Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Call Sign or New for QSL Cards  (Read 955 times)
WS7X

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:13:48 AM »

Ok so I still get a bunch of cards with my previous call sign and I've been sending a card back with my previous call sign.  But then I realized that I've gotten a couple cards that were not in my log - only to find out that the person sent me their new call sign and not the one I worked.  So have I been doing it wrong?  What's the protocol here?  Should you send a qsl card with the old call sign?  Or do you send a card with the new call as long as you put a note somewhere on the card with the old call sign. 

Curious what others think and what the accepted standard might be regarding this? 
Thanks
Noel   
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »

I sent a new one with my with a note that the QSO was with my old call. I do not think it matters because the ARRL awards like DXCC, count your old call plus new call in the total. I think the only time it does not count, is when you move from you current location.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »

It's really pretty simple.  QSL cards sent should always be clear on the callsign used at the time of QSO.  Any cards I receive for QSO's that aren't in my log get tossed in the recycling bin.

Chuck  NI0C
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »

QSL cards sent should always be clear on the callsign used at the time of QSO.  Any cards I receive for QSO's that aren't in my log get tossed in the recycling bin.

I forgot to answer this, but this is dead on. If it is not in the log, there is no return QSL. One reason the ARRL does not accept eQSL is for this reason. It is insecure and there are too many phantom QSOs.
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »

One thing you may want to consider. If you send a DX station a card with an obsolete call, they many quickly look up your old callsign in their log, not find it (since you contacted them with your new callsign), write 'NIL' on one of their cards, and send it to you through the bureau. This is particularly true if English is not their first language.
I would just use your old cards for contacts made using your old call, and get some new ones printed with the new call asap.
WS7X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »

one vote for sending  a card with new call and a note with old call. 

Chuck's talking about the QSO not being in the log...I'm asking about the call sign used. Obviously the QSO is in the log just with the old call.  So you invalidate the contact because the person happened to change calls since you worked em??

W5ESE says don't send a DX station a QSL card with my old call sign even though I worked em with my new call sign??? Not sure why anyone would do that but...

Maybe there's no wrong way as long as its clear what call sign was used during the contact.  OK thanks for the replies folks.

Noel

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:26:28 AM »

Even though I changed calls several years ago, I still have cards with the old call to cover long-ago QSOs. I send the card with the call in use at the time of the QSO.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 02:30:08 PM »

Chuck's talking about the QSO not being in the log...I'm asking about the call sign used. Obviously the QSO is in the log just with the old call.  So you invalidate the contact because the person happened to change calls since you worked em?

It really is pretty simple.  If you send me a QSL card with a previous callsign on it and no notation anywhere on the card of the callsign you used during the QSO, chances are I won't recognize who the card is from.  How am I supposed to know? Guess?  When I receive a QSL card, I open my logging program, sort the log by callsign, and do a search for the callsign on the card.  If the callsign doesn't show up I might then sort the log by date and look to see what comes up at the date and time marked on the card.  If the name on the card matches the name given during the QSO, I might guess that you worked me with a new callsign and were too cheap to get new cards printed. 

It is hard enough to get busy people to respond to QSL card requests.  If you want to maximize your QSL return rate, then do everything possible to make it easy for people to respond.  Sending out cards with the wrong callsign on them is a sure way to get ignored.

Chuck  NI0C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: