer (9-12" or more).  Since my wall is 8" think overall, half brick and half cinder block, a diamond core bit of 8" or more might be great, but they tend to be pricey.  Has anyone used any of the cheaper hole saw alternatives with good success?  And if so, did you find that a pilot bit was a necessity?  I ask the later since some of the hole seems seem to not have pilot bits.

73 - John, K3SGB
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:08:41 AM »

You may want go to a tool rental store.

They can suggest what to use and you won't have to buy an expensive tool that you might not use again.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:34:57 AM »

for that deep a hole.. yes     rental,,,,,,,,,,,

I work at a hardware store some times.   
that kind of  hole saw would cost you more than  50 bucks for a one time hole.

you can rent a huge  hammer drill and  concrete hole saw  for that..

other option is drill a pilot hole,  drill as deep as you can with hole saw.    whack out the plug  with  chisel..    hole saw again.. whack again..  wit  pilot hole you can  hole saw from  out side too..

you can get   drill bit extneders for a dollr or two.    2 set screws onend to  lock onto  bit  or   saw..  drill as deep as you want.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:09:27 AM »

Concrete blocks are hollow so if you stay near one edge of a block it may not be that much of a problem. If its a solid poured wall it will be a much more difficult task.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:22:22 PM »

John you can rent a boring tool at a tool rental company. it is basically a drill with a vacuum base that will suction   right to the block and you can rent the proper sized bit to drill the right sized hole you need. It is not the cheapest method but it will give you the best results. Plus you rent both the tool and the bit many times by the day or by the hour so it can save you some money.  Jeff
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »

Can someone recommend tools for drilling a 2" diameter hole in a brick and block foundation wall?.......

Yellow Pages.  I'd call a concrete coring company.  I wanted an 8"hole in my poured concrete basement wall.  Here's link to a picture of the results; sharp, clean, no breakout. Guy was in and out in a hour.  A well spent three hundred bucks.  
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/TwoSevenRight/P1020459.jpg
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:07:29 PM by K3GM » Logged
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »

B&D hammer drills are pretty cheap and will hold up to the kind of use you'll put on it. Alternatively, I have a few Makita 18v Lithium-Ion cordless tools, one of which is a hammer drill. It will drill through structural clay block like it's made of pine. Plus it is light enough to use as an every day drill. I really can't say enough good things about modern cordless equipment.
KD0FAT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 07:06:32 AM »

You say this is a brick and block foundation wall: Does this mean brick veneer outside, with a block structural wall?

Your cleanest option is a diamond core drill. You can rent the drill/bit combination. Most core drill setups work best vertically, and are water lubricated to preserve the expensive diamond bit. Talk to a rental center about drilling a horizontal hole--it may be tricky if you are inexperienced with this work. Core drills are very heavy.

A hammer drill used on the hollow block area would work well. Brick is much harder than concrete block, and difficult to drill with a carbide hammer drill. If you want a clean hole in the brick veneer, a wet diamond core drill is the best option. Option 2 is to remove a few bricks, and then reinstall cut brick pieces with matching mortar around the pipe sleeve after install. This is for someone with a bit of masonry experience.

If this sounds like too much, your best bet is to have a professional do the core drilling for you.

just my 2 cents (after 31 years in commercial construction)  --73, Al

BTW, if this is a block + brick veneer wall, your overall thickness is block plus brick thickness, plus a space between the two. An 8" block wall with brick veneer could easily be 12" in total thickness. You can check overall wall thickness at a basement window.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:18:25 AM by KD0FAT » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 08:41:53 AM »

BTW, if you core the wall, the contractor should leave the core with you.  If it's done correctly, you should be able to replace the core somedaywith a little mortar, and return the wall almost to its original look.  I have the 8" core to my basement wall and plan to replace it when I relocate some day.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 08:19:58 AM »

Peeping toms will be proscecuted!!

Allen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: