Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UP grading  (Read 5853 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »

Do you re-read these posts when you go to a thread you've already participated in?  You should--to refresh your memory.  So, what's wrong with refreshing your memory when you take the extra test? 

Apologising in advance for stating the obvious--better yet, why don't you find something actually worthwhile to complain about?
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »

no iam mad that they screwed up radio.with no code crap.making cbers that cant do code welcome,i took the advanced once and if i go to extra i have to take it again... which is stupid as cb

So they truth comes out...same old tired argument.

1. "radio" is not screwed up, your ego is.
2. "cbers" CAN "do code", what makes you think they can't? ANYONE can learn Morse code. Children and Adults alike can learn the code. Even people with learning disabilities.
3. Move forward and take the Extra Exam. Show a bit of humility, and be an example instead of whining about the way things used to be.
4. If you dislike the hobby, do not participate. Simple as that.

I grew up in the 70's, I will be 50 this year. I grew up with the CB radio, and with the many movies that hollywood created with a "CB theme".  For many thousands of Amateurs, the CB was a natural stepping stone to ham radio for obvious reasons. The same laws of propagation apply to the radio signals that come from the CB as the Amateur Rig. I represent the largest group of Amateurs today, I grew up with the CB radio, and graduated to something better. I see more of this sort of discontent in on-line forums such as these than I hear on my HF Rig. In fact, the largest stain to Amateur Radio are the clowns on 14.275, and 14.313. Most, if not all of the Hams that troll on those frequencies are pre no-code amateurs.

I have a deep respect for my elder hams. They are needed for their experience, and expertise. Instead of whining about the no-code generation of hams, why not sit down and teach a new ham how to use the key? You are not representative of the elder ham. You are in the minority. You have a seriously bad attitude towards the hobby, and an antisocial disposition.

I became an Amateur in 1994. A few years later, I took the 5 wpm code test when I found out it was going to be dropped. I felt, and still feel that the code is an important part of HR history, so I studied the code before there was no more requirement. I hear other Amateurs often say that the CW part of the band is more active now than before the no-code implementation. Many new hams are learning the code.

It's time to move forward. If you hate the radio hobby, take up needlepoint. I love the hobby, so I will participate Smiley
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »

A trained monkey could pass any of the tests just by studying the published questions and correct answers for a week or two. 

That's true, but parroting isn't learning. Some of the stuff they cover in those exams turned out pretty useful for me.

As a side note, I am debating the merits of upgrading from General to Extra.   Right now I don't see a heck of a lot of benefit for me.

Well, VEs are always needed... that would be a big help to ham radio...
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 04:18:53 AM »

BTW, I always felt the Advanced was harder than the Extra back when they were separate tests.

I took them in 1992, and I felt the same way--the written test for Advanced was pretty tough, at least for liberal arts majors.  :-)  The written for Extra was a walk in the park, compared with the Advanced test.

(Hmm ...  Talking about the old days.  I guess I must now officially be an Old Phart.)   ;-)
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 06:12:04 AM »

Advanced concentrated more on theory, Extra more on rules and regulations when I took them.  I liked the Advanced better.  The whole time I was taking the Extra I kept thinking I will never launch a satellite why do I have to know this.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 08:28:51 AM »

You should have taken it when you passed the 20 wpm code or maybe you did and did not pass it then.  Then you should have taken it again the following month and then the following month until you passed. It makes no never mind to me if you take it, it only matters to you. As for me, I have held them all ast one time and never complained about whether I should take or retake a test. Do or don't it is only important to you.

P.S. If you passed the Advanced before you should have no trouble doing it again!
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »

no iam mad that they screwed up radio.with no code crap.making cbers that cant do code welcome,i took the advanced once and if i go to extra i have to take it again... which is stupid as cb

Hot dog. A chance to use the ignore button.  Grin
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 12:32:16 AM »

Up here in Maine we have our peeing contest out in snowbanks,not on eHam forums.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 06:37:02 AM »

why do i have to retake the Advanced test,with the extra to get the extra???

You don't have to take the Advanced test again. In fact, you can't, because it doesn't exist any more.

All you have to do is take the Extra test. 50 questions. 37 or more right is a passing grade. Free online practice tests right here on eham.

iam Advanced now,so why in the  he double hockey sticks . do i have to retake it? this is so stupid.

The Extra test is required because them's the rules. What's stupid IMHO is getting all worked up about a simple test. Are you saying you can't pass it?

i can see if your a no code ham. iam not. i passed 20 wpm perfect copy.

So what?

I passed 20 wpm solid copy at an FCC office back in 1970. Plus sending at 20 wpm with a straight key, and the Extra written, all at the same FCC exam session. Wasn't really all that hard. Worst part was the 2 year experience requirement.

I passed the Advanced in the summer of 1968 at the FCC office, too. No big deal. A few weeks later I started high school.

All ancient history now.

Point is, I'm not impressed by your "i passed 20 wpm perfect copy" excuse to get out of a simple written test. A test that elementary-school kids have passed.

If the FCC said tomorrow that I had to pass all the tests all over again, I'd just do it. Old, new, or both. No big deal. BRING IT ON!

iam studing to upgrade.but now thinking for get it..

Why? All you're doing is limiting what YOU can do.

---

An analogy:

Back in 1997 I paid over $2000 for a new Dell PC. 200 MHz Pentium processor, 32 Mb RAM, 6 gig HD, Win95, 15 inch Trinitron monitor, 56k modem - the works!

Today anybody can buy a new Dell PC with ten to a hundred times the computing power for less than half the price.

Should I be make fun of folks who do, because they paid less than I did and got more?

73 de Jim N2EY
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 09:39:43 AM »

KI8BL--I received the personal message you sent.  It will find its way to the proper people with this thread referenced.  Have a nice day.
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 07:23:38 AM »

I thought everyone said the tests were so easy these days, nothing like how hard they were in the old days. So Taking the Amateur Extra test should be easy. At least that's what everyone keeps saying about today's tests.

Bernie
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »

Some people just take the Extra test because it's there.  Like some climb mountains because they're there. 

As for the Extra ticket; OK, maybe the advantages of having it are small but it's nice to be able to move throughtout the band without concerning myself with band segments!

That was basically why I went for it - why not? Smiley
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »

Try to remember Armature Radio, is just a Hobby. Govern by the FCC ,by the power granted it by the US Congress.
At this time the FCC has ask Congress for 350 MIL for its next Budget. Ask your self , have they did a good job Govern Armature
Radio? I think No, look at the QRM by disaffected  (Bad) Hams, look at the argument above about the advanced license holders, its normal for the FCC to advance a license holder, when his type of license is fazes out by the FCC. But never have they make him retest for the same license ,before testing for a new license class, advanced ticket holders should only need to test for the Extra

So what is the FCC doing to our Hobby, and why 350 M budget? I think all Ham license should be brought into the 21 Century.
Starting by bringing back the Novice as a new Basic license to support phone and data modes as well as FCC Reg's, and drop the enfaces on CW and the same for the Tech license holder The new Tech should mirror the General license ,with less band space. If a Tech wants more band space, he must test for a full General license?

If you should agree with some this, all you need to do Wright or email your Congress Person and Win their endorsement .On what should change in this Hobby. And they will confront the FCC for you? Note: this will cause all hell, to break loose at The FFC, and should be done by groups with the best interest for our Hobby!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:43:48 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 07:34:26 PM »

Roll Eyes
The more you persist with your RANT, RAGE and Temper TANTRUM. The more your behavior resembles a CBer!
Even a Puppy Dog grows up and quit whining!

(((73))) Milverton.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: