Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Absolute Timing of International Morse  (Read 3152 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2011, 07:43:11 PM »

I'm trying to determine the length of the basic element of International Morse -- the "dit".

My calculations go as follows:

The duration of the dit is the basic timing element. A dah is 3x the dit. Inter-element spacing is the length of a dit. Inter-letter spacing is 3x dits. Inter-word spacing is 7x dits.

The word PARIS has traditionally been used as the standard "word" when determining WPM speeds. Adding all of the elements of PARIS together yields 43 dit elements.

So, now taking 20 WPM as an example, sending PARIS 20 times will take (20 * 43) + ((20-1) * 7) dit durations. The total is 993 dit times. Dividing this into 60 seconds yields a dit time of 60.4 msec.

If one dit at 20 WPM is 60.4msec, then this generalizes to:

dit time = (60.4msec * 20) /WPM = 1208msec / WPM

Are my assumptions and calculations correct? Is any of this defined in a formal specification somewhere?
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 01:08:07 AM »

The common calculations include the last inter-word space of 7 dits, which then yields exactly 1000 dit times for 20 * PARIS, resulting in the formula dit_time = 1200 / WpM. Much easier to remember :-)

I don't know if there's a formal definition anywhere, but I'd be glad to learn if there is one.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 03:39:52 AM »

DJ1YFK is correct. "PARIS" is exactly 50 dit-times long, so you get the formula 1200/wpm for the length of a dit in milliseconds.

Of course all such formulas are approximations based on the "average" length of a character (which can vary from the single dit of "E" to the long punctuation such as the comma) and the "average" length of a word (typically assumed to be 5 characters).

73 de Jim, N2EY 
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »

Thanks.

I need to generate Morse via computer and wanted to make sure I had the basic timings correct.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: