Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irresponsible Hams  (Read 19848 times)
JUNKMAN

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:37:24 PM »

If you're too sorry to do such a simple task as deleting your ads after your items sale then I can only amagine how sorry you are at everything else you do in life. Anyone guilty of this should be banned from the site.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »

I think that banning them from the site would be a bit overkill.  But Yes, it would be nice if the ads were marked as 'sold'.

George
K5TR
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »

You know what? Maye put a 30 day limit on posting, and them automatically delete. This way, they do not stay up forever.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 02:47:10 PM »

You know what? Maye put a 30 day limit on posting, and them automatically delete. This way, they do not stay up forever.

We already do a variation of that - we automatically mark the items sold after a period of time - I forget if it is a month or two or three.....  We did consider deleting them but we thought the data might be useful and at the time that was the easy way out.  I think you are correct we should remove the items from the search - unless the user wants to search further back in time - this would also remove them from the display.  We are in the process of rewriting most of the code on the site and I think we will do something like this in the new code.

Thanks

George
K5TR
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:24:38 PM »

The old ads are what I use to price what I sell or buy. They are invaluable.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:58:43 AM »

The old ads are what I use to price what I sell or buy. They are invaluable.

Old ads are wishful thinking by most sellers. Items are worth what buyers are willing to pay, not what sellers are willing to sell it for. A better way to see what an item is worth, is going to ebay's "completed auctions". Those are auctions that have finished in the last 30 days, and so you the final sale price. That is a guide as to what you can get for it here.

Typically, I use the "completed auctions" to gauge items here and at hamfests. Hamfest prices should likely be 50-75% of the average ebay sale. Items here, or be that, or up to be that amount.

The bottom line that I am trying to point out is, if you have 10 people on here selling FT-101s for $600, and they are averaging $400 on ebay, you are likely going to sell it in the neighborhood of $400.
JUNKMAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:54:24 AM »

Well the ones marked as "sold" are not the problem it's the ads that are still active and NOT marked as sold that gives me the red axx. You email the person only to find out that the item has long been sold and they just wont delete the ad for some reason. I've almost stopped looking on here for used ham gear because of this reason alone. The Wattmeter section is a good example. At any given time if you find a listing you're interested in and email about the item more than likely it has already been sold. It's just a pain to me to have to put up with this on over half of the ads that I inquire about.
KB9TMP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 04:17:13 PM »

For me if an ad is over 3 days old I "assume" that it's already sold. Whenever I sell something I make sure to mark it sold because I don't want to be bothered for the next 6 months with emails asking if the item is still available. It's just easier on everyone!
WX4O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 05:09:18 PM »

Another nice thing would be not to list products in Classifieds, when the actual intent is
to buy one, or to request a manual or part for it,
and not marking the ad as 'WTB' or 'wanted'.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:01:19 AM »

When I see an ad that is not marked "sold" I assume the price is too high.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »

I had a couple of items listed on several sites.

When they sold I removed the ads or marked them sold and closed the threads.

Someone emailed me, no call, no name and asked I still had the items for sale.

I politely told him that the items were sold. He emailed back with a rude comment and also mentioned I should have marked the items SOLD.

Well duhhhhhhhhhhhh when the ad is removed, or marked sold and closed you would think someone might figure that out.

But no, and then he thought it was my fault not his.  Roll Eyes  You have to love guys that email you about a for sale item and never give their call or name. And no it was not a scammer. He was simply an idiot.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »

He may have seen the ad in a Google search result, or worse, in a Google cached page.

Nothing you or I can do about that!
WZ3O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »

Huh  You know what gives me a "red axx", people who use pseudonyms. These folks should be "banned from...this site"....or am I being too harsh...

While I welcome an exchange of ideas with fellow hams, even if we're at odds ... I have difficulty wrapping my head around "anonymous" posts....

My 2ยข, your mileage may vary.....etc, etc, etc.....
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 08:35:33 AM »

Perhaps not mark the ads as sold after a default time.  How about "Expired" instead?

That would give people who want to see old stuff a reference, and also a good indication that something DIDN'T sell.

KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 06:58:53 PM »

If you're too sorry to do such a simple task as deleting your ads after your items sale then I can only imagine how sorry you are at everything else you do in life. Anyone guilty of this should be banned from the site.

Sometimes you need to take into consideration that items "sold" aren't always really "sold" even though the seller might tell you they already have a buyer for the item listed that you are inquiring about. ...Confused yet? Let me explain...

The problem as a seller who posted an ad is someone comes along and tells you they want to buy your item from you and yes, I suppose following your logic, this SHOULD be the time when you should mark the ad item as "sold" right??.... um.. no..not exactly, ...I am afraid not, ...and let me explain why.

What often happens in thses situations is the person who expresses an interest to buy you item, never actually sends you any payment for the item listed in the ad. (happened to me on many occasions) However, since you already marked the item as sold on the listed ad, you don't get to make the sale NOR do you get any more opportunity or interest in the item from anyone else for that matter because the listing is marked as "sold" even though you never received payment from anyone.

Therefore "sold" in my opinion is when I receive actual payment for the item in my hand, not when someone who expressed the desire and "intention" to purchase the item from me. Therefore, until payment is received, then items listed will remain "for sale." and not marked as "sold" I don't consider this approach to be "irresponsible" per se, but rather it leaves the item up for sale, and the ongoing opportunity to keep the item posted for sale until actual payment is actually received for the item. I highly suspect this is probobly the reason behind why many others never mark the ads as sold either.

I agree it SHOULD be a simple task, but the issue remains that way because no one is really sure what defines "sold", when selling actually occurs and because of this, it sometimes becomes a complex issue involving some of the listed ads.

Now rather than mark the item as sold, I will usually try to mark the ad as "pending payment" until payment is received. (not always an option available to do this!!. Sometimes your only option is to either mark it as sold or delete the ad in its entirety.)  

I think it would be better to have a 3 step process in the ad listing process. One is obviously called "For Sale" 2. Pending Payment and 3. Sold !!

I feel this approach would resolve a lot of the problems and confusion potential buyers and sellers alike often experience.

I don't agree with time sensitive expired ads approach because some items can take many months to move especially if the item isn't popular or its not a particularly highly desired item or part. (non standard radio crystals or similar low demand items come to mind.)

73 !!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:36:46 PM by KC8VWM » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: