Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRX for South Orkney fun  (Read 19004 times)
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2011, 08:04:04 PM »

Quote from: WB3CQM link=topic=73078.msg495294#msg495294

That would be great topic - What makes you a big gun - What antenna did you use to work VP8ORK -

Vertical dipole and 100 watts on 20m CW and SSB. Strangely, I had a far easier time working them on SSB than on CW. The opposite is usually the case.

I do not think it is strange that you had a harder time to work them on cw. I think it is the trend . I think it if prof to new hams and ARRL  and every one in general how big mores code is in Amateur radio .

The pile ups are bigger than ever . The signals are stronger and the operators are better. The Summit has changed dxing forever. Some one is spotted and the pile up is created faster than you can believe.

More hams have better radios and better antenna systems. I may be wrong but when I was dxing in the 70 and 80's we did not have the stations you see all over today .

I do not use skimmer but they are in use. I have never seen hams shift in freq as these days. I find the QRG and it is like every one finds it at the same time.

Look at the stats
                            cw           ssb        rtty
63643 total qso -- 41945        17090     4608

can you believe those numbers ?  I know some of the cw pile ups were tuff to crack

I use a C-31XR  3 wide spaced el on 20  4 wide spaced on 15 and 7 el on 10 .   at 70 feet and at 80 feet a Delta 240/230 shorten beam. plus the two T verticals on 160 and 80 . - 100 watts on all the contacts except 15 and 10 I cheated and used the amp.

Thanks every one for the information about your antenna system.

jim
KO7I

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »

Here in W. WA copy was tough. This is my big gun station...  Grin
Rig is a Ten Tec OMNI VI, amp is a Dentron Clipperton L. running 750W out. I have a Drake R-4C with a full set of Sherwood mods that really helped in digging them out of the QRN. Many times the Drake was 539 while “6” was 339 (or worse).
I had a 200ft long inverted L 70ft up in a Douglas fir, the remainder of which sloped to the south with the end of the wire about 20ft off the ground. After the first weekend, in a panic I pulled the 200 ft wire down and put up a 20M double zepp sloping to the south. Most likely this was a mistake and it prevented me from picking them up on 80. Oh well, lesson learned.
I was only able to work them on 40 CW Friday 2/5 at 0600Z. Nothing to brag about, I worked hard for what I got, a lot harder than I did for Peter Island on 40 CW. I was using a 1/4 wave mono band vertical in those days and at a different QTH.
Not convinced the zepp is going to stay. I may go back to my 200ft Inverted L. In the mean time I will use the zepp and see how it does on the ARRL DX CW Contest.
I found it very interesting to see the stats on VP8ORK CW vs SSB. Nice to see CW is not dead.
I would like to thank the VP8ORK team for the outstanding demonstration of operating skills at it's finest. I learned a lot just listening to them.
73, Don KO7i
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2011, 08:35:29 AM »

I worked the T30 guys this morning. This has got to be the best DXpedition ever because I worked them. The operators are fantastic and the equipment is outstanding because I worked them. And... not only did I work them, but I could hear them too!  Grin
Pages: Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: