Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CLUSTER SPOTS  (Read 677 times)
K2DFC

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2006, 02:20:42 PM »

Operated in the ARRL SS and Ten Meter contests.Everyone spots there contacts on the cluster,but only a few include the section. Is it me, or does this not make sence? The spot means nothing without the section.

K2DFC
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 09:29:37 PM »

If I'm operating in a category where I can use cluster spots, I'm interested in any callsign that isn't in my log....I want to work any new station.  Whether or not it's a new section or whatever is irrelevant.  I'm not against posting the section/state/whatever with the spot announcement but it seems to me having the section included with the spot is really only meaningful for those that might be, say, going for an 80 x 80 sweep or maybe chasing WAS.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:44:06 AM »

Is it me, or does this not make sence? The spot means nothing without the section.

You mean sense, right?

The section number is what your contest program is for.  The spot is just for the callsign; you have to figure out the section by listening to the station.  These days you can't tell what the section is because you're allowed to move around the country and keep your callsign.  Spotting the section also is also not "cricket" so to speak.  Some spots have it but most do not.

Phil
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:40:59 AM »

It's generally considered "bad form" to supply exchange data in the spot.  Afterall, where do we draw the line in asking the stations to be able to actually copy each other?

Also, most folks are using contest logging programs to feed spots semi-automatically to the cluster.  These programs do NOT automatically include any section (or other exchange) info in the spot.  To provide such info requires extra typing by those doing the spotting.

Mike N2MG
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:45:29 AM »

Well, yes and no.  Some use the cluster to find new mults, some use the cluster to find new contacts. Also, several logging programs will allow you to post a spot in a single keystroke, but, to include the sefction, you have to go thru a few more keystrokes. I try to include the section, but, if I am making contacts fast, I just put the call up.

73-Chuck KI9A
K2DFC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 12:52:50 PM »

Thanks for the feed-back. Everybody has a different approach to contesting. I like multipliers, so I'm always on the look-out for new ones. You can build up your score faster.

Happy Holidays
73, K2DFC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: