Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ FOC?  (Read 5685 times)
K5PEW

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2007, 06:22:00 AM »

Obviously there is a contest ongoing as I write. There are lots of stations calling CQ FOC and their call sign. I have looked at the FOC website in Europe which says there will be about 450 station operating the contest for 3 days, and several other websites say that the contest is for members only.

I'm having a hard time believing that the contest I'm hearing is limited to 450 participants world-wide. If that's the case they must all be on 20 right now and residents of the US.

Can someone straighten me out on the FOC contest?

As a non-member of FOC, can I answer these guys, and if I can, What is the exchange they need?

Is there a website that shows the basic facts about operating in the 2007 FOC contest? If there is one, I couldn't find it.

Thanks for your time.

Graham Welch - K5PEW (In memory of Paisley Elizabeth Welch)
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 03:49:16 PM »

This is from the Calendar button on the FOC website:

January 2007
7    FOC Activity Day
21    FOC Activity Day

February 2007
2-4    FOC Marathon (members work other members only)
25    FOC Activity Day

March 2007
3    FOC Activity Day
25    FOC Activity Day

So yes this weekend is FOC members to members only.  The other activity day's everyone can work other FOC members.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 01:00:35 AM »

FOC I think is the first operators club and you have to be "invited " to join. so I don't find it suprising that they have a private contest.
AB8EO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:54:12 PM »

I heard the FOC calls and agree there have to be more than 500 of them.

Personally, they offend me on general principles. The hobby needs inclusion, not exclusion. Their private show equals QRM as far as I am concerned.

Phil Sanders, AB8EO
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:47:33 AM »

I do find it ironic to hear some of the "first class operators" who aren't following their own guidelines for operating the marathon on Top Band: "please avoid 1820-1832kHz " (from the FOC website!)

Chuck  NI0C
N1YE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:15:19 AM »

When I was first licensed in the early 70's,I use to hear about the A1 Operators Club. It was also a club for which one had to be invited to join. It was to inspire hams to hone their operating skills to the point that they would be recognized by others as being consistently good operators. I would imagine that FOC is similar. I would imagine that I would feel very proud to be amongst either.  Congratulations to those who have worked for and achieved it.
Gene
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »

I wish they wouldn't call on the 7030 QRP calling frequency...

Gil.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:20:11 PM »

Also consider the SOC, "Second Class Operators club", "because so few are really first class": http://www.qsl.net/soc/
WB3T

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 05:34:52 AM »

FOC flies in the face of everything brotherhood in the radio hobby is supposed to be about.

They include in their exclusive (read "snooty") contest the known QRP frequencies. These kw guys are stomping on those of us working at improving the radio art by honing our operating skills and testing portable emergency gear, rather than brute forcing our way onto the airwaves. QRPers ask for two frequencies on 40 meters where we can copy each others' weak signals. Why can't they use the other 123 frequencies in the CW band?

Before I knew what FOC was about I was working one of the guys (in Hawaii, using only 4 Watts), and in the middle of the QSO K2/KZ5D stomped right in and called the station I was working, who had just given my report so he knew we were in QSO. I guess he looked up my call vs. the member list and thought I wasn't worth common courtesy, being an outsider. I know he heard me - he was 10 over here so I know we had a good path. If Hawaii could hear me at RST 559 I'm sure he could too.

I see a few familiar calls on the FOC member list who I regularly work during QRP contests. If they want to be exclusive then let them be exclusive - but that door can swing both ways. Until FOC drops the non-member restriction in their contests, I will no longer respond to them during any contest. I do like making new friends on the air, but not that kind.

Bob, WB3T
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »

Every FOC I have heard during contests or even when engaging in a casual CW chat has been a great CW op.  The bands can always use more clean CW -- all the best to them and congratulations on your accomplishments!

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE N4OI   Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: