Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ic 735. plastic drop cover on front.  (Read 1539 times)
N4ZY

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:48:52 PM »

Huh i have a ic 735  that i would like to remove the small front cover over the slider on the control box. i don't want to break it.  can it be removed and if so how??   Thanks   N4ZY
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:57:08 PM by N4ZY » Logged
W4XK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:24:04 PM »

Drop the door to the horizontal position, not fully down, and
pull straight toward you. Should come off easily. DO SO AT YOUR
OWN RISK! Most IC-735s lost their doors years ago. You might
even be able to sell it on e-bay if you decide to keep it off, hi.

Bill W4XK
N4ZY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:46:27 AM »

Thanks Bill. quite simple when you know how.i was scared to death to try it(lol)...now do know of a good paint to use on the top/bottom covers. has a couple of rust spots on the edges.??.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 08:54:29 AM »

Thanks Bill. quite simple when you know how.i was scared to death to try it(lol)...now do know of a good paint to use on the top/bottom covers. has a couple of rust spots on the edges.??.

Make sure you put that plastic cover with your manual for the radio. Do not misplace it! Some buyers insist that cover is there if you sell it.

As for the touch up. Go to any store that sells automotive touch up paint. It comes in really small tubes with a small brush to apply the paint.

See if you can find the color that matches the cabinet and buy one to touch it up.

73, Rick VE3FMC
N4ZY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:33:41 AM »

thanks for reply. will look at the locals to see what they have. i bought this rig about 3 years agoand it has been setting on the shelf.after i first tried it out. now putting it thru the works. great rig.i put a keyer/cw filter in it also. so want it to look nice.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:24:04 AM »

"now do know of a good paint to use on the top/bottom covers. has a couple of rust spots on the edges.??."

The chances of 'matching' the paint is next to nil.  They all use an electrically charged powder type paint.....nothing will match it.

Your only chance is to have the entire cabinet sand blasted down to bare metal and then try to find some flat grey paint that sort of matches the OEM color.  It will be as noticable as a sore tooth but who knows, you may be happy with the results.

GL es 73,
Bob
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »

I wrapped mine in several layers packing paper and keep it with my package of manuals.

I love my old 735 but that was close to the dumbest design idea ever.

I saw one on eBay a few weeks ago from a parted out 735 and it went for around $35.00 (ouch)

I have always wondered what it would cost to have a plastic company make up three or four hundred of them.  If the price wouldn't stop your heart in mid-beat I'll bet you could sell every one of them at a handsome profit.

Bob

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 02:16:01 PM »

"now do know of a good paint to use on the top/bottom covers. has a couple of rust spots on the edges.??."

The chances of 'matching' the paint is next to nil.  They all use an electrically charged powder type paint.....nothing will match it.

Your only chance is to have the entire cabinet sand blasted down to bare metal and then try to find some flat grey paint that sort of matches the OEM color.  It will be as noticable as a sore tooth but who knows, you may be happy with the results.

GL es 73,
Bob

Not entirely true Bob.

I worked for Ford Motor Company in the Paint Shop for 25 years. I did small touch ups with those small tubes of touch up paint. I know that those touch ups matched the original paint job or we would never have used them.

Painting the entire cabinet is overkill if all he has is a couple of small spots to touch up.
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 05:17:49 AM »

Exactly what model and year FoMoCo product had body paint that matched the Icom 735?

Don N4TTS

Not entirely true Bob.

I worked for Ford Motor Company in the Paint Shop for 25 years. I did small touch ups with those small tubes of touch up paint. I know that those touch ups matched the original paint job or we would never have used them.

Painting the entire cabinet is overkill if all he has is a couple of small spots to touch up.
N4ZY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »

thanks for all the replies. when i take a very good look at it i believe it could use a complete paint job as far as the trap door i planed to take it to the bank and put it in a safety deposit box(hi)i have been having a bunch of fun with the rig.i have a pro 3 and a AL-1500 . but have worked the VP8 with the 735 barefoot .
                           thanks a bunch   Jim N4ZY
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »

Exactly what model and year FoMoCo product had body paint that matched the Icom 735?

Don N4TTS

Not entirely true Bob.

Don I never stated that FoMoCo painted cars that matched the cabinet of the IC-735. I said they had touch up paint that matches the colors of the cars we painted.

The owner should check the local auto parts dealers and see if he could come close to matching the paint on the Icom 735. He may or may not find a touch up color that is exact but he should be able to find one that is pretty close to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: