Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New computer.  (Read 1701 times)
AA5WG

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:44:16 AM »

Once the Sandy Bridge problem is solved I would like to buy a new computer.
Who makes good computers at a fair price?  I would be using this for ham radio, CAD and Video editing.
The box stores seem to put in the slowest RAM, under powered power supplies and not enough expansion ability,
i.e. if needed - two video cards and additional USB ports.
This would be a i7 Sandy Bridge machine with 12 or 16 GB or RAM with a power supply and cooling system to handle the job.
I don't have the skills to build this machine.
Chuck
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:10:17 PM »

Any of the major brands are good computers - most everyone will probably have a favorite from their experiences, or an un-favorite from the occational bad experience.  Most will have two or three product line levels - low to high end, personal and corporate, etc.  The higher line computers usually offer what I think you are looking for.  However, when it comes to i7 machines, they are often targeted at the higher end and more knowledgable buyer.  

As for buying the computer, if you have a Costco Warehouse Store within striking distance or can from their online store, I like to buy electronics from there because they double the warrantly and offer a no hassle 90 day return policy.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:11:56 PM by W6CD » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:35:25 PM »

Personally unless you do hard core video encoding or other VERY CPU intensive tasks a I-7 is really a waste of money for Ham radio. (mnay over buy hardware and should focus more on ram amount and 64 bit OS than just CPU speed) Even a good I-5 is a overkill but more viable here. Never spend top dollar for a computer because they get outdated very quickly. If you are a techno geek and want a new toy check out new 6 core AMD chip. It has been out for over 4 month and is fairly cheap and quite potent too and like I said it has 6 cores too. I for one used to be pro Intel and anti AMD but I have long changed. I tend to favor AMD for laptops because they have better overall chip sets than Intel does here (AMD owns ATI and integrates their Video while Intel has no decent on board video compared to AMD) Also while Intel still holds edge in overall speed, this line is getting blurry because even slower is still pretty darn fast. I have a "old " and dated Intel QuadCore in a one machine here that I bought 4 years ago and it is a pretty serious machine. Point of this again is that even few year old technology is still pretty darn fast with correct OS and memory.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:33:38 PM »

We do some 3D CAD work and video editing.
Thanks guys.  Any other suggestions?
Chuck
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:09:37 AM by AA5WG » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: