Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dissappointed with the hobby and clubs so far  (Read 187300 times)
W9HQE

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »

I lived in a city ( No name) where I was treated like a outsider from day one I went to a couple of meetings and met them several times for there daily lunch outings I always was treated poorly. I talked with a couple of hams in another town close to the one I lived in and they told me they treat everyone that way if you are not from the local university. Ok I understand now its a click. I have since moved to another town and have met a few of the hams here and plan on joining the club here. They are the nicest guys you ever would want to meet. I guess some folks just want to be stand offish and want it to be us four and no more its a shame amateur radio is one of the best hobbies ever and its a shame a few mess it up for a great bunch of people.
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »

Don't feel too bad. I havn't been on a radio in months. I've had my ticket almost 6 years now.
Even upgraded once.

Joined a club to pay for the use of their repeater & talked to a few people. 1 died of a blood clot after undergoing a gastric bypass while I was in a nursing home, 1 was a former Co-worker that I lost track of, And the other moved away and could no longer hit the repeater.

Couldn't afford to pay the dues after loosing my job, But there had been some kind of shakeup that I don't know the details of, but the president (she was a popular member) is no more and I hadn't heard her on the air in a while.

My VHF/UHF antenna has been down for a year and the neighbor ran over the coax with his riding mower, The way the power lines are around my house I'm doubtful if I could put up something safely for HF.

Can't do the antennas by myself even if I could afford it, Since I'm partially disabled from work injuries (knee & shoulder) I'm not "safe" on a roof. Don't have anybody to help. Since the wifoid is now an invalid I'm pretty much stuck at home unless there's somebody to watch her. Havn't decided if I am going to renew but I have till 2016 to decide.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »

Bob, if you're able to do this, it may get you back on the air.  Just get the antenna you have up on a ten foot mast outside your window.  No. it wouldn't be too far reaching, but it may get you back to the point that you can get back to the hobby.  I had to take down my antenna--a Hustler G7-144--because of the change of ownership of the poroperty I live at.  I put up a Radio Shack scanner antenna, the ground plane type on a ten foot mast supported by a bucket of concrete, and although I can't get out as far as I used to, I can still use my radio.

Just a suggestion.  73!
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »

Bob, if you're able to do this, it may get you back on the air.  Just get the antenna you have up on a ten foot mast outside your window.  No. it wouldn't be too far reaching, but it may get you back to the point that you can get back to the hobby.  I had to take down my antenna--a Hustler G7-144--because of the change of ownership of the poroperty I live at.  I put up a Radio Shack scanner antenna, the ground plane type on a ten foot mast supported by a bucket of concrete, and although I can't get out as far as I used to, I can still use my radio.

Just a suggestion.  73!
At the moment the antenna (Tram 1481) is laying where it fell across the roof (Inaccessible by me) with the radials bent, and the coax cut by the neighbors lawnmower. it already has 15 foot of mast.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »

Ok.  So Bob lives in Ohio.  Suburb of Dayton if I recall.  Where is someone who can spend part of an afternoon putting up Bob's antenna or jury-rigging something to get him back on the air?  Isn't that what ham radio is all about?  How about all of the old timers who spend day and night bitching about no-code hams doing what THEIR Elmers did when they let them pound out practice code and help Bob get back on the air?

Hearing things like this makes me angry.  Are we just too busy to help a fellow ham for a few minutes?  The entire of city of Dayton and nobody will help him?  Who of us doesn't have a piece of coax our wives would love for us to throw away?  And how about the radio club?  Not a soul ever dropped Bob a call to see what is going on.  If someone is out of work is that club really going to go after him for his dues?  

No you see, ham radio is dying.  Probably dying because new hams don't know Morse code.  That must be it.  Right?  

If ham radio dies it is because we didn't do our J-o-b-s.  If I miss a golf game my friends what to know why.  If I don't show up and my volunteer job I get calls.  Why does this not happen in ham radio clubs?  I have heard this all too often.  Who in your club is responsible for membership?  And who helps that membership person drop people who are missing a call and see if they are OK?  Or maybe need a waiver of the dues until times improve.  Would that bankrupt the club?  This whole thread is a testimonial to missed opportunities.  

So here is the deal.  If one of the 1239 licensed hams in Dayton and God knows how many more in the area is willing to help Bob get back on the air maybe they could give him a call or send him an email.  He is obviously easily reachable here on eham.  Maybe he doesn't want a hand but it might be nice for someone to offer.  Maybe someone in his old radio club might contact him?  Big eyeroll. Roll Eyes  How many of those 1239 hams has a spare HT he could use just until he can get his station fixed?  I doubt there are too many of us who don't use at least one old one for a bookend.  

Maybe you don't have any coax to spare in Dayton to get this gentleman back on the air.  Let me know.  I'll send you some from Arizona.  We are tripping over the stuff.  It would be delicious irony if one of my fellow no-code amateurs would Elmer Bob back on to the air again.  

How about it Ohio?  Dayton?  Really?  The titular home of Ham Radio.  Home of the Dayton Hamfest?  DARA?  Anyone home?

I  hope I have not made anyone really mad.  Well maybe a little.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:39:54 PM by KE7UXE » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2012, 05:12:44 AM »

'UXE--great post!  Now---any takers?  If not in Dayton itself, how about the suburbs?  73!
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »

I second the GREAT post 'UXE.    Best I've read on this site I think.

If no one comes forward to help KD8DEY, then by golly let's get the guy a small HT - how about the Beofeng?  I'll kick in the first $10.   Be glad to source it, program some frequencies, and ship it to him myself.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2012, 02:22:51 PM »

Put me down for $10.00 too.  Great idea!
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »

OK, we're off to a great start.   The Baofeng is about $50 shipped from China so we only need about $30 more.  

Let's wait a few days to see whether a local Dayton ham will quickly step up to help Bob with his antenna/coax.   In the meantime, others interested in applying a few bucks (specify amount) towards the backup plan can email me at K3WEC at YAHOO dot COM.   I'll put folks on the list in the order in which they email me.  Once we reach a $50 combined commit, I'll post here and place the order if no one has stepped up in Dayton.   Only then will I ask that money be sent to me...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:13:35 PM by K3WEC » Logged
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »

It's a great gesture guys and I really appreciate it BUT a HT really wouldn't do me a lot of good. I am in a hole and reception/transmission is spotty at best.
That is why I had the antenna on top of the roof with a 15 foot mast.

I have enough extra coax length that I could probably cut a foot or so off each end where the neighbors mower ran over it and splice it back together with a barrel connector & a couple of PL259's with the 75 ohm adapters to get rid of any corrosion/water seepage.

My big problem is being able to get the parts and to find somebody willing to get on the roof to get the antenna back up, The radials bent back properly & knows how to install the straps so they don't fail again. Since my vehicle isn't running I don't even have a way to get anywhere to get the stuff even if it was a piece at a time if I came across a few extra bucks.

Google earth has an OLD street view of the house I am in where you can see my roof if you type in my address and zip code

If the radials cant be straightened I could possibly replace them with the same length of threaded rod and cover them with something to prevent corrosion.

In 2007, a little over a year after I got my ticket I became ill unexpectedly and was off the air in and out of the hospital.  After a few major surgeries, a month in a nursing home I could barely sit up for an hour or walk a block. 2 years later I found myself getting around a lot better even though not 100%.

Even though SSDI agrees that I have a lot of problems they don't consider them all together and no 1 problem stands out enough for me to qualify.

My employer of 9 years (Same security company DARA uses each year for ham fest) screwed me saying that they thought I quit 4 months before the doctors even released me. No companies want to hire somebody else's damaged goods.

So I decided to go back to school. Enrolled in ITT tech's CEET program. Had to drop out 3 quarters before graduation to take care of my wife whom became an Invalid and undergoing Dialysis. Now we are trying to get by on her SSDI alone and I get to stay at home to take care of her and her grandson.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:44:56 PM by KD8DEY » Logged
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »

Bob, I understand about the HT and being in low area.   We'll try to find some assistance for you to get your antenna back up.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »

It doesn't seem like anyone in Dayton is awake so I sent a note to the President of DARA referring him to this thread.  We'll see if he can rustle someone up.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »

Good new Bob.  Help is on the way.  I wrote to the president of DARA and he had not heard of your situation.  He said he would read our posts at their Friday meeting and said that they would help.

So Bob, let us know how it goes.  We need to give credit to DARA for their help because we got on their case pretty hard.
KB8OCP

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

Hi Gang,
Bob, Rick and all.
My good friend and DARA Pres. Don N6JRL alerted me to this situation earlier this evening. (thanks Rick) We had not heard about this...and I am usually made aware quickly.

I live in Kettering (good in the callbooks)
I admit that I have not read all of the comments on this thread yet.
However, I understand that Bob might need a hand getting some aluminum put back up and a coax splice performed.
Not a problem! I hate when my neighbor runs over my coax...grrrrr! worse when I do it  Grin
Feel free to contact me directly @ kb8ocp@yahoo.com
or forums@hamvention.org
I have a 13 ele 2m beam sitting in my barn that you are welcome to. We can also figure out a way to get you on HF if you desire.
Don't give up on you local clubs....I quit DARA some years back....but I finally woke up and realized that
I could be, and affect, the changes I wanted to see.
I will be recruiting a work crew this Friday at the meeting.
You will be full quieting into the machines and 10 over 9 soon Bob. I promise!
de
Dave Kalter KB8OCP
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »

Richard, That would be great if DARA comes through. I have a friend in Cincinnati that talked me into getting my Ticket (Shamed me into it) We lost contact with each other for 20 Years. When we reconnected He was a Ham.
He even made me upgrade to General together.

We both took the general exam and passed at the midnight madness test session held by DARA.
My buddy, KC8VLE Doesn't have a reliable vehicle to make it this far (60 miles+) and He's afraid of my pointy roof.

I've been on the DARA website, And it says "The lights are always on and the bands are always clear".
Since I took my general test there I was interested in checking out the club/members further. Stopped by their clubhouse a few different times on the weekend and nobody ever seemed to be there.

They have an electronic gate with keypad at the driveway so there is no driving up to knock on the door and nobody ever came out. Just for giggles I took a photo of their big stone with the engraving with the cell phone I had at the time.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: