Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting levels with Signallink USB, HRD, Digipan & TS-480-HX  (Read 8411 times)
W5XJ

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »

I just bought the SL-USB and am using it with my KW TS-480-HX. I have digipan and DM780 running on it. If you use a similar setup can you give me some pointers on setting the RX & TX levels on the SL-USB? Your help would be appreciated. I'd be happy to sched a phone call as well.

Thanks & 73,

Grant / W5XJ
w5xj@arrl.net
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »

The SignaLink USB is really easy:

. . Start Digipan;  Set the TS-480 to 14.068 MHz / USB (just below the PSK31 sub-band at 14.070)

. . Make sure the SignaLink is selected as its soundcard (it shows up as a "Codec" in Windows 7, probably the same in other Windows versions);

. . In Digipan, select "Mode | Tune.." -- that sends out a steady PSK31 signal;

. . Adjust the SignaLink "Transmit" knob so the TS-480 ALC meter shows _no_ ALC.

. . Adjust the SignaLink "Receive" knob so the Digipan waterfall shows a yellow backbround, with red lines for the strongest signals.

. . Adjust the SignaLink "Delay" knob to 0 (all the way left).

That should get you started.

Charles
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 04:57:41 AM »

. . Adjust the SignaLink "Transmit" knob so the TS-480 ALC meter shows _no_ ALC.

That is, increase it until you get some ALC reading then back it off a little until there is no ALC reading.
K8SI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:03:34 PM »

That is, increase it until you get some ALC reading then back it off a little until there is no ALC reading.

Start with the rig set for full power.  Then, do as instructed here, except stop cranking it up once you get to about 25-30 watts.  That should be all you need to work PSK31 and keep a really clean signal, as well as not wipe out everyone else's receivers.  There are also some data in/out levels that can be set in the menus on the radio, but start with these instructions and see how it plays.
W5XJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:11:37 PM »

Thanks for all the good info. I have made some decent contacts and it is working. WAS would have been much easier had I been running PSK31 a few months back. Maybe i can get WAS award on SSB and on PSK31? I really like the Signal Link USB and think it was a good investment. I need to check the ALC tonight to see if that is right or not. I also learned to kill the processing as well to prevent overdriving. I have my power at 25 - 30 watts.

I've also used HRD DM780 with success too. I use the log in HRD so it is nice to have DM780 running to make logging easy. Now i need to get the right cable so i can do rig control with HRD and the 480-HX.

I hope to hear you on the bands or see you in the waterfall!

73 de W5XJ
EM12ou
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:48:55 PM »

If you want a quick WAS, pick a large RTTY contest and work it.  For "lots of contacts, all over", it's really efficient.   RTTY isn't quite as effective for weak signals as PSK31 or CW, but it's much better as a contesting mode.  And it's much better with weak signals than SSB.

Charles
KG4UPR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:04:44 PM »

Grant

I use a TS-480HX (w/500Hz and 270Hz filters), SignaLink, and HRD/DM780 (and WSPR, V4 Chat, etc.). Here are a few techniques that work well for me--

For digital modes keep the TS-480HX power set at 200W, and obtain desired output by either adjusting the menu 46 value and/or tweaking the SignaLink TX knob. Keeping the AF input level (menu 46) low minimizes susceptibility to RF pickup. I keep the Wave adjustment at about 25% to accommodate low power operating (e.g., WSPR), and find that setting menu 46 to a level of 3 is about right for PSK, Olivia, etc. For WSPR or QRP operating, a menu 46 setting of 1 is appropriate. It is convenient to define HRD macros for the desired AF input levels desired and assign to buttons. If you do not have a need for low power a wave level of 50% and menu 46 setting of 1 would be a reasonable target.

For receiving, tailoring the AF output level (menu 47) according to the IF/DSP filter in use optimizes decoding results. I use a menu 47 setting of 2 for narrow bandwidth (270 Hz), 4 for medium (500 Hz), and 9 for wide (1000+ Hz). Varying the RF gain level is also a viable and perhaps superior approach, but not as convenient. Defining HRD macros for the filter and AF output settings makes adjustment easy. It's also worthwhile to define an HRD slider for RF gain adjustment.

Keep a customized radio pane active in DM780 for ready access to frequently used adjustments (add appropriate macro/buttons and RF gain slider).

480HX/SignaLink/DM780 is an outstanding configuration for digital modes. Have fun

Bryan
KG4UPR
KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »

Good morning Grant,

I have a Kenwood TS 480 SAT with a SignalLink USB and HRD with DM780.  I have been using this combination since the first week of December.  I would echo similar comments as KG5UPR.  My radio is the 100 watt version, but I run my power at full level on the radio, and adjust my TX level with the TX dial on front of the signallink.  I have menu 46 set at 2 and menu 47 set at 5.  I have the wave set to 50% for the CODEC sound device.  I do not have any additional filters in my radio.  I typically run around 30 watts, and have received many compliments about a very clean signal with this combination.  If I want to adjust the power, I adjust the TX dial on the front of the signallink.  I have my RX dial on the signallink set at about 50% also.  I am not doing any qrp operating.  This combination works very well for me.

The other item I found out about recently was to turn on menu 45, which enables the filter for data communications.  I set my radio and DM780 for a centering frequency of 1500, and really enjoy this feature.  When I'm answering a call, I will center the frequency with DM780, and then I can adjust the filter width with my radio if necessary.  I also noticed that by centering the frequency, I don't have to adjust the TX level on the signallink except for when changing bands.

I'm still learning also, but have had good luck with this setup, and I really have enjoyed the features of the 480 and HRD and how well the package seems to play together.  Hope this helps.

Wane - KB7FSC
W5XJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »

Bryan & Wane, thank you both for the good info. I printed both messages and will try your suggestions the next time I get on PSK. Thus far I have not made any changes to the 480 menus to work digital so i'm anxious to see what happens when i do. I also found out that i needed to adjust the SL xmit level to zero ALC level which i was not doing before. Max power for me has been around 25 watts. I even made a contact on 80 meters at night into Wyoming.

PSK is really cool and i am enjoying it. HRD has a great feature that recognizes and alerts the user to various digital sigs present on the waterfall.

Thanks & 73 de W5XJ - Dallas, Texas
So any antennas.................so little time!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 07:03:52 AM »

Or...you could build or buy a PSK Meter:
http://www.ssiserver.com/info/pskmeter/
which measures and automatically adjusts your sound card drive levels
for minimum IMD. From their website:
"Our solution has been to develop a microprocessor-based RF signal sampler that periodically checks your RF output, computes its IMD locally, and automatically sets the sound card's audio level to provide the highest RF output with minimum distortion. The program can be set to run continuously in the background, so that you are free to enjoy transmitting perfect PSK31 signals!"

Pretty spiffy for only $40.....
73, Ken  AD6KA
K8SEM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »

Thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread.  I have a similar setup, was having similar problems but after following the advice above I'm up and running.

Thanks again folks !!

73, etc.

Steve K8SEM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: