Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm contesting so screw the band plan!  (Read 1108 times)
G7HEU

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2003, 03:25:32 AM »

Hello all

I have an open mind on contesting -I've not seriously competed but may one day, ( That is I'm neither for or against this aspect of the hobby ).

This morning I can hear a number of SSB stations calling CQ contest in the CW portion of the 40Mtr band. Most notably VP2E on 7.0265. It's caused a big mess with jammers, powerful CW stations calling CQ and many others using SSB to repeatedly say 'This is the CW portion of the band' (pots and kettles?).

So, I'm interested to know the majority opinion. In a contest is it o.k. to use any amateur frquency you like or should operators consider the band plan?

Steve
M0HEU / G7HEU.

I don't need anyone to explain that the band plan is a gentlemens aggreement. I already know what it is, my question relates to its implementation.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 09:18:25 AM »

Well they ought to honor the band plan.  But since it is not regulation, you can't force them.

Here in the US, we have some mandated splits in our bands (e.g.  CW & narrow modes from 14.00 to 14.15 with voice and other wide modes from 14.15 to 14.35).  But layered on top of that are also band plans.  They are largely ignored during contest.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 08:26:07 PM »

A bandplan makes sense when the band is operating at less than full capacity - it allows dissimilar modes to have their own space. It allows one to "find" the mode one is interested in as well.

During a contest, when tens of thousands of QSOs are being made, can one really say that amtor or packet or SSTV or CW has any more right to a band segment than the thousands of operators doing the contest?

Contests that take over the band occur quite rarely. Perhaps a 3-4 times a year for a given mode.

(See my response to a similar question asked in this forum:

http://www.eham.net/forums/Contesting/404

Mike N2MG
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 04:31:45 PM »

"In a contest is it o.k. to use any amateur frquency you like or should operators consider the band plan?"

Why don't you check the contest rules and see?

But really, who care if two or three times a year, one hears SSB in your CW band?

It isn't like 40 meters is the ONLY cw band.

You probably won't get much sympathy from here, 'cause we put up with tons of SSB in our 40 meter CW portion.  Heck, even the people north of us QRM our CW band with SSB.

Bob

PS: I managed a couple of local 40 meter CW Qs.
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 06:51:44 PM »

I hate to hear SSB anymore.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 08:27:17 PM »

Steve,
    You have also to consider that (unfortunately) the different ITU Regions at the present time have different allocations, and Regions 1 and 3 have NO voice (SSB) frequencies in common with Region 2.  The WRC-03 came up with a partial solution, resulting in realignment of 40M, and reassignment of some of the broadcast stations, but it will be a bit of time before it is implemented.

However, if contest (or any) stations were operating outside of their band/mode allocation for their Region or country, then they should face legal consequences.
ON4MGY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 12:25:41 PM »

I really enjoy contesting and whenever I can I enter one. I must say I always try to respect the bandplan and when I'm not respecting the bandplan by mistake, I do QSY when somebody just asks me.
I think all contesters should respect the bandplan, just like all non-contesters. It's the only way to make sure all types of hams can use the band for their purposes without making other ham's angry and frustrated.

We're all ham's, so let's share our bands as we should!

73 de ON4MGY Nic
G7HEU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 02:09:59 PM »

Thanks guys for your comments.

W9LBB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 10:45:24 PM »

"Gentleman's Agreement"Huh

For a gentleman's agreement to exist, you've gotta start out with GENTLEMEN...  and a contester in hot pursuit of points don't qualify for that term, IMHO.

WB8UHZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 11:45:32 AM »

I read you info on bandplans and contesting. You note that 1000's of contestesters are operating.
Do you realize that the CQ WW only receives 5000 log entrys, period. Sure there are more involved but more do to " whatelse can be done without being qrm'ed " than what I want to do. Contesting and contesters should follow all band plans .
tim
thanks
HAMDUDE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 11:54:04 AM »

Most contesters dont follow any bandplan but their own. They dont bother to listen if the frequency is in use before they bellow  "Cq contest Cq contest your 5-9 5-9"! All they care about is that mention in QST and their little certificate to hang on the wall.
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 07:44:50 PM »

"CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST ......  REPEAT YOUR CALL AGAIN.... ONE MORE TIME....GOOD SIGNAL HERE YOU'RE 599 HERE THANKS FOR THE CONTACT"
W9WHE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 05:17:42 PM »

Conterster credo:

1) Turn ALL knobs to the right:
2) Might makes right
3) Screw the bandplan!
4) I can squash him like a bug, so he doesn't count
5) Its easer to appologize for clobbering your QSO then ask if the frequency is in use
6) Your not a contester, you don't count!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2004, 02:52:11 AM »

Specifically on 40 meters,  there is a section where we do cw.. and the rest of the world does ssb.  
this will be addressed in 2007 when the band plan changes made in the iaru confrence of 2003,  and it will also get rid of the am broadcasters on the 40 meter band.  ya never hear any one saying lets not have the foreign brodcast stop on weekends..

most folks on 40 contests from world wide evevts  work split on 40.   they tx on 7.020 or so and listen at 7.220 and we listen at 7,020 and tx at 7.220.    

life is full of little inconvienences..

73  tom N6AJR
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2004, 02:36:24 PM »

My friend, in a phone contest anything goes, including working split on top of an on-going qso.  No one really gives a damn during a contest.  That's just the way it's been for decades and the way it will be for the indefinite future.  That is why I spend my time on 17 meters during a phone contest.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: