Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One man club / Field Day 2011?  (Read 6193 times)
N8CNJ

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:53:00 AM »

I'm curious if I can do this.  Here's the back story.  

I created a club years ago and am the club call trustee.  We never got off to a really good start and the bigger clubs just gobbled us up.

Since then, I have moved from 8 country to 4 country, no one wanted to take over being trustee, and and so I decided to just let the club call expire.  Plus, I recently started a new job and with wanting my wife to be able to stay home with our kids while they are young rather than be a two income family, I put ham radio in the closet.

Until now.

I have a couple of questions.  First, can a club be moved?  Or, for that matter, be operated away from it's original location.  As I've said, I live in 4 country now with an 8 country call and club call.

Second, can I be a one man club?

I've very recently gotten myself to a point that I could afford to go out and purchase a good used HF mobile rig to put in my rig and by Field Day I plan to, at least, upgrade to General.  I'm excited about radio all over again.  I purchased a used 706 from HRO and can't wait to mount it in the big truck.  This brings up my next question.

Can I, as a one man club, be a mobile station on Field Day?  I mean literally.  If so, how would I designate myself?

I really am excited.  I can't wait to upgrade and have been studying my seat duster butt off.  I've even been thinking about, once upgraded, renewing the club call (it expires soon) and using it as a trucker club.  I meet a LOT of trucker hams on the road.

Anyway, that's my story and questions.  Thanks for reading.

Chip
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »

There are lots of one man "clubs". Plenty of hams form these "clubs" in order to obtain a second callsign for any number of reasons. There is no geographical restriction on where or how the call is used, provided the operator stays within the limits of his license class. The FCC made it clear it wants nothing to do with regulating club calls when it handed over the responsibility for issuing them to ARRL and a few other organizations.

The recent changes in vanity call rules were designed to curtail abuses by "clubs" who hold multiple desirable 1x2 or 2x1 calls, though the ones that done this will continue to hold these calls.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:18:38 PM »

You've really got two questions there.

First, the FCC kinda frowns on "clubs" that exist only as a way to accumulate calls. Particularly desirable vanity calls. If the call is a 2x3, nobody really cares.

Why have a one-man club? Why not just use your own call?

---

As for Field Day, it's a blast - if you do it right. The main question to ask yourself is what *your* goals are. The first step to answering that question is to download the Field Day rules (use the 2010 rules until the 2011 package comes out) and see what it's all about. You can also look at previous years' results.

There is a category/entry class specifically for mobile stations: C. With one transmitter, you're class 1C. Last year, the winning 1C entry (out of 56) made 4,550 points.

The biggest problem in mobile FD operation is: how do you keep the log? The most common solution is a second op so the driver doesn't do the logging. Another possibility is to have a tape recorder going, record the contest, and then transcribe it later.

Note that you don't have to be in motion to be in the mobile class. All that's needed is for the station to be in a vehicle that is capable of motion without any changes. IOW, if you pull off to the side of the road and make QSOs, they count as mobile, but if you put up a fixed non-mobile antenna, or hook up to external power, etc., it's not mobile any more.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »

One good reason for a 'one man club' to have a second call sign is if the person owns and operates a repeater system.  Other than that, there really isn't one.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:21:15 AM »

1C cannot be designated as a club. I operate 1C every year with some other hams and we are not able to designate ourselves as a club.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:32:15 AM by WX7G » Logged
N8CNJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:53:25 AM »

Well, just so it's known.  I have no intention in going for any special calls other than possibly replacing the old club call with my grandpa's to honor him. 

I downloaded the FD pack from ARRL and found that it doesn't say a 1C can or can't be a club.  So I'm emailing for clarification.  I'll post here when I find out.

Thanks for the replies.  And thanks for instantly jumping in there with why some people start clubs just to gain 1x2 or 2x1 calls. 

To answer the couple of questions brought to me.  I want to use the club call in order to get it back in use and I'm hoping to get the top 1C points.  I would rather that honor go to the club call rather than my own.  As far as logging, my wife will be joining me that day to do logging for me
KA8VIT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 05:35:32 AM »

If I recall, to be a valid club must have at least FOUR members.

President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.

It must also have a formal Constitution and meeting minutes.

73 - Bill KA8VIT
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 05:50:27 AM »

From the Technician License Test Question Pool:

T1F12 (B) [97.5(b)(2)]
How many persons are required to be members of a club for a club station license to be issued by the FCC?
A. At least 5
B. At least 4
C. A trustee and 2 officers
D. At least 2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: