Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BFDX repeaters?  (Read 7819 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2011, 08:22:42 AM »

Has anyone run across the BFDX line of repeaters from China? See this URL: http://qzbeifeng.en.alibaba.com/.

The BF-3000 is for sale on eBay by Wayne WA5RER for $400. There is a higher power unit on the above URL...the BF-2000 and the BF-5000.

Frank
K4FMH
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »

I see it's been a few months since your post and nobody has replied.

The only thing I can say about these units is that for their physical size, I'm fairly certain
that they will be incapable of a 600KHz split on 2M. The duplexer required for 2M is
physically larger than the cabinet which houses these units. On 440MHz, that may be
a different story because we use a 5MHz split there, and the frequencies being higher,
the components are smaller.

If you buy one of these for 2M with the understanding that you'll still have to buy a
duplexer that will work with a 600KHz split and mount it externally to the unit, then
by all means, it may -possibly- fill your requirement.

73, -WY3X
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:45:21 PM »

Wy3X,

Thanks....we've moved to Icom and Vertex models. I was just interested to see if others had any experiences. I appreciate your observations.

73s,

K4FMH
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »

Like a lot of things that come from China, even though you get a supposed bargain by getting such a repeater, most of the parts are proprietary, and are simply unavailable when it comes to repairing the units.  So, the question that has to be asked is this--are those units really a bargain if you end up having to trash the unit and get another?

Now, to the Icom and Vertex repeater systems.  Rumor has it that the Vertex units aren't as selective and as reliable as others.  The Icom units have more of those proprietary parts--the difference is that those parts are much more available than the Chinese ones.

Have you considered the Kenwood line?  Kenwood seems to be the better choice of the big three--especially since their repeaters are based on commercial models that they also manufacture.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:04:40 AM »

Thanks for the various replies everyone....we actually purchased a used Icom FR4000 and it's running fine.

73s,

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: