Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Begali Pearl vs. N3ZN ZN-5  (Read 2120 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2011, 02:02:04 PM »

My birthday is next month and I've been hinting to my wife that I need a new key.

I've had my eye on a few high-end paddles from Begali and N3ZN and have my short list narrowed down to the Begali Pearl and the N3ZN ZN-5.

There are no local dealers who stock either of these as they're limited production items, and there are no upcoming hamfests where I might get a chance to try these (and other) keys. Anyone have any experience using these keys? I'm particularly interest in hearing from anyone who has used both.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »

That is going to be a difficult choice.  MY guess is that you'd be happy with either.  Finding someone who has used both is also like looking for a rare bird!
Chuck  NI0C
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:06:42 PM »

I haven't used these two exact keys but I have a Graciella and a sl-1 and I prefer  the ZN key for its action  I also have the single lever Begalli and find the ZN key is tighter than the Begallis   Both are excellent manufacturers.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:12:39 AM »

I own a ZN-5 and have briefly tested a Begali Pearl. I liked the looks of the Begali a bit better, but the feel (a very subjective thing) of the N3ZN key better. The swinger was buying a US-made key - I liked that.

There was great review in March 2009 QST of the various high end CW keys. My only negative on the ZN-5 is I'd like it to be a bit heavier to be stickier to my operating table surface. I had to put a bit of sticky stuff on the feet to keep it from moving around when my sending gets too frantic.

John K3TN

John K3TN
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:48:07 AM »

That's gonna be a tough one. Both are superb keys, not a thing wrong with them. It's all a matter of which feels better to you. I've tried both the N3ZN keys and Begali keys at Dayton and I own a Begali Signature and both were very good keys. You can't go wrong with either of them. It's too bad you can't find anyone local to you that would allow you to check them out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: