Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dissappointed with the hobby and clubs so far  (Read 174476 times)
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »

Standard-issue "It's not ham radio if it's different than what I like".
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2012, 06:20:49 PM »

Standard-issue "It's not ham radio if it's different than what I like".

He's probably just out trolling, But I would have thought it was still a little too cold out........
KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2012, 10:55:36 PM »

First of all, don't worry about unfriendly people. I have been a Ham for 30 years, if I get on our local repeater I feel like a stranger and a outcast.

Its only natural for people to split up into little groups. Scan the ban (if you are operating 2 meters) and look for some simplex operation. In our area most of what I would call "Good Hams" operate simplex.

Also if you rig has the ability to operate D-Star Get on some of the reflectors, Reflector  1 C has stations checking in for all over the world and i have never heard any unfriendly people (I have listened to people that I could not understand, their accent coupled with my hearing means I cant always understand them.

I do not know if you are a General (if not don't worry about it, If I can do it ANYONE CAN) If you are going to get started in HF I would suggest 17 meters, small antenna, easy to build a wire and most people on 17 meters are very nice.

If you want to make your local Hams sound good and you have a HF receiver, tune in to 14.313 after you listen to those people your locals will seem like Saints to you!

Have fun, don't let anyone chase you off the air, us old farts need the new blood!
Delbert McCord
KA8OCN

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2012, 07:59:44 AM »

First 2 meters and the repeater club crap is not Ham radio. Your wasting your time, get on HF and start building or learning something technical so you have a bit of knowledge to chat with....

Just because it's a part of ham radio that isn't liked by someone, it isn't ham radio.  That's the worst type of claptrap there is, since ham radio is what YOU make it to be.  This is the one major reason why some people come to this hobby and then leave it immediately--the attitudes of certain hams like this one that can't allow for anything they don't like.  

Be it HF, VHF--or even the newer UHF and XHF frequencies, whether it is CW, voice or data, whether its getting a modern, first class equipped station or using the boat anchors of yesteryear, it's ALL ham radio, no matter what it is in it that certain old timers don't like--or appreciate.
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2012, 01:11:37 AM »

Now that I have HF capability I have Been hanging around a bit on the local 10m frequency.
seems that a few DARA members are hanging out on there as well. Maybe integrate myself
into the group slowly over time....

Still waiting on my club access code and key fob along with my first issue of the club newsletter Smiley

When I'm not on I have been letting others tune around remotely. Got a few different people tuning in the local control tower frequencies listening in on Aircraft traffic. They have been tuning in a lot lately. An IP look up tells me that they are tuning in from Canada.

I still need to work on grounding. Scrambled the radio and had to do a Hard Reset. Thought I had blown something. SSB went out on all bands. Only had transmit on AM/FM!!
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »

First 2 meters and the repeater club crap is not Ham radio. Your wasting your time, get on HF and start building or learning something technical.

Denny,
At the recent OMARC meeting, one of our members (who is 60+ in age) pulls out his iPad and demonstrates remote control of the HF radio at his home station via IP.    After the meeting, the site guys continue installing cabling in the classroom for the video conferencing system.  The same weekend, our resident brass team competed in a CW contest.

The following weekend, (during a work party installing servers and IT equipment)  there was discussion over lunch re on the possibility of deploying an iGate at the N2MO station to work in tandem with the W2GSA digi.

There's more to the hobby then HF.....

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:10:44 PM by W2RWJ » Logged
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »

Now that I have HF capability I have Been hanging around a bit on the local 10m frequency.
seems that a few DARA members are hanging out on there as well. Maybe integrate myself

Still waiting on my club access code and key fob along with my first issue of the club newsletter Smiley

When I'm not on I have been letting others tune around remotely. Got a few different people tuning in the local control tower frequencies listening in on Aircraft traffic. They have been tuning in a lot lately. An IP look up tells me that they are tuning in from Canada.

I still need to work on grounding. Scrambled the radio and had to do a Hard Reset. Thought I had blown something. SSB went out on all bands. Only had transmit on AM/FM!!

How do I listen in?

You think I can set up my old Drake for remote listening?  I'm envisioning a giant servo system and gear train to turn the PTO, band switch, RF gain, and antenna tuner.   Grin
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »

How do I listen in?

You think I can set up my old Drake for remote listening?  I'm envisioning a giant servo system and gear train to turn the PTO, band switch, RF gain, and antenna tuner.   Grin

You probably could just tune it to an interesting frequency......

http://beta.remotehams.com/orb.html?id=2308
N2LXM

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »

I can see how some people can be disappointed with clubs. The two clubs I belong to are very active. This Saturday one club will be holding it's Spring Tailgate Hamfest, We are also going to be on the Air for the 25th Anniversary for the International Marconi Day Special Event. Having an active club with members who help others is one reason I belong to these groups.
N0SOY

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »

I live in an area in MO that has a similar problem.  There are 2 clubs.  One is so clannish that I was told that new members were not really wanted.  The other told me that their purpose was not to help new hams get started or on th air but to maintain the repeater and have a nightly net.  No one has offered to help me with anything. 

I want to try HF (40 meters looks good) and have a lot of questions that could be answered by an elmer. 

At this rate the younger potential hams are going become fewer and fewer.

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2012, 07:48:24 AM »

I don't plan on giving up so easily,I am going for my general to get into HF and dxing and have had some pleasant and interesting experiences just leaving echolink run on my phone or pc for a while and a random person from many of locations have struck up a conversation,I am fascinated with rf and electronics,I was the kid who had my mother chasing me around the house because I took the vcr apart at 7 years old to see how it worked  Grin.RF equipment and cabling was in my job desciption for many years.I have gotten some good pointers on other forums and what seem like friendly people but just seems a waste that some of the locals seem to act this way

Get your extra, learn CW and try DX, you will never Roll Eyes go back to where you are now.......... Gene AF3Y
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »

WOW! This thread is still going!

This hobby has such a huge variety of options that no body really needs a club unless you share the same social characteristics ,or facets of the hobby many others do. I for one don't need a club because I'm a very easy going, considerate, open minded, generous, social individual. I can go anyway and meet anyone and within minutes share drinks, jokes, laughs and good times, or can enjoy days, hours, months and years by myself like I have for 22 years as a ham.

I posted a comment on this thread about a year ago or so on my bad experiences with repeaters and a club or two. Turned out I even mentioned a club back then I participated with during Field Day that turned out to be the best club atmosphere I ever experienced in 22 years.

This year for 2012 I decided to try a different club and the majority of the members were a total bunch of, JERKS!

You don't like one then try another club till you find the one that suits you. If that doesn't work then improve your out look on life and improve your social skills so that no matter where you go you can adapt and fit right in anywhere unless you still run into a club full of obnoxious miserobs.

That simple!

K5JYD

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2012, 06:05:27 AM »

No one around here actually does a real field day anymore, its really just a social event and usually they eat more burgers than they make  qso,s , :-), but it does not matter, its just a hobby. The local clubs are experts at talking about ham radio and how wonderful ham radio is but many of the extras in these clubs know little abt hf and seldom get on hf , some don't even know how to build or put up a dipole and 99% know nothing abt cw  or dx  . I find this amusing since I have never met a modern day ham that didnt want to know cw or was not planning on learning it ,:-). The average modern day ham has radios running out of his ears, (most are vhf/uhf) , usually has a vertical or beam somewhere in the yard that does not work right and he is always going to check that out some day, they don't know cw or chase dx, never heard of worked all states and they brag abt making a phone contact into the next county,:-), they secretly yearn for a disaster to happen so they can save the world with their ht and deep down inside  they always wanted to be a cop or a fireman , :-). Thats ok, its just a hobby .
k5jyd
OOTC
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2012, 07:53:49 AM »

No one around here actually does a real field day anymore, its really just a social event and usually they eat more burgers than they make  qso,s , :-), but it does not matter, its just a hobby. The local clubs are experts at talking about ham radio and how wonderful ham radio is but many of the extras in these clubs know little abt hf and seldom get on hf , some don't even know how to build or put up a dipole and 99% know nothing abt cw  or dx  . I find this amusing since I have never met a modern day ham that didnt want to know cw or was not planning on learning it ,:-). The average modern day ham has radios running out of his ears, (most are vhf/uhf) , usually has a vertical or beam somewhere in the yard that does not work right and he is always going to check that out some day, they don't know cw or chase dx, never heard of worked all states and they brag abt making a phone contact into the next county,:-), they secretly yearn for a disaster to happen so they can save the world with their ht and deep down inside  they always wanted to be a cop or a fireman , :-). Thats ok, its just a hobby .
k5jyd
OOTC

Sounds like Field Day around here to me too this year ,but thats not the case all over and the context of your statement is misleading. No offense!

Not all Field Day Clubs and attendees show up to eat and leaving as soon as the break down begins. Lot of clubs enjoy the setting up, social gathering, and competetiveness of the event which is what I'm looking for and its out there. Even though everyone has a right to an opinion as well as the right to agree ,or disagree the comment much loosely herd all over is "It's just a hobby" is disrespectful to me and others all though politically correct and true to an extent.

Just because its a hobby to some doesn't mean that there shouldn't be any regard and respect for the foundation for which the hobby was built on which is "being an ambassador of good will", "serving community and country", and respect for the technical aspect for everyone that can apply amateur radio one way or another to their career's. From a peace keeping aspect this "hobby" also has a unique way of breaking that negative human social barrier any other social event or activity that can carry that prejudice stigmata. No one cares what you look like, sound like, speak like, or anything behind that microphone, cw key, or computer screen any where in the world when it comes to this hobby. Not many hobbies can say that. At field day gatherings realistically might be a little different, but generally not. It's more of an obnoxious, conceded, cliquish attitude you generally have to put up with more so. 

Point is it's not just a hobby and it's an insult to genius's that contributed and the average person that took this hobby and turned into a phenomena that has impacted our high tech world and has changed all our lives one way or another. A hobby is just a hobby when it has only a personal gratification and no bearing on any other subject. Ham radio hits more subjects than pushing the PTT or playing with your knobs.

If you catch my drift!   

73, Smiley
N4EES

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »

I live in Gatlinburg, TN, and I don't know any hams at all, personally.  But, I have an absolute ball with this hobby...I work HF, CW only.  I am a member of the SKCC, and everyone in that group are as nice as they can be.  QRP, chasing DX, and just plain operating CW is so much fun, I almost can't stand it.  But, I don't go to local hamfests, I don't hang out on local repeaters, and I don't associate with the local ham cliques.  Many hams are arrogant, pompous, know it alls, whom I don't care to hang out with, or even know.  But, to me, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER.  Once I earned my extra ticket, there was so much more DX and so much fun on the HF bands...I don't have time to even bother with fitting in with the local ham cliques. 

I don't mean to imply that hams in my area are anything other than warm and courteous....I just don't know any of them.

N4EES
SKCC#1434
CW nut, and key collecting junkie
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: