Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom drivers and IC-7100  (Read 1096 times)
WI1S

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »

I have an IC-7100 and installed the Icom drivers on my computer running Windows 7 (32 bit).  It was working flawlessly with Ham Radio Deluxe software until a couple of days ago when I turned things on and discovered that the drivers had mysteriously disappeared from my computer.  I attempted to reinstall the drivers - even downloaded them again but alas, they would not properly install.

Icom makes a very strong point in their instructions about not connecting the radio to the computer without those drivers installed.  Unfortunately, I didn't know the drivers had disappeared and the radio was connected to the computer.

I called Icom tech support and explained the problem.  Was told that I probably have a Registry problem now with Windows and I need to contact Microsoft to resolve the problem.  Great.  I might as well try to talk to man on the moon.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a workaround for this problem short of reinstalling Windows?

Thanks!

Dave, WI1S
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:17:47 PM »

Try these drivers, I never had good luck with the Icom drivers on my 9100 and I doubt there is much difference in the USB between the rigs ..

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

Craig
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »

I have an IC-7100 and installed the Icom drivers on my computer running Windows 7 (32 bit). 
Does anyone have any thoughts on a workaround for this problem short of reinstalling Windows?

Thanks!

Dave, WI1S

I own a 7100. I also own backup software which because of past frustrations (but not with my Icom 7100) I use OFTEN.

So. When you own a computer - Stuff Happens. My advice, use a  recent backup. If you are one of those people who Stuff Only Happens to Other People then here is a hint. Think Windows Restore. Restore. It has helped me look less like an idiot MANY times. Search for Restore in that little box when that says Search programs and files when you hit the Win 7 icon in the bottom left corner of your screen. Go back in time to better days.  Wink Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »

I have an IC-7100 and installed the Icom drivers on my computer running Windows 7 (32 bit). 

Thanks!

Dave, WI1S

I own a 7100. I also own backup software which because of past frustrations (but not with my Icom 7100) I use OFTEN.

So. When you own a computer - Stuff Happens. My advice, use a  recent backup. If you are one of those people who Stuff Only Happens to Other People then here is a hint. Think Windows Restore. Restore. It has helped me look less like an idiot MANY times. Search for Restore in that little box when that says Search programs and files when you hit the Win 7 icon in the bottom left corner of your screen. Go back in time to better days.  Wink Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

Gospel.
WI1S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 05:04:07 PM »

I do have everything backed up and can go back a week or so and restore all settings.  The challenge now is to figure out what files need to be restored to change the driver settings back to the way they were!  I haven't a clue...

I tried downloading and installing those other drivers as suggested and got nowhere.  Can download them but they will not install...
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 05:39:56 PM »

I do have everything backed up and can go back a week or so and restore all settings.  The challenge now is to figure out what files need to be restored to change the driver settings back to the way they were!  I haven't a clue...

I tried downloading and installing those other drivers as suggested and got nowhere.  Can download them but they will not install...

Use Windows Restore before you use a backup. It is simple to do and has a good chance of fixing your problem. I would only use a backup as as last resort. I am assuming you use a image backup like Acronis or it's many variants.

If Win Restore does not help then try uninstalling your offending drivers. Go to Control Panel/Systems/Device Manager/Ports and right click on the Silicon Lab Driver(s). Do uninstall. Reboot and follow original instructions for installation of 7100 drivers.

I have and use a 7100 daily. Never a problem for over a year of operation with the drivers I originally installed. Win 7, 64 bit computer.

Stan K9IUQ
WI1S

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »

Stan -

Did the Win Restore and Control Panel/Systems, etc... It doesn't see any offending serial ports.  Still can't install any other drivers.  Guess I'm going to have to do a backup.  Running a Mac computer with Boot Camp with Time Machine backup on an outboard HD.

73, Dave WI1S
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »

Stan -

Did the Win Restore and Control Panel/Systems, etc... It doesn't see any offending serial ports.  Still can't install any other drivers.  Guess I'm going to have to do a backup.  Running a Mac computer with Boot Camp with Time Machine backup on an outboard HD.

73, Dave WI1S

Thats pretty much the same set up I am running but I had all kinds of issues with the boot camp set up. I just use VMWare Fusion 7 and run my Windows that way. As a matter of fact I just removed my Boot Camp set up this evening as I havent used it in quite a while. I also changed over to all Mac stuff now, MacLogger and MacDoppler for the satellite stuff but the Mac drivers are kind of crazy as they seem to change all the time. Thats a problem with the way Icom did the USB hardware.

Its a rather odd problem you have not being able to install the drivers from SiLabs, those fixed my problems 100%. Are you right clicking and installing them as administrator ?

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »

Did the Win Restore and Control Panel/Systems, etc... It doesn't see any offending serial ports.

Try this...

Open up Device Manager and left click on the arrow next to Ports (COM & LPT). Now click on View and select Show hidden devices and see if a Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COMX) shows up. (COMX will be whatever port was assigned to your radio)

From there, you can uninstall the device and if you check the box, you can also delete the driver for that device as well.

Now try and reinstall the driver package.

The other thing I had to do when I bought a new PC that had USB2.0 and 3.0 ports was to hook up the radio using a powered USB hub. It was the cheapest 4 port powered hub I could find ($20 for a Belkin) and now the connection to the radio (an IC-7410) is rock solid. I use the driver from Icom, btw.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 04:05:51 AM »

Stan -

Running a Mac computer with Boot Camp with Time Machine backup on an outboard HD.

73, Dave WI1S

You made no mention of using a Mac in your original Post. This could be your problem. Trying to run Windows drivers on a Mac.

Stan K9IUQ
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 04:22:44 AM »

Stan -

Running a Mac computer with Boot Camp with Time Machine backup on an outboard HD.

73, Dave WI1S

You made no mention of using a Mac in your original Post. This could be your problem. Trying to run Windows drivers on a Mac.

Stan K9IUQ

Stan, there are no problems running windows on a Mac, he has it set up to dual boot between OSx and Windows. My Mac mini actually runs Windows better than my old PC.

Craig W1MSG
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »

I just spent the morning re installing my Bootcamp set up with Windows 8 then the 8.1 upgrade. I have a Mac Mini 2.3 i7. After doing the hours of upgrades, something I dont miss with OSx, I installed the Icom drivers with no issues. I installed SatPC and set up the rig control also with no issues.

Have you changed any of the cables ie the USB cable from the radio to computer, and are you using a powered USB hub between the radio and the computer. A powered USB hub usually corrects most problems when connecting to an Icom radio both in Windows and Mac OSx. Also what specific software are you having problems with radio connection ..

Craig, W1MSG
WI1S

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 03:47:31 PM »

I spent time today trying a system restore to turn the clock back about ten days.  For some reason, I kept getting an error message that prevented the restore process from starting.  Arrgh...  What next??  Having a consultant come in tomorrow to see if he can figure out the problem.

Boot Camp has worked perfectly in all other aspects.  Maybe I have a virus?Huh
WI1S

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:07:54 AM »

Problem solved!

It turned out to be in the Device Manager for Boot Camp, not Windows.  Boot Camp could see the drivers but they someone got turned off so as a result Windows could see them.  Turned them back on and voila!  Everyone is happy!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.  I've learned a lot through it all

Dave, WI1S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: