Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM IC-9100 FCC approval?  (Read 7390 times)
KZ2S

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:47:27 AM »

Icom America has removed the pending FCC approval from the product page and have put up a owners manual on the downloads page. I think it has been approved for U.S, sale.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »

From the Universal Radio Website -

This device was approved by the F.C.C. on 02/10/11. The information shown is very preliminary and may be subject to change without notice or obligation.

No price published yet by any of the online retailers.
KF5IZN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:53:26 AM »

I am a new Technician ticket holder, and am looking to purchase my first radio.  I am interested in the IC-7000 but this one looks more promising  for computer/remote functions.   I just hope it isn't a lot more expencive. so far I haven't seen any pricing information. 

If I were a gambler I would bet we will see something this week on prices.
KZ2S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

I hear that it will be in the $3200 neighborhood. Also looking at the IC-7000 for the mobile rig.
W3RXO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »

I would be surprised if the "base model" were anything less than $2500-$2800, plus optional equipment. Certainly, the more likely scenario, would be in the $3200 range as previously noted. I am SO over this radio, before it ever hit the market. Icom hyped it for FAR too long, and I was worn out, several months ago. I am very happy with my TS-480HX, my IC-7K, my Collins and my Drakes. If I feel the need to do D-Star on HF, I'll get the available module, and run it on the 480, like my friends do on their TS-2000's. I like my D-Star on 2 m and 70 cm, and have no use for 23 cm, so why would I want to spend all that money, which I could put into upgrading antennas, which will actually help me in the modes I already use, rather than one I might use?
Sorry Icom, you really messed up on this "Roll-Out". At best, it was anti-climatic. Much like the hyped up evening news. Lots of fanfare, for the same old bad news.
You guys who are considering the 7K, get it, then get the D-Star module, that plugs into the port for packet, and you'll be FAR ahead of the game, cost wise.
VE4CY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 07:51:05 AM »

They're selling the 9100 right now in Japan for $3300 U.S. see --> http://en.item.rakuten.com/auc-hanna/ic-9100wb/

If you use the shipping cost calculator supplied on the web site, you'll see it's about $200-300 to ship a unit to North America.

But, it wouldn't be a good deal.  Getting warranty work done would be a nightmare, all the documentation would be in Japanese, and 2 meters is permanently limited in firmware on the JA version.  (They only use 144-146 Mhz).

So I'm guessing the rig will go for about $3400 - $3500 here in North America.   It will probably be around $4000 decked out with the optional roofing filters, the 1.2 Ghz module and the D-Star card.

They certainly did 'overhype' the radio.  It was announced at the Tokyo ham fair in August 2009 and it's been coming ever since.  Almost 2 years..  It's as bad as the Chevy Volt.

Having said all this, I'm still seriously considering one.   I put away $3600 last summer when they announced the radio would be on sale sometime in October 2010. -->   http://www.radiocronache.com/2010/08/httpwww-radiocronache-comp2397/ 

Oh well, I've been earning a whole .75% interest on the money I put away Smiley
NR9R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »

My prediction is $2699.

You can find the price in JPY on the icom.co.jp site for the IC-9100 as 312,900 Yen.  ICOM adjusts prices from the US market so you can't just convert to USD, but it keeps the price ratios about the same for different models.  For instance, the IC-7600 is 1.85 times the price of the IC-7410, and the IC-7700 is 3.25 times the price of the IC-7410 in both JPY and USD (according to current HRO prices).  In JPY, the IC-9100 is listed for 1.37 times the price of the IC-7410, which would indicate about $2734 USD.  But $2699 is a nicer number.

~Anthony, NR9R (ex AA9OC)
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »

$3800 on HRO's website.
KD7RAW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:55:38 PM »

3800.00 dollars! I think I will opt for a Kenwood TS-2000
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »

Whens Icom going to bring out a decent contest grade VHF/UHF/SHF transceiver? These do everything HF/VHF/UHF boxes do everything badly.

In Europe  most of Icoms VHF all mode transceivers cant be used for VHF contesting because of phase noise, spurious and IMD product issues. In fact many older model Icom transceivers are much better in  performance than the current model transceivers.

You can read about the issue here.

http://www.df9ic.de/tech/trxtest/trxtest.html

Just like we need decent HF radios with decent IMD dynamic and TX IMD, we also need VHF/UHF radios with exemplary  receivers and transmitters. What we get every time is radios that cause more problems on the bands. Sure they satisfy the people who want a shack in the box, however they are mostly lousy radios for serious operators.

Non of Icoms HF or VHF products are in the top 10 league table of performance. Icom really needs to get serious about the lack  of performance of their complete product line. Bells and whistles and big color bandscopes cant take the place of RX and TX performance.

Every year that goes by we see constant stream of new radio models, very few if any of these new radio models actually try and deliver real world improvement that helps hams in their day to day activities. We just a gravy train for the manufacturers for dont give a damn about technical performance issues.  This new Icom model is just another rehash of the older model with very little real world improvement. I guess we will just  have to wait and see how well it holds up, I aint holding my breath for out of this world performance!

Icom we need more performance not another new radio model just for the sake of it!

WZ3O

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:55:04 PM »

As would I, the TS-2000 can for practical purposes hold it's own.....Had one, shoulda' kept it.....did all I needed in a rig...

A bit off topic, but I think the IC 7410 for 2K is a bit high as well, and how Icom calls it a replacement for the 746Pro without 2M???

I have & use & like my IC 7000, IC 7200, IC 706MKiiG....so I think I'll keep them & I probably don't have 3800$ total in them.....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:56:47 PM by KB3RPE » Logged
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 04:02:58 AM »

If I feel the need to do D-Star on HF, I'll get the available module, and run it on the 480, like my friends do on their TS-2000's. I like my D-Star on 2 m and 70 cm, and have no use for 23 cm, so why would I want to spend all that money, which I could put into upgrading antennas, which will actually help me in the modes I already use, rather than one I might use?
It will do D-Star on HF?  That's news to me if it does.  And how do your friends do D-Star on a Kenwood TS-2000?  Icom is the only one making D-Star equipment as far as I know.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 06:57:17 AM »

As would I, the TS-2000 can for practical purposes hold it's own.....Had one, shoulda' kept it.....did all I needed in a rig...

I would not be so bold here. The 2000 conceived in later 90's was a neat concept 12 years ago but it is VERY dated today. Unlike analogy radios that peaked long ago, DSP radios of 90's (like PC's) are very primitive by today's main stream standards. If Kenwood were to modernize it and call it a 2010 or 2100 with modern parts it would warrant a serious look. As it stands now it early DSP parts are so dated that Kenwood has had some trouble getting some parts for them for repair. There was a time when I seriously considered buying one a few years ago until I played with one and found it lacking.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 07:35:39 AM »

It was mentioned that the IC-9100 will do HF D-Star and I questioned that.  I did some searching on my own and found out that, yes, the IC-9100 will do D-Star on HF...but only on 10 and 6M simplex (obviously since there are no repeaters on either of those bands that support D-Star).  From what I've read on Icom's IC-9100 website, it sounds like a very interesting radio...although I wish it had a color display like the 7600, 7700 and 7800.  I like the fact that it has two independent receivers and can port the audio from those two receivers to different speakers when external speakers are used.  It's unfortunate that the roofing filters are simply options, but I guess that's understandable given the price range Icom is shooting for given everything else this radio can do.
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 07:28:06 PM »

The Icom 9100 almost seems destined to become to Amateur Radio, what the ill-fated Bren Ten was to handgunning.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: