Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I have done??  (Read 1904 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2011, 07:29:40 AM »

I'm a little embarrassed about this but...

Last night I worked a station. He was slow CW with a straight key. I heard him call CQ a couple of times so I figured I would respond and help him out.

I could tell the poor fellow was struggling a bit but I was patient and we worked a full QSO with the exchange and light pleasantry's. I could tell that he was kind of struggling for something Else to say and how to say so I ended the QSO with a polite thanks.

Immediately another station called me at a faster rate. I quickly sent that it was "Joes" frequency. Then the other station asked about QSY'ing up 1. I told him no "lets make it quick". I now realize I was wrong and should have moved.

The problem is I am not exactly frequency agile what with an old boat anchor xmitter separate receiver and a switch in between them. Hell I'm lucky to get the right frequency on the first try let alone hunt out a specific frequency.

But I wonder what would be the most efficient way of telling someone "its not my frequency"?
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:46:15 AM »

Since it's not your frequency, you want to minimize the disruption and be brief.  Just send something like "QSY up 1," or "QSY 7034," once you have made a reasonable determination that your new frequency is available.

Chuck  NI0C
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »

I actually tried to get a new Q signal created for "it's not my frequency" (or equivalent), since there really isn't one and this expression is a perfect candidate for abbreviation.

So I wrote to the League (years ago) and was reminded that this stuff is all international and must go through the ITU, and it's a big process.

Oh well, gave it a shot.

I agree it's awkward and more time consuming than it needs to be to explain why, upon being called, you immediately want to QSY elsewhere.  On phone, I just say, "Not my frequency, try up 3" or something.  On CW it would be nice to have a Q signal.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »

On CW it would be nice to have a Q signal.

It would, but I doubt it would get used much. Most hams have a very limited Q signal vocabulary (QTH, QSY, QRM, QRN, QSL, QRZ, and maybe a few others) and are not likely to encounter a new one except by accident.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:44:41 AM »

While you might not be "frequency agile," I commend you on your operating ability and courtesy!  As others here have stated, you could have said, "QSY up/down 3 or 3KHz" after you made a reasonable check to see if the new frequency is clear.

Being able to change frequency is just another skill we hams should practice doing just as we practice and improve our CW or voice operating abilities.

Being an old ham that grew up with "boat anchor" equipment I can understand your problem with accurately changing frequencies but it can be done within reason.  You should  understand when you say, "Please QSY up/down 2 KHz," this isn't an exact science.  If you move 1 or 3 KHz or even 4 KHz, the other station will find you without a problem.

You sound like a very considerate operator and I compliment you.

K8AXW

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:51:57 PM »

The appropriate Q-signal is:

. . . QRL  (the frequency is in use)

To _ask_ "Is the frequency busy?":

. . .   QRL?

So you could have replied:

. . .   QRL = QSY  UP 5

or something like that.

Charles