Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call me crazy but I might try it  (Read 2570 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »

Wouldent you get better bandwith with it center tapped??  Grin
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »

Could you call it a "Fermented Beverage Antenna?"  Grin

Ken  AD6KA

Would this be considered a form of loaded antenna?

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 05:37:54 AM »

A vertical made out of kegs would have considerable scrap value and would be better sold for scrap than used for building.

Yep sell the kegs for scrap and use the $$$ to buy a decent yagi.  You won't regret the decision.

Dick AD4U
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 06:56:57 AM »

At age 48 I returned to college to finish off a degree started
decades before. I was surrounded by 18-21 y/o youngsters.
But they were nice to the old guy (me) and invited me to
some of their parties. I arrived with a case of non screw top

I started going back @ 45, returning to school to finish a degree also. So far the experience has been great, but no keggers for me.

Anyway, to get back on topic, would a stack of empty beer kegs  make a very wideband vertical, or would it be the ultimate beverage antenna?

N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 09:03:24 AM »

I am starting to wonder now that i have begun this rather ah disturbing adventure if the design of the kegs you know being double walled for insulation qualities is going to have some sort of a effect that i have not planned for such as will this thing act like one mighty big capacitor?  I am wondering just what type of behavior to expect from it.  i already discovered the effects of removing the contents of the keg. and believe we was i no shape to erect nothing! but hey that's what tomorrow is for as the say. But i sure could use the help of a EE to answer the above question is this thing going to act like a mighty big capacitor or some other odd behavior.  i do not see investing the time and money in this if my thought our correct.

Where is W8JI when you need him he pretty well tinkered with every thing i bet he have an idea besides the fact i am slightly nuts. Jeff     
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 09:10:05 AM »

I'm going to make a wild uneducated guess and say that due to skin effect the double wall will not impact the resonance.

KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 07:15:21 AM »

Just model it,
Diameter        1.34 feet
Length           42.85 feet

Physically  its going to be a bear, no tapper, slenderness ratio is uniform. Your guys can be for a capacity hat.
Sounds like a field day project.
But one heck of a 60m quarter wave.  Rough resonant Frequency 5.46 MHZ

Tom Kb3hg
KC9SFG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 04:27:31 AM »

Or you could just try something like this:

http://www.economist.com/node/18007506?story_id=18007506

After all that beer you could use actual.... aw, nevermind....
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 03:20:16 PM »

Grin Be certain to check the continuity of the vertical before transmitting.

I hope you have a good "KEG-OHM METER"!!!    Shocked

73,  Cal  K4JSR
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 07:51:11 PM »

Jeff, great idea, an economic stimulus plan we can really get behind, or pass out under, either way. If case you  haven't thought of the  100 acres of radials it usually takes  for these wonderful verticals to work, why God invented dipoles , you could give each key  draining person a wire to hold when they pass out at the base . And to think someone at qst was saying hams don't make the hobby interesting for younger people , and more dangerous. Your right up there with ben franklin,  Inventors like you are what make america  patent it before the chinise get ahold of it .  Try for a federal grant . I can hear it now " I got a beer keg antenna with no cost to me , medicare and my insurance paid for it all "  good luck and send picutues soon kg4ymc    oh ask for a federal loan for the cost of  kegs, gov can spend money on less important things.  look out cushcraft  , hustler . check the solder joiints, don't be like mfj  73 kg4ymc
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »

Jeff, one other idea, if you could solderer something that looked like moonshine stills you could call it the " white lightning antenna " great ad copy . Kg4ymc Grin
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: