Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An open letter to contesters...  (Read 1046 times)
K5ZN

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »

I have not done any sending in at least 5 years. So why don't all you  bogus "contesters" stop deluging my mailbox with bogus QSL cards, OK? Because I am not sending you a card so you can get your stupid award, I don't care how desirable my grid square is. You are cheaters, you got that? Cheaters... cheaters... cheaters!

And this is not limited to individuals, you "QSL services" can stop bothering me too. I am not sending money or SASE to receive cards from cheaters. I honestly wonder how much of this kind of cheating is going on.

This kind of behavior is why I stopped doing Ham Radio in the first place, after receiving loads of QSLs from unlogged QSOs. Now you are pestering me so bad I wonder if I should renew later this year.

This isn't what I remember ham radio being all about...

Sincerely, Rachel Cogent K5ZN, Santa Fe
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 01:51:01 PM »

Consider the following possibilities:

1.  Honest mistakes in copying the call due to wishful thinking.

2.  Someone has "hijacked" your call and is operating on the air using your call.  The stations requesting your QSL can hardly be faulted for that.

While we've all gotten some invalid requests for QSLs, it is usually only a very small handful per year.

How many are you receiving?  If it is a lot of them, my bet is that item 2 above may be the problem.

Note that you are not obligated to reply to a QSL at all, especially if they did not include an SASE.  If they have sent you an SASE, simply write across their card "NIL" for not in log, drop it in the envelope and send it off.

Another thing you might consider is to edit your profile on QRZ.com to state that you have not operated since such and so a date and that all QSOs during that time are not valid and you will not respond.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 01:52:59 PM »

Also don't fault the "QSL services".  They've received cards to forward to you and they have no way of knowing that they are invalid.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 02:05:24 PM »

<< I have not done any sending in at least 5 years...This kind of behavior is why I stopped doing Ham Radio in the first place... I wonder if I should renew later this year. >>

Sounds like maybe you shouldn't renew, if you're this bitter about what amounts to junk mail.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 04:47:24 PM »

What do QSL cards have to do with contesting?
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 07:54:39 AM »

"I don't care how desirable my grid square is." It is?

Yup, time to pack it in. If you no longer enjoy the radio it's time.

Strange, I guess that my grid when working out of Laos and Cambodia wasn't rare enough..only had 2 bad cards out of over 600 logged...and it was possible that those 2 were my error!

Don't do anything hasty, stick around and see if you can't get back into the mood.

73, de Lindy
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 10:19:14 AM »

Rachel, there may be a couple of unscrupulous contesters out there that would try to slam their QSL requests to you for an card but not a "deluges" worth.

If you are truly and consistently geting a large number of card requests for contest contacts that you didn't make, then I'd say for sure that someone is using your callsign illegally.

Are all of the calls for one particular contest or during a particular period?

You may have the documentation here to provide to the FCC for a complaint.

I wouldn't return any card unless your so inclined and I'd return each with a Not In Log written across the info box.

I also would contact the sponsors of the contests (CQ, ARRL, etc) and let them know of your information so that they can also do some checking and possibly delete your call from the contest logs.

You worked hard for your callsign, and regardless of your activity, earned the priviledge to have it and only you.  Please don't get mad but do get even.

Phil  KB9CRY
AC0DB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 08:56:03 AM »

>This isn't what I remember ham radio being all about...<

Rachel:

Your demeanor in this post makes me think the very same thing.  Very sad, indeed.

73 de Matt, ACØDB
Broomfield, Colorado
AA8LL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 07:20:57 AM »

Somebody needs a hug!  When I feel bad, I pet a kitten.  Works for me.

Wade
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 11:50:29 AM »

I've received only perhaps 3 or 4 in my whole life and I'm sure they were honest mistakes. I don't think I know all there is to know about this one.
K5ZN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 08:06:22 AM »

Thanks to a ham who p-mailed me, I may have identified the problem as misread calls. The real operator is a very active contester who has informed me that he is not very interested in QSLs from operators who misread his call.

So I will assume the cards are not from cheaters but the result of sloppy copying. Thanks for all your comments, good or bad.
KC0QXU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 10:42:16 PM »

Gee.....And the possibility occured to me that they're still trying to get cards out of you from 5 years ago!? Doh!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: