Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: movie with morse code in it .  (Read 8368 times)
KG4YMC

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:52:05 PM »

Don't know if any newer ham had seen the movie , but the  movie " On the beach " had a scene were they were trying to locate a bad code signal. The movie involved a  nuke sub, that was the onely surviving one, and  southern Australia was the  one country left alive before the radiation cloud done them  and rest of world in . Not a cherry moive, but they traced the morse code signal to seattle , there was still power, and a window had been left open , it had a blind cord that had gotten stuck on  a  straight key , and also a coke bottle had tiped over, when the wind blew it closed the key and was still sending an intermitent signal. There was no one alive,  eventually the radiation reaches them all, one guy deiceds to die in seattle , guy  that discovered the " key" had to get back to sub , wear radiation suit and all, had Gregory Peck as captian of sub , good movie . nothing else , just wanted to pass along if anyone hadn't ever seen the movie . another code movie was one  where the machine got taken over by an alien power or comet, stephen king moive, One miltary jeep used the  horn to send code, one boy scout in group  knew code, they had to pump all the fuel out for the possed trucks , weird.  not a cherry topic just thought of moives tha had code in them  ... terry kg4ymc
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:10:33 AM »

"The compas rose" aka "The cruel sea"

Although the code was nonsense it did play a crucial role in the plot.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 07:52:37 AM »

There are any number of old movies with bits and pieces of CW.  The Sci-Fi film of the
1950's (starring James Arness of all people)  "Them" about giant mutated ants has a nice
bit where the ants are wrecking a freighter for sugar has the radio man sending at about
10 WPM    " _ _ .  ._   ..  _.   _     ._  _.  _  ...  "

"A Night to Remember"  one of the movies about the Titanic has a radio operator sending an
SOS.   A couple of years ago there was a thread on eHam with the same topic.  Try a search and look at it. It had several good posts.

Allen
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:07:44 AM »

Some 30 years ago I was watching a network TV show when one of the actors was tuning a shortwave radio trying to locate a distress signal from a remote island where people were ship wrecked.  Finally the actor tuned in a CW message on the short wave receiver.

The morse code message that was from the ship wrecked people on the desserted island said, "HAMS CAN YOU COPY THIS?".

Dick  AD4U
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »

Ironically, the sending key used in the movie Them! was a bug. Really.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »

One of the plot points in "On The Beach" was that the radiation sickness made some people act in bizarre and irrational ways. The Morse key rigged to the window shade wasn't an accident; it had been set up that way on purpose.

Other movies with Morse Code:

"A Night To Remember", as previously mentioned. Unlike the James Cameron blockbuster of 1997, the role of wireless is given considerable screeen time. The tone of the received code is that of a spark set. Not only is the code accurate, they used the actual texts of messages sent during the disaster.

"Island In The Sky", starring John Wayne, is about a downed transport plane in northern Canada during WW2. Some good radio sequences.

"Fantastic Voyage" uses Morse for communications from the miniaturized sub

"The Dambusters", based on real events during WW2, has considerable Morse action.

There are lots more. There used to be a website listing Morse in the movies, but I haven't sen it in a while.

73 de Jim, N2EY 
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »

Warner Brothers' 1937 "Porky's Railroad" had a telegraph operator send “QST QSL Leon Schlesinger Hollywood for picture of Porky”.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxu6DJSOaNA  (the message starts at 3:56)

Those hams that did, did get a Porky Pig QSL!

W1NK
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 03:17:15 AM »

For some more radio on the movies see http://www.rigpix.com/silverscreentrivia/silverscreentrivia.htm

Tanakasan
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 05:51:54 AM »

In "Run Silent, Run Deep" CW was in the background. It was hard to copy as the CW tone varied and I can't concentrate that well.

Staring Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:43:37 AM »

In "Run Silent, Run Deep" CW was in the background. It was hard to copy as the CW tone varied and I can't concentrate that well.

Staring Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster.

Good movie but it doesn't follow the book all that well. The code in it is gibberish.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 06:59:53 PM »

thanks folks , interesting  info. I guess your right , the window blind and coke bottle sitting that way in the  movie couldn't have happen by accident , neat twist.  I remember the movie them, the h bomb was good for one   thing I guess, the 50s and I guess  early 60s sci fi  movies.  what was the one were the guy had a solar power house and heard something on his radio? There was one also were the creatures had mutated  and one had pictures of theUN  and new york under his outer 'skin" . anyway, guess I can check out web sites , just got a touch of trivial pursuit , thanks for memories guys .. kg4ymc    p.s. if someone is useing a bug do they send " its them "   James Aness was also in  the thing... they actually had great movies before computer animation kids. kg4ymc     KEEP  WATCHING THE SKY!!!!1
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 10:04:17 PM »

In "Ship Ahoy," a big budget 1942 musical with Red Skelton and Bert Lahr, Eleanor Powell --probably the greatest female tap dancer-- taps Morse code accompanied by  the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra with Buddy Rich on drums.

That segment is on YT but the audio (and code) was recently disabled due to copyright problems.

Comment from a YT viewer: "I couldn't get it, maybe too much QRM!"

She TAPS real Morse code at about 18 WPM. In 1942 there was no way fake code would pass.

The code begins at 2:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJAlgfkDKro

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:44:53 PM by K0OD » Logged
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 02:07:10 PM »

There was a 1939 movie short subject called "Radio Hams". It can be seen at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGIdf0VjQ4
W4PAH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 11:41:11 AM »

Didn't the radio operator on the Titanic send "CQD" and not "SOS"? CQD being the distress call (hence the "D") at the time--before SOS was developed and replaced it.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 01:45:22 PM »

The Titanic started with CQD but eventually sent both it and SOS.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: