Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: -- scanners --  (Read 2074 times)
KB1BZR

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2011, 02:45:20 PM »

hmmm  Is this in right forum ?

Scanners.

I have been away from them for years.

They used to be useful for monitoring Amateur Radio Repeaters.

OK--

They have scanners or receivers that can monitor from VLF to ?? if you want to pay for it.

I'm thinking of Uniden or Radio Shack budget scanners. (I never had luck with Radio Shack)

Anybody have this :::

Uniden BC370CRS   HuhHuh?

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-300-Channel-Clock-Radio-Scanner/dp/B000EVWC9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296933067&sr=8-1

I think I'm asking these dumb questions is because consumer radios have gotten worse and worse over the decades. I guess China helps.

I presume most all scanners still have VHF/UHF sensitivity ?

Then what prompted me to finally ASK QUESTIONS is the AM/FM option. Reception of commercial AM 530-1700 khz  88-108 mhz  Has anybody observed this ? Any quality here ? Sensitivity ? AM ??  AGAIN:::::::::::::::: AM/FM Broadcast..any sensitivity ??

It would seem a useful item to add to inventory here...AM/FM Broadcast...Clock...VHF/UHF

Now is most all non-amateur conversation so-called 'trunked'. Pay more for such as scanner or one might not be able to monitor anything ?

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Bearcat-BCT8-BearTracker-TrunkTracker/dp/B000167OAC/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296933531&sr=1-22

Huh Huh Huh Huh
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »

Scanners will have great sensitivity on vhf/uhf usually with just a whip antenna. As far as vlf is concerned,even if they did cover that region you`re not going to hear practically anything,as it takes quite an antenna(long wire) to cover that part. They might be ok for fm broadcast,am if it has a built in ferrite bar antenna,and even then not usually great. Your car radio would have much better sensitivity and selectivity for broadcast. They are fine for repeater scanning,and would scan much faster than an ordinary h.t. 2 meter radio. Many local public service police/fire can be heard on vhf/uhf still. State police are on trunked systems and yes they are more expensive type scanners. Also many trunked systems may be digital,so you might not even be able to hear audio anyway,as it may be encrypted,etc. Except for local stuff,in which case an ordinary scanner could still be used. Am aircraft would work fine too.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »

I use a dinosaur RadioShack Pro-2005 400 channel scanner
it covers at least 29mhz through 1.2ghz AM, NFM, WFM and does anything I need for ham Smiley

I received after mom finally upgraded to a trunking scanner Smiley
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 04:03:43 PM »

The scanners that offer AM/FM BCB seem to have an antenna jack for some 'loop' antenna.

I had a mobile HT type scanner here that finally gave up the ghost.

// next //

I broke open an old box I have had sitting here with a Bearcat/Uniden SC150B that had never been used. (HT style)

However I wrack my brain I can't get it to work. I think the battery is 'DEAD ON ARRIVAL' but it runs with the AC Adapter. I get those government weather channels but seems nothing else. I can get splatter on 108 mhz from a fm'er on 107.9 but nothing else.

I don't know. Sitting around for decades ?

Away from such I start to think how useful they can be.

Probably somebody gets a scanner for 'trunked' and next all that will go 'digital'. I think you can get 'digital scanners' if you pay for them.

I ran across the ICOM R6. I see only one review here.(?) It seems sensitive by specs but no antenna options ?

I think you can get them for under $200.

I think the thing has bells and whistles but I know nothing about such. Interface with a computer. (for what ?)

Remote Control.(?)

I wish these things had built in recorders. (well..cost more)

KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »

I guess the ICOM R6 does have a 'rubber-duckie' type antenna and if you buy another $4000 connector you can use an antenna from another source other than ICOM.

The earphone can be used as an antenna.

On lower frequencies I guess it's as sensitive as the internal ferrite antenna will allow it to be.

Cloning cables and everything. It's not a recorder so... I guess 'what you hear' transferred to another receiver. (?) USB computer interface. At least all computers (laptops) I use make terrible RF noise.

Even CD with----------------

Sounds interesting enough for a toy. Figure out it's functions.

I hope somebody tests these things after manufacture.

/// I was looking at reviews of Chinese Vacuum Tubes ///

KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/4800.html

?
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:16:50 PM »

my pro-2005 does FM BCB.. I don't think it goes low enough for AM BCB.. no loop antennas.. just uses the bnc in the back or the telescoping whip on the top.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 03:27:16 PM »

Bought a R/S Pro-2004 when they first came out (1988), it was top of the line.  Got four scanners myself, and various ham transceivers.  The only scanner to buy new nowadays is a digital capable one, such as a Uniden BCD996XT.  Every agency to do with law enforcement, ambulance, and fire will be digital/ trunked from now on.  For $127 for a Uniden BC370CRS, and no digital or trunking?  Waste of money.

Mike
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:05 PM »

yeah my mom had this scanner since they first came out Smiley

it doesn't do trunking, but honestly, I really don't care to listen to police/fire/ambulance that much.

one local city police is still on 155.xxx  and one of the local ambulance services is still on there too.

the local police is useful sometimes.. as some of my other 'hobbies' find it useful to know what local police are doing :wink: :wink: :nudge: :nudge:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: