Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need mounting ideas for dodge ram 3500 quad cab  (Read 3545 times)
AJ3O

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:32:48 AM »

I just got my back-ordered remote kit that came with the Yaesu FT-857D that I broke down and bought. I temporarily have it mounted in a "homebrew" stand that I fabricated for an old CB. It works, and I guess looks all right, but this radio is far to dear to me to just have out in the open to theives and the sun. I wanted to mount the radio under the back seat in the storage compartment, "it has the fold out tray under the seat that extends out for hauling groceries, etc" but it looks as if this is out of the question as there is no airflow in that area, the metal trays fold down tight against the carpet and if there is any airflow, well, it is not very much at all. I could mount it under the front passenger seat, but this is a work truck and things tend to get dusty. There really is not anywhere else that I can see or think of to SAFELY mount it. So here are a few questions.

1. If I do mount it under the rear seat in the storage, could I get enough airflow by cutting out two air holes in the metal tray say, 6 - 8 inches apart and mounting two PC fans at the holes, each moving air in opposing directions?

2. If I were to mount it under the passenger seat, could I cover the radio in an old nylon stocking to give it some filtering to minimize the dust that would get into it through the venting holes of the radio? I was thinking of directly wrapping it and then "if needed" a slightly larger box surrounding the radio with nylon sides. These could be changed out as often as necessary, as these are far to plenty in my household as I am SEVERELY outnumbered in my home by the opposite gender.......

3. I also have the storage compartment under the front middle seat, and in the fold down arm rest/ work tray, but again, NO airflow in there and that is too expensive of a part to replace at trade-in as the modification would be way to noticeable. To me, this one is definitely out of the question as it is a company truck and I am not willing to make up the trade-in value when the time comes for the company to trade it in. I could see that being a pay check or three....

The kind gentleman at HRO strongly suggested against restricting airflow to the radio as it would cause basically a meltdown and total failure. I, like everyone else, do not like to spend money just to watch it "burn up". So with all this said, anyone have some good ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Joe
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:06:22 AM »

If you mount it in the package shelf, all you need to do is space is away from the shelf. The stock mounting hardware is enough. The radio does have a cooling fan. Whatever you do, don't cover the radio with any material.

KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »

Probably your best bet (imo) would be to mount it in the storage compartment in the back seat and cut some air holes.  Some small holes with a fan would do just fine.  These things don't need HUGE volumes of air, just some to circulate around.  But, this would be just as bad for dust as if they were under the seat.

As for putting it under the seat, I have put most of my radios under the seats for years and they seem to handle the dust.  I pull them out every 6 months and blow them out with compressed air.  The biggest problem I have had was with passengers putting their muddy boots under the seats and packing the radios with mud.  

I very much am a fan of the center console mounting.  If you can find a used console on Ebay you could pull out the decent one and butcher the used one for mounting.  In the past I have mounted several radios in there and put some fans mounted low in the compartment.  This worked very well and when I was done with the truck and had to sell it, I just slipped in the original console.  

Those are my thoughts,

Brad
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:17:37 AM »

Just remember, wherever you mount it, the heat sink gets to about 90°C, and that's rather warm!

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:19:09 AM »

On my 100 miles per day Ram, I used the driver's side, right seat bolt to secure a readio of similar size.  It was mounted there for 5 years.  It required drilling out a hole in the mounting bracket of the radio to match the size of the threaded stud.
VE6FGN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 06:02:19 PM »

Joe,

Do you have a toolbox in the bed? I'm in the process of mounting my radio, and have that as an option...not sure if I'll go that way, but it has merit- dry, safe, easy to run wires...

Cheers- Garry
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 07:54:15 PM »

I ended up mounting under the front passenger seat for now. It came out good, I just HAVE to keep the windows closed on the jobsites. I still may move it to under the rear seat in the compartment as there is a good bit of airflow, especially if I add just one PC fan in between the two compartments pulling the air from the radio side. I almost did this, but then started to think, what if I want to bring it in to the house or set it up on an outdoor bench at camp? Sooooo, front seat it was. I just might have to buy another radio later and not worry about moving either of them then. Shhhhhhhhhh  Grin lol

Yes, I thought of the bed with the cap, but I am reminded of the extreme moisture everytime I go to grab a nail, screw, or any non-galvanized or stainless steel item after a good rain. So, inside the truck it was.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Joe
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:56:21 AM »

I agree; a tool box isn't the best place especially is the warmer climes.

By the way, adding fans blowing across heat sinks really doesn't do much, internet palaver to the contrary. While it is true that adequate ventilation is needed, that's easily handled if the radio is mounted under the seat. The secret is to mount the radio away from the floor a bit, and not directly laying on it. This is easy to do as most mobile transceivers come with mounting brackets for the main unit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: