Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The end of an epic era !!! BBC World service to QRT  (Read 1488 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »

This saddens me, One of the first things that got me interested in radio, let alone ham radio was the BBC.

So long and thanks for all the memories !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/28/bbc-world-service-cuts-response
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:24:41 AM »

BBC WS is not going QRT, and no one has said it would. It is reducing the number of languages it broadcasts in, due to funding cuts from the Foreign Office. Most languages to go will be ones little listened to anyway, or where the majority of listeners have on of the other major languages (english/french etc) as a second language.

KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »

Yes I suppose that QRT was a little bit over the top. Still they keep 'downsizing' and sooner or later probably wont be around at all.

How long ago was it they stopped broadcasts into NA?
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »

Britain is a victim of the same disease that destroyed the Dutch and Spanish empires - finding a gold mine in their back yard.
For the Spanish it was the new world riches, for the british it was north sea oil.
Now, the north sea oil fields are dead or dying and the profligate spending and overshoot of that 30 year party is at an end.
They are now stuck with a huge population crammed onto that small island, and social and welfare systems which were constructed during boom times.
That gigantic ferris wheel in london sort of epitomizes the situation.
The BBC is the least of their future worries.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:36:05 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:10:55 AM »

Broadcasts directly into North America via shortwave  up until about late 2002 via a shortwave relay in Canada (Oakville, ON). Broadcasts in English via shortwave can still be picked up if you're patient, otherwise you'll need to tune into a public radio station in the U.S. that carries BBC World Service. via American Public Media/American Public Radio/Public Radio International/PRI or whatever they call themselves these days. (oddly enough NPR provides a link to this program syndicator/network, which is in competition with NPR).

For a good discussion of the history and future of SW broadcasting, go to
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 05:20:40 AM »

Sorry 'bout that last post... for some reason part of my message got cut off (which is becoming more frequent and problematic, esp. with posts to eHam).

The website to check out is razonypalabra.org.

Michael KC8WUC/WDE9344
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 01:16:43 PM »

I often listen to BBC World Service in my car on Sirius and at home through the local NPR affiliate.

Neil N3DF
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »

I miss the old Radio Moscow!

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »

Ah, shortwave listening , I remember when I had  built my eico space ranger communications recever. Thought it was cool to  hear the top 10 rock songs on radio new york, didn't know it was pirate station back then . also hearing big bend and " bbc world service" had a cool errie sound to it . The woman on radio peking praising  the little red book . I think radio portugual  used to say " the west can will win or something like that . I knew the captials of foreign Vcountries , no thanks to public education . I always thought it was cool to hear a foreign station playing the song " mighty quin, was popular about the time I had my radio . Even as a kid, I thought it was strange that radio south africa I didnn't hear any blacks on it , back then and an african station . Later, hams and actually heard barry goldwater on one time, who could forget the mysterious " numbers stations "? anyone still hear them ? never knew if it was us going in , or someone broadcasting out of a country .  between boradcast frq, sometimes picking up ssb from miltary and  new york  air traffic control and some planes .  I also remember when the lower marine bands were active. a guy used to do weather reports for ships , seems liek he was around 8 m eg or in middle of old marine band . anyway  just thought kg4ymc  73
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: