Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPIB control of DVM anyone??  (Read 2618 times)
KD2E

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2014, 05:51:37 AM »

I have a popular dvm, which can be controlled by its' IEEE488 interface. (Keithley 2000)
All I want to do is take a few measurements...a minute apart.

I don't want to take a college course on Labview, and download a dozen "sets" of tables and data.

I have a GPIB interface. Is there any easy program just to "make a measurement, save it, wait a minute".

Can anyone suggest an easy way to make this happen?   I think these days, there are a few dmm's that can do this all by themselves.
I may actually go that route, if this turns out to be Rocket Science!

Thanks.....Dave
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 08:21:58 AM »

You'll probably have to write the code yourself if you can't find anything on the interwebs.  The manual for your 488 interface board should have examples in several languages on how to write interfaces.  The command list for the DVM will also be required.

If you're using Windows, Visual Basic should work very well for what you want, and your board should already have a driver for it, probably in a .dll module.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 06:11:59 AM »

I have a popular dvm, which can be controlled by its' IEEE488 interface. (Keithley 2000)
All I want to do is take a few measurements...a minute apart.

I don't want to take a college course on Labview, and download a dozen "sets" of tables and data.

I have a GPIB interface. Is there any easy program just to "make a measurement, save it, wait a minute".

Can anyone suggest an easy way to make this happen?   I think these days, there are a few dmm's that can do this all by themselves.
I may actually go that route, if this turns out to be Rocket Science!

Thanks.....Dave

As was suggested write your own code using Basic or some other high level language. Visual Basic works very nicely for this purpose and will not break the bank. You don't have to have Labview. You do have to have a IEEE488 interface card in your computer and cable to connect the Computer to the voltmeter.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:07:25 AM »

I have a few GPIB interfaces, but this suggestion is just what I don't want to do.
I have to find drivers for the counter, then I have to have a list of all the programmable commands...which I don't have.
Get some version of basic, and figure that out. I haven't touched basic since the Vic20!!
I just need to take a reading..save it with timestamp, wait a minute, take another reading etc. etc.

...Dave
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:54:04 AM »

I have a few GPIB interfaces, but this suggestion is just what I don't want to do.
I have to find drivers for the counter, then I have to have a list of all the programmable commands...which I don't have.
Get some version of basic, and figure that out. I haven't touched basic since the Vic20!!
I just need to take a reading..save it with timestamp, wait a minute, take another reading etc. etc.

...Dave

Unfortunately, it takes software to do that.  And if you don't want to mess with Labview or something similar, the only way to do that is to write your own code, or find something on the internet that someone else has written.

The Keithley 2000 manual has the GPIB interface well-documented, including all commands.  There are some QuickBasic code samples included.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »

I've had to mess with GPIB every so often at work, and it is a PITA  Angry
KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 03:32:11 PM »

WA2ISE....I agree with you. I have messed with it on several occasions. Never did get it to work right.  Lately, more and more instrumentation has USB control. I am surprised there has not been a software package released with a more friendly UI, and easier to control instruments, once the USB port recognizes them.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »

I've had to mess with GPIB every so often at work, and it is a PITA  Angry

It can be, especially if you're forced to use ancient/obsolete HP-Basic.  But I've been doing it for 30 years, and have had little trouble once I got the basic functions and modules debugged.  Visual Basic and Python work the best for me.  I have yet to see bad documentation from either a GPIB card or test equipment manufacturer.  RTFM. Wink

We don't have any test equipment with Ethernet or USB control at work, so I've never had any experience with programming them.  But GPIB is still universal, and good test equipment lasts for decades, so it won't be going away anytime soon, despite the overpriced interfaces & cables, as well as the initial programming hassles.
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »

I believe Keithley has a Free  Excel plug-in called "ExceLINX" which can interface with the 2000 and log data to a spreadsheet. Look at the software stuff for the 2000 here: http://www.keithley.com/products/dcac/dmm/broadpurpose/?path=2000/Downloads#2
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

I've had to mess with GPIB every so often at work, and it is a PITA  Angry

To me, this sounds like a personnel problem; an employee needing more training and that's a reflection on company-management.
There is nothing wrong about GPIB; you just have to be methodical.

But what really is a PITA with GPIB is having to tell a seasoned technician, who running a fully GPIB-configured network-analyzer test-station, that I need to take away the computer for part of the day because I need it elsewhere.
He instantly pushed-back because he knows, without computer-control, it is back to the old manual way of testing and that is a huge PITA for him.

We did a lot of amazing stuff with GPIB; it all starts with planning and flow-charts.

Brings up another point....anybody who says, "you don't have to flow-chart", treat them like the idiot they are.

73 Jerry KM3K
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:17:54 PM by KM3K » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: