Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dissappointed with the hobby and clubs so far  (Read 181361 times)
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 08:30:50 AM »

Reminds me of the old Joke  "Doctor it hurts when I do this!",    "Well don't do that!"

I can excuse someone whose native language is not English who uses the wrong word(s) or makes grammatical errors or those who speak English "English" instead of American English.
But when I see "loose" used by native English speakers (some of whom claim to be engineers) instead of "lose".  That and the many other really bad errors make me wonder at a forum that
is designed to help the newcomer and aid those with meager skills and has folks who can't punctuate nor spell correctly giving the help.  That my friend is disgusting!
On the air I hear hams who constantly mispronounce words or make up words that sound
similar.  Are they trying to be the next Rush Limbaugh?  Did they ever go to "skrull"?
Gee isn't belly-aching fun!

Allen
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »

I wonder if the people who complain about grammer and spelling in an EHam forum are the same operators who invent a new phonetic alphabet for every contenst (or QSO)?

I think both situations call for a serious dose of "lighten up."
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2011, 05:14:35 AM »

And I still stand by what I said.  It is the height of ignorance and bad manners to criticize others if you can't do things correctly yourself.  That INCLUDES spelling. 

The point of my post was your rant, Don.  You didn't feel welcome, so you're spouting off about it--in effect, criticizing others because of their supposed mistake in not accepting you.  You might just say that one of the stones you threw came back and hit you--square in the head.

I'm not perfect--and I acknowledge that fact.  I make mistakes, just like everyone else.  Fact of the matter is that I made one in my post--one wrong word, and the meaning of what I meant changed.  Instead of 'there', I wrote 'that'.  Makes a lot of difference, doesn't it?  "The way clubs are has changed, but THERE is NO excuse for poor grammar and incorrect spelling--even use of words that sound the same but are not."

Too many people just write what they they want and figure that others will understand them anyway.  Maybe most do--but to others, you're just showing your lack of education, in other words--ignorance.  If you can't afford to keep a dictionary on your desk, at least turn on your spell checker--it's the least you can do if you intend to criticize others for the mistakes they make.
N5VEI

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2011, 07:48:27 PM »

I can understand about the disheartening activity!  If it were just 2m and repeaters around here... I would have probably gotten out of ham radio long ago.  I do lots of digital HF stuff, chase dx, just got into near-space ballooning with APRS, and do some occasional fox hunting with a few of the locals.  HF really offers so many activities or elements that your local repeater does not.  I would suggest finding a local friendly ham that does HF and go talk with him.  You do not have to have a large station or even a powerful station.  It is all about technique, effort, and endurance when dealing with some of the HF topics.  The digital stuff is really fun and can keep you learing for a long time.
Anyway.... hang in there
Bill Richardson
N5VEI

PS  Check out what I do with my students that I teach
http://www.madison-schools.com/18912081810027520/site/default.asp?
N5VEI

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 07:52:32 PM »

I forgot to mention about operating amateur satellites.... Now those are fun!  All you need is an dualband HT, arrow beam (handheld), and a tracker to provide rise, fall, and angles.
Bill R.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »

Is this topic still going on?  I suppose so, since it seems to have deviated slightly from the start.  What a waste of time.
K5USF

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:57 PM »

Why don't you all have a spelling bee and crown a champion....Ugh
KC9ISG

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »

Well I have that around in my area to and you will find that it also happens on HF. Some people forgot what this hobby is all about and its suppose to be fun and if another ham or any one is in need of help they should try there best to help them. I here to enjoy my self and have fun talking to and meeting others across the world and not have to worry about some one trying to have a pissing match with some one else to prove who is the biger dog on the air waves. I have heard every thing from fights and foul luangage to some strange stuff I wouldnt want to repeat. I only hope that people can keep it from becomeing another CB channel. I use to hear hams say when I was into CB that ham isnt a CB or like it and from what I have heard sorry to say it is. So we need to help one another to keep it like you all say it use to be. Be part of the solution and not the part of the problem. We cant change it on our own but together we all can do wonders. 73 and hang in there we together can change it back to good of all man king..... Smiley Grin
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »

I pretty much avoid any and all ham clubs. They are all about politics, and most of the guys are unfriendly towards newcomers. I just do my own thing and enjoy the hobby as it is. I dont need any club drama in my life...
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:55 PM »

No organized group owes unconditional acceptance of outsiders. To have a friend, you must first be a friend. Give people their space and give them a chance to know you, and know it's their choice to do so. We are all different, and yet we are the same in many ways. A sincere smile, firm handshake and sincere interest in another person from the heart without conditions expecting something in return, still goes along ways. The person happy and content with them self understands this.

Regardless if it's church, your favorite hobby club, even the work place, if someone wants to be part of a group, there's one out there for them somewhere.

Smiley 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »

That may be true to a point, Terry, but there are clubs that are run by a small group of people who will 'allow' people to come in and who will welcome them, provided those newcomers are willing to pay the price, for too long of a time--sometimes years.  These people will only allow people into their inner circle once in a great while, and even if you're willing to go along with what these controllers want and ask for nothing in return, you will not be accepted UNLESS one of the inner circle takes a liking to you and persuades the other inner circle people to do the same.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 10:47:35 AM »

I pretty much avoid any and all ham clubs. They are all about politics, and most of the guys are unfriendly towards newcomers. I just do my own thing and enjoy the hobby as it is. I dont need any club drama in my life...

Clubs were first formed to provide the members a place to play radio on a rig or at a station that had more than the individual members could afford.  Then the practice of forming a club took off with a full head of steam when two meters was opened up and accepted--and repeaters came into the equation.  A repeater could well be horrendously expensive to construct and operate, and the dues and events a club could collect and put on were a good source of the money needed to put together and support a repeater.

Once other means of communications came out, (cell phones, in particular) it was only a matter of time before that one main purpose of a club became moot--even though repeaters were still supported and still useful, not too many people needed phone patches and local communication abilities of a repeater anymore.  

Although still very much in existence, two meter repeaters are showing signs of dying out.  Some frequency pairs are still under coordination but are unused with the machines off the air, simply because nobody uses them anymore.

Clubs are going the same way.  Membership drives and other tricks to get hams and others to sign up are not keeping up with the decline in membership of most clubs.  The politics drive still more people away.  The only clubs still showing good, steady membership rolls are the ones with an outside income, or those who do NOT have any sort of physical ownership of equipment and/or property, and are just in existence to help hams get together and socialize.

That last, it seems, is the only ideal club in existence today--and for good reason.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2011, 10:14:08 PM »

"Dissappointed with the hobby and clubs so far"

So what was the point of this post?

I once tried stamp collecting for a while and then
decided it wasn't for me.

Ham radio isn't for everyone.
If you don't like it just LEAVE and quit yer bitchin'!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2011, 04:33:37 AM »

"Dissappointed with the hobby and clubs so far"

So what was the point of this post?

I once tried stamp collecting for a while and then
decided it wasn't for me.

Ham radio isn't for everyone.
If you don't like it just LEAVE and quit yer bitchin'!

AMEN!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2011, 05:48:43 AM »

No organized group owes unconditional acceptance of outsiders. To have a friend, you must first be a friend. Give people their space and give them a chance to know you, and know it's their choice to do so. We are all different, and yet we are the same in many ways. A sincere smile, firm handshake and sincere interest in another person from the heart without conditions expecting something in return, still goes along ways. The person happy and content with them self understands this.

Regardless if it's church, your favorite hobby club, even the work place, if someone wants to be part of a group, there's one out there for them somewhere.

Smiley 

See! KU5Q's first sentence sounds more like "you gotta kiss my ass first attitude". That's the attitude that does not make Ham radio. All that does is allow them a selective process based on "reading a book by it's cover" and an excuse for what ever. That should not be Ham Radio as I knew it!

Bottom line! All Ham clubs should welcome a new comer with greeting them with a smile and as a friend. The "only" thing an outsider should not come with is any bad attitudes or negative intentions. A new Ham should always come with a smile and willing to participate as a team member.

After these guide lines then and only then if the new guests shows any negative traits should they be not excepted openly. Thats how it should be and always be!

73!

Point blank!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: