Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dissappointed with the hobby and clubs so far  (Read 167118 times)
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »

This is crazy.  Nowhere in life, with the possible exception of church, are you going to be unconditionally accepted just by showing up.  The supposed rudeness that gets reported and complained about on forums like this seem to be from people who themselves have trouble communicating, and who seem to enjoy being a victim.  If you don't like a particular club or group, get over it and move on.

If your entire amateur experience is lingering on a local 2 meter FM repeater hoping to make a friend, then it will be very short-lived.  It seems like the happiest amateurs, or at least those who enjoy the hobby the most, are people who find a specific interest and associate/network with others who are like-minded. 

Whining because you took and passed a simple test, bought and installed some simple gear, and are now wondering why new friends aren't suddenly falling all over themselves to welcome you aboard gets old.

The amateur population in the U.S. is a little under 700,000.  That's a lot of people.  The hobby is huge, and so is the variety of interests.  Pick something that you might really enjoy, and network with other hams who share that interest.  That's where great friendships are made.

There are a lot of really good people out there......just put forth some effort.

Best,

Brad, K9MHZ

N0SYX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »

I think people that rush out to take the tech test, buy a cheap FM HT, get frustrated because they found a particular person or club unfriendly, and then immediately become "dissappointed with the hobby" need to take a step back.   I think you set yourself up for the disappointment.

If you just want to chit chat via wireless buy an iPhone and text your friends (and download angry birds, it's really fun...).  If you really want to use an HT get FRS radios for your current friends.

Amateur radio was created so that individuals could have access to radio spectrum and experiment with radio: technology, techniques, operating, etc.  Find something that truly interests you about radio operating or radio technology and you'll develop a circle of friends over time.

KE7RTV

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »

This is crazy.  Nowhere in life, with the possible exception of church, are you going to be unconditionally accepted just by showing up.  The supposed rudeness that gets reported and complained about on forums like this seem to be from people who themselves have trouble communicating, and who seem to enjoy being a victim.  If you don't like a particular club or group, get over it and move on.

----------------------------

When the ARRL sells the myth that amateur radio is a group
of people just waiting for new friends to come along and join them then
it's hardly crazy when someone actually believes it and is disappointed when it doesn't
happen.
KE7RTV
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 02:53:04 PM »

So because this guy can't seem to make any ham friends, it's now the ARRL's fault?

Good grief.

KE7RTV

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 09:49:44 PM »

The gentleman is sharing his experiences as they relate to his intial expectations.

Why shouldn't we listen to him and examine our own behaviour towards new hams?
Just dismissing him as a guy who doesn't know how to communicate doesn't seem to me to be the correct response.
After all, it is possible that he has a point.
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 06:16:02 AM »

I have to share his sentiment.
First regarding spelling . There is no reason to correct someone elses spelling or punctuation. It is rude and unecessary and you are not their mommy.
I cant see well enuf to write perfect and as to some of my spelling like the word a few back whoever decided to spell it like we do in the english speaking world was an idiot. I dont speak perfectly either. I live in fear the word aint will leave the language before I leave this world for good.
Secondly clubs are for some of us not workable. Usually there is one main guru whose father or uncle was a radio op on a famous ship or something and then there are 20 or 30 loyal mignons unable to think for themselves and following behind  in single file.
It used to be if you were a ham you had a bond with other hams. It has changed. I went to the local winter field day this year. One fellow who didnt know any better spoke to me but I gathered from the looks he got that he had just gotten his license and didnt know any better, having not learned yet how to be rude and who to be rude too.
The main guru was there and they were follwing him around like a group of hens following the barnyard rooster. I dont do clubs of any kind any more. They are not good for me and I am not good for them. That may be the best solution for some of us.
I went to my first Hamfest last weekend. There are non nearby and I have never had a good oppourtunity before so I arose early and drove almost 3 hours to attend it. There were probably 100 to 130 people there at any one time. I got replies from three and I was buying their stuff. I felt about as welcome as a Rabbi at the Vatican. They are wondering , "Who is that guy. He is not from our club? Maybe he is a CB er"!  which is the ultimate ham way of insulting someone. I have been a ham over 30 years so I was surprised at the lack of normal human friendliness.
That said I have also met some very neat and pleasant folks in this hbby. Folks who share similar interests . Are able to discuss rather than argue. And folks who share willingly parts and info. Anything they might need I have would be available to them. They are the way it used to be. You can explain all you want. If you are rude to a fellow ham you didnt get enuf spankings as a child. There is just absolutely no excuse for it. And for repeaters.? For me Ham radio is HF. However if taxi radio is your thing that is fine with me. ;>) Doesnt feel nice does it? That is how we feel on the other end too.
Time we got along despite our many varied interests in the hobby. We cant afford this foolishness and it has no place in the hobby.
Don VE3LYX
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »

The way clubs are has changed, but that is NO excuse for poor grammar and incorrect spelling--even use of words that sound the same but are not. 

I'm sorry, but the dumbing down of the tests in the US doesn't mean that we can just spell words as we please.  There are still proper ways to spell, punctuate, and construct sentences.  If you can't do these things correctly, you should not be throwing stones at others for other errors that they may make.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »

And I suppose you spell CQ, "Seek you?"

One person (or group)'s misspelling is another's accepted form of abbreviation. (Morse code for example)

If this were a writer's forum, criticizing another's spelling might be appropriate, and perhaps even required. But in a place that's the internet version of a rag-chew, that seems a bit rude.

73 and LOL, IMNSHO Smiley
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 11:17:31 AM »

Heh got to laugh.  Grin

This thread must be pretty stale to end up as a rant on grammar.
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »

"First regarding spelling . There is no reason to correct someone elses spelling or punctuation. It is rude and unecessary and you are not their mommy. "
I said it and I meant it. And it is the truth.
Don VE3LYX
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 03:48:25 AM »

The way clubs are has changed, but that is NO excuse for poor grammar and incorrect spelling--even use of words that sound the same but are not. 

I'm sorry, but the dumbing down of the tests in the US doesn't mean that we can just spell words as we please.  There are still proper ways to spell, punctuate, and construct sentences. 

I agree 100%.

But I don't think it has anything to do with the tests, education, nor even ham radio. I think it's an internet phenomenon.

In the bad old days when everything published was actually printed on paper, there were plenty of folks who couldn't spell, punctuate or construct sentences. The difference was that their stuff was filtered through proofreaders, editors, etc., so that it was either fixed up or not published at all. Content mistakes and obvious errors were filtered out too. An occasional typo might get through, but 99.99% of them didn't.

The internet changed all that. Almost anybody can write almost anything on practically any subject and have it show up instantly on an online forum with zero proofreading or testing.

I think the best we can do is to set a good example.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 03:54:02 AM »

"First regarding spelling . There is no reason to correct someone elses spelling or punctuation. It is rude and unecessary and you are not their mommy. "
I said it and I meant it. And it is the truth.

No, it's just your opinion.

When someone posts in an online discussion forum, everyone else has the right to comment on what was written. Particularly if what was posted contains mistakes. That's the whole point of a discussion forum.

Of course some mistakes are more serious than others. An occasional typo that doesn't change the meaning is much less serious than, say, a mistake in a formula that gives a completely wrong answer to a calculation problem.

73 de Jim, N2EY
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 04:09:36 AM »

The need to comment and correct someone elses spelling is a severre character flaw and has no place in polite society. All of us, including those who can spell perfect (but usually are incabable of little else) have more than a plate full looking after the guy they see every morning when they shave. Correcting or commenting on someone elses spelling is the height of ingnorance. If it all you have to do then you need another hobby. I have no idea what kind of thinking would inspire such an attitude. I suspect though it is rooted in an island somewhere between Scandanavia and Newfoundland.
Don VE3LYX
N0SYX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 01:27:33 PM »

Isn't it slightly ironic that people who don't care if they can write or speak well, get involved in a communications related hobby?  Amateur radio is obviously a very technical hobby but the end goal of all that technology is to communicate.  Shouldn't we want to do it better?

I also don't agree that "one man's misspelling" is another man's "abbreviation."   There is misspelling and there is abbreviation.  Two different things.   CQ, RST, Q codes all developed out of necessity and efficiency, not because people were bad spellers.

From my perspective, if somebody writes an email or posts into a forum like this and uses an acronym such as RST.  That is fine.  It is an accepted abbreviation.   If instead you type in Rdibility, Strenkth, and Ton - you really should learn how to spell.

Certainly some misspelling is unintentional.  I might have missed something in this post, but if the grammar and spelling is so bad, I'm sorry, people are going to blast you for it.  This is the internet, you need thick skin to operate here...

Finally, since this thread was originally about mean old hams and their cliquey clubs, I still say it is whining to complain about it.   If you attended a club function and nobody seemed friendly - move on.  Think of it this way: it is there loss, not yours.

I've attended a few hamfests too.  I pay the guy at the door and he says 'thanks.'  The ARRL guy manning their booth is always pleasant.  At that point my expectations are met.  I've generally found that club people working their tables tend to be more talkative if you have specific questions about what their particular "specialty" is.   I walked up to the microwave club table and said I had a question about a homebrew yagi for 802.11 gear.  He was quite talkative.  Another guy walks up and says "I don't much about that there microwave. What's them metal horns do anyway."  Expecting the microwave guy to be chatty is unrealistic I think.

Never at any point at a hamfest have I ever had 10 people rush up to me saying "I wanna be your friend, I wanna be your friend."   

I'm OK with that.

VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »

And then there is the possiblity and you have no way of knowing that the person writing doesnt know the language well. Not everyone was born speaking the same language as you. I speak 3. One decent , one O K and one so so. I am still in all three able to commnucate and be understood.
Anyway enuf already. Makes me disgusted just thinking about it.
Din VE3LYX
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: