Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX Spotting Etiquette  (Read 9190 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:12 PM »

One other thing...  DONT spot Uncle Ed over in Arkansas if you are in Georgia. (Or Cousin Gomer in South Carolina...)  DX clusters are DX clusters. I am not trying to start a pi$$ing contest over this, but damnit DX is supposed to be DX. If DX clusters were not for DX they would be called something ELSE, and not be called DX clusters. Whew!

AND.... Almost forgot, SELLSPOTTING sucks as well. How in the hell is the distance from your mic or key to your antenna DX? If your station is not able to be heard by others, improve it...... Guess what? Then, if a DX station hears you, he just might spot you on the DX (get that DXHuh) cluster.  You guys can argue all you want, but DX is DX, and you all should KNOW what DX is, so I wont waste time explaining.

Here Here on all counts Gene!  Stateside stations within the lower 48 should not be spotting other stateside sations within the lower 48 unless 1) first and foremost, someone's life is in grave danger, 2) the station being spotted is a Special Event station of some kind, or 3) 10 meters has a freakish monster (sporadic E) opening, which I am sure is something that the majority of HF operators would be interested in knowing about......I think we had this conversation a long time ago....Other than that, no one cares if K3ABC in Michigan is spotting W3XYZ in Texas calling cq on 40 meters and is loud....I am not sure if that is done for the benefit of stations in other countries on say the DX summit or what, but from another stateside station's point of view, it's just another junk spot....again, NO ONE CARES!!!.....and don't get me started on self spotters......

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:39:39 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

As someone who has good filters for the incoming spots, I don't really care what other people spot, and feel like we should focus on those things I can't filter out Grin

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 05:33:44 AM »

[quote author=KA3NRX link=topic=73521.msg499031#msg499031 date=1298946612

Here Here on all counts Gene!  Stateside stations within the lower 48 should not be spotting other stateside sations within the lower 48 unless 1) first and foremost, someone's life is in grave danger, 2) the station being spotted is a Special Event station of some kind, or 3) 10 meters has a freakish monster (sporadic E) opening, which I am sure is something that the majority of HF operators would be interested in knowing about......I think we had this conversation a long time ago....Other than that, no one cares if K3ABC in Michigan is spotting W3XYZ in Texas calling cq on 40 meters and is loud....I am not sure if that is done for the benefit of stations in other countries on say the DX summit or what, but from another stateside station's point of view, it's just another junk spot....again, NO ONE CARES!!!.....and don't get me started on self spotters......

V
KA3NRX

[/quote]

I have been looking for Rules for Spotters on the Summit and see none yet.

I ask you WHO cares about a special events station in the USA ?
Who cares About a 10 meter opening ? Actually I do not care about a opening on 10 meter band . All I care about is Top Band or a new one and where is he ?

Really You say one thing then in the same sentence say BUT it is ok to spot a special events station. Or this or that !

But I do not see these rules written any where as of yet.

But I have seen in print somewhere that it is accepted to spot State side stations by state side stations on Top Band . In fact there are DX station that want it done by state side stations.

I will bet you $100 that you will work P5XYZ if he ever self spots.

I have a buddy that is 100% against the clusters . But when I call him about a station I spotted on the Summit . He quick works them. Sure makes me laugh to myself.

JIM
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 06:23:04 AM »

Spotting on the clusters is simply a matter of common sense and courtesy.  There are exceptions to all "rules."

Here are a few examples:

As someone who enjoys two way QRP QSO's (as opposed to asymmetric QSO's), I really appreciate seeing spots for W0RW working pedestrian mobile from the mountains of Colorado, or WB3AAL operating from a tent on the AT. 

Some Pacific stations (FO8RZ and FK8CP) frequently self-spot on Top Band, giving their QSX frequency.  These stations are a challenge for me to hear (I've worked both of them on 80m, but neither yet on Top Band), so I always appreciate knowing when they are QRV.

There are times when spotting a local station can alert the person that they have something wrong with their signal-- I did this recently during a contest, and the guy really appreciated it.  It made more sense to do this via the cluster. rather than interrupting his run-- besides, I had already worked him previously when his signal was fine.

The only spots I feel are inappropriate are those that are not spots at all: e.g., "VK9XX nil here in Midwest," or "P5ABC thanks for QSL received, 9 bands, 3 modes."

My logging program (DXBase) has windows for filtered and unfiltered spots, so I really don't get too bent out of shape over what is happening on the cluster.  What is far more important is what people are doing on the air as a result of information coming in over the cluster.   

Chuck  NI0C 
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »

"As someone who enjoys two way QRP QSO's (as opposed to asymmetric QSO's), I really appreciate seeing spots for W0RW working pedestrian mobile from the mountains of Colorado, or WB3AAL operating from a tent on the AT."

Well, this is certainly understandable as far as your likes and dislikes. However............  I still consider DX to be contacts between 2 different entities.  Not two different ENTITIES? Then, in my opinion, it should not be on a DX cluster. Might belong SOMEWHERE, but not on a DX cluster. Look at the hundreds of "domestic" spots for various State QSO parties....... Do they belong on a DX cluster? Not really. Just my opinion.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »

I still consider DX to be contacts between 2 different entities.  Not two different ENTITIES? Then, in my opinion, it should not be on a DX cluster. Might belong SOMEWHERE, but not on a DX cluster. Look at the hundreds of "domestic" spots for various State QSO parties....... Do they belong on a DX cluster? Not really. Just my opinion.

So an op pursuing DXCC with 1.5KW and a tower can benefit from the DX cluster, but an op pursuing WAS with 10 w and a dipole in his attic can't?
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 08:43:07 AM »

"So an op pursuing DXCC with 1.5KW and a tower can benefit from the DX cluster, but an op pursuing WAS with 10 w and a dipole in his attic can't?"

Well, of course anyone who wants to post domestic QSOs on a DX cluster can do so. That does not make it right, does it? Those domestic QSOs are not DX to the poster if they are in his entity. Dont remember, but I doubt if 10% of my WAS contacts were harvested from a DX cluster.  

I dont know what the answer is, and I am sure it is not going to change just because I think it should. However, once again, DX contacts, to me (and I believe a LOT of other DXers) are contacts between stations in different entities.

I have not seen a "WAS or WAC, etc. cluster". So..... people use whatever means available to find stations they want to work. Perhaps the DX clusters should just become "The Cluster", instead of the DX cluster. 73, Gene
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:51:24 AM by AF3Y » Logged
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »

In the early days it was called Packet Clusterâ„¢, not Packet "DX" Cluster.    It was begun by people in a contest club to help other club members score more points in contests - any contests.  The "cluster" has expanded beyond packet these days but as far as I can tell it's still "the cluster."  (some might say "a cluster.....)  There are numerous sites with "DX" in their name that take stuff off "the cluster" such as DX Summit, DXScape, etc., and many of these even allow one to add spots to "the cluster."  But I don't believe that means "DX" (insert your definition here) only should be allowed on "the cluster."  "The cluster" is used by many ops for many purposes.  You may use a program that bills itself as "DX Cluster" but that shouldn't imply that the entire "cluster" is only for "DX."  (again insert your definition here)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »

"So an op pursuing DXCC with 1.5KW and a tower can benefit from the DX cluster, but an op pursuing WAS with 10 w and a dipole in his attic can't?"

Well, of course anyone who wants to post domestic QSOs on a DX cluster can do so. That does not make it right, does it? Those domestic QSOs are not DX to the poster if they are in his entity. Dont remember, but I doubt if 10% of my WAS contacts were harvested from a DX cluster.  

I dont know what the answer is, and I am sure it is not going to change just because I think it should. However, once again, DX contacts, to me (and I believe a LOT of other DXers) are contacts between stations in different entities.

I have not seen a "WAS or WAC, etc. cluster". So..... people use whatever means available to find stations they want to work. Perhaps the DX clusters should just become "The Cluster", instead of the DX cluster. 73, Gene

DX is an abbreviation for "distant", not "foreign".

For some stations in Maine, New Mexico is more distant than the Azores.

Dave, AA6YQ

AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 02:52:02 AM »

Here in Hawaii everything is DX Grin. And I use the Cluster all the time. Every now and then I will self spot on 10M asking "Is the band is open?" there a lot more people listening on 10 then talking so giving your frequency helps others find you if the band is open. I was taught by my Elmer that anything over 1000 miles is DX. And yes getting the DX's call right is the correct thing to do.

73 and Good DX
Roland AH6RR
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 05:37:46 AM »

Dave, AA6YQ

Well then, should DXCC be changed to ENTITYCC?  After all, you compete in DXCC by making contacts with ENTITIES, some of which are near, and some are far. All MUST be classified as DX, near or far, BUT they are different entities. Case in point: If you are a US Ham, you get ONE credit toward DXCC for a US contact. The other US contacts dont amount to a fart in a tornado as far as DXCC is concerned.
 We can beat this horse to death, but I cant agree with most of the comments. We will just have to agree to disagree. 73, Gene
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:40:25 AM by AF3Y » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 06:48:27 AM »

Dave, AA6YQ

Well then, should DXCC be changed to ENTITYCC?  After all, you compete in DXCC by making contacts with ENTITIES, some of which are near, and some are far. All MUST be classified as DX, near or far, BUT they are different entities. Case in point: If you are a US Ham, you get ONE credit toward DXCC for a US contact. The other US contacts dont amount to a fart in a tornado as far as DXCC is concerned.
 We can beat this horse to death, but I cant agree with most of the comments. We will just have to agree to disagree. 73, Gene

A fart in a tornado....LOL...That's pretty funny, Gene!.... Grin....
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 07:02:54 AM »

Well then, should DXCC be changed to ENTITYCC?  After all, you compete in DXCC by making contacts with ENTITIES, some of which are near, and some are far. All MUST be classified as DX, near or far, BUT they are different entities. Case in point: If you are a US Ham, you get ONE credit toward DXCC for a US contact. The other US contacts dont amount to a fart in a tornado as far as DXCC is concerned.

Your are super focused on DXCC, ignoring other awards for which the cluster is useful, such as WAS, VUCC, Gridlock Hell, various Worked All Counties, state QSO parties, and IOTA (non-DX islands, such as Key West count).

This discrimination against other awards and activities indicate a lack of diversity in your operating.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 07:25:49 AM »

Your are super focused on DXCC, ignoring other awards for which the cluster is useful, such as WAS, VUCC, Gridlock Hell, various Worked All Counties, state QSO parties, and IOTA (non-DX islands, such as Key West count).

This discrimination against other awards and activities indicate a lack of diversity in your operating.

Discriminate against other awards and activities? Not sure how you arrive at that, but I dont think so.  The greatest thing about our hobby IS the different areas in which one can operate or choose not to. Yes, DXCC is my primary path right now. If I ever make Honor Roll (Probably wont live that long. hi), I may diversify and chase counties, etc.  I do hold DXCC (need 8 or 9 more for 300 confirmed), WAS, WAC and working on 5 bands for each of those three areas as well. I certainly have far and away enough IOTA confirmations for award(s). But, as you say, I am mainly focused on DXCC. This hobby "is what it is" to each of us, and well it should be. DXCC is my favorite, but not my ONLY effort.  My lack of diversification is not as important to me as your multitype/mode-operations obviously are to you. (If, in fact, you actually pursue all those areas. Good for you......) Irregardless, I still feel that DX is DX,  and DX clusters should be used for DX spots, period.  Just my opinion.  Gene
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:29:32 AM by AF3Y » Logged
KR2D

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 10:46:26 AM »

If you don't like seeing spots for USA stations, then configure your cluster client software to filter them out.  If you can't see them, they won't bother you.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: