Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TX out of band?  (Read 685 times)
N0XMZ

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:17:02 PM »

So why do I hear so many contesters TX (SSB) below 7.125 on 40 meters? I'm not talking about the DX stations that can use voice down there, I'm talking about American stations - right here on the mainland. Funny how I never see the FCC issue warnings and fines to these folks. Is there an exception to this rule that I'm not aware of?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:47:05 PM »

If you are sure they are on the mainland US, there is no exceptions.  So these people just don't know the rules.
N1BHH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »

What I find most disgusting is when a DX station is operating split, and he is clearly saying "up" or clearly stating "listening" on whatever frequency, there are many who just aren't hearing the station clearly, and also can't remember what frequency their license allows them to operate on. There are those who also still don't know how to set up their radios split VFO function.
W3JXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 02:30:37 PM »

All DXers occasionally transmit out of the band. When "buck fever" hits everyone forgets to push the split button once in awhile, it's not desirable but it happens. It's nothing to get bent out of shape over. What is worth getting angry about is deliberate interference and "band cops" that cause the most problems.

John, W3JXP
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 08:54:21 AM »

I heard lots of people out of band over the last weekend. Not only on 40 meters, in the Region 1 band, but on 15,20 & 40 with people signing /AG operating out of the general portions of the respective bands.

Time for these guys to get copies of the new bandplans and LEARN THEM !!!!!!!!!!

I understand it's easy to use the wrong VFO on 40, but when someone (a band cop) tells a contester that he is out of band on 40 (In the region 1 area) and the contester replies "So What" That just NOT the type of attitude we need. By the way, I heard the "So What" comment several times over the ARRL DX contest.

Time for an attitude re-arraingement.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 05:51:04 PM »

"Time for an attitude re-arraingement. "

Or it's time to quit worrying about what the "other guy" is doing.  So you come across someone transmitting out of band.  It's not like he's transmitting in a spot where you could be instead.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 07:57:07 AM »

I disagee strongly with this "anything other people do is OK" attitude.

Amateur radio is based on people following rules. That's actually the only thing that separates us from CB radio.

Peer pressure always was a key factor in making sure people followed the rules. It used to be no one would tolerate swearing, hum, splatter, distortion, out of band operation, and so on.

Somehow in the 80's or 90's the attitude of this country turned it all around so people doing the right thing (i.e. telling people they had a problem) became the bad guys and people doing the wrong thing were accepted or the wrong behavior just ignored.

This is exactly why people no longer listen in pileups and behave, and why a few contestors think nothing of going out of band on purpose.

The most serious rule to break is the frequency alloctaion rule, and it is also the easiest to identify. IMO anyone breaking that rule should suffer some sort of consequence.

73 Tom
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 01:56:07 PM »

I have never heard anyone intentionally transmitting out of band during a contest.  I have heard hams xmit on the DX freq because they accidentally didn’t press or double pressed the “split” button.  These are honest mistakes and shouldn’t get other hams all upset.  Often times it’s the “Radio (keystone) Cops” who create more problems than the unsuspecting ham who made a mistake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: