Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who killed the cat?? (sad)  (Read 6305 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:45:52 AM »

A sad story.

There was this black cat that kind of adopted us. He would show up for food and hang around then disappear for days and show back up again.

We even let him in the house when it was freezing out.

We had set up a box with a blanket for him which of course he wouldn't use.

Last night I went to check on my cats and there was 'black cat' laying in the box. I went to pet him and noticed he was not acting normal right away. For one thing he was in the box. I soon realized that he was disoriented and had trouble walking and was loosing control of his bladder. It appeared to me he was either really drunk or poisoned. He gave me a brief glimmer of hope when he got up and stumbled over to the litter box but my hopes sank when he just flopped down and laid down in the litter box. I could tell he was 'giving up'.

Well my wife and I rushed him to the 'emergency' vet but I'm afraid "Black Cat" didn't make it.

The vet confirmed my suspicions that he had in fact been poisoned.

Very sad.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:00:04 AM »

Did he drink antifreeze?
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 06:55:51 AM »

Antifreeze takes weeks / months with many outward symptoms over that time such as loss of fur and open leasions. I've seen it first hand.

This cat was fine one day then dead the next.
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »

My condolences to you sir. You and you're wife are very honourable people and kind souls for doing everything you could. I've taken in many a stray, some do fine for many years, some go rather quickly, often without a reason why.

No cats left behind, that's my rule.

'73's

--Kenn

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:05:58 AM »

I was under the impression this forum was for ham radio related questions or comments.  Dear Amy can be accessed through your local newspaper.

KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »

This is the Miscellanous forum

Misc.

Questions or comments that do not fit in other Forums!

But really why even bother with such a comment?
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »

My condolences. As an owner of three cats I understand
how they can get into your hearts. But he was outside, which
is always a hazard. Did you consider adopting him, having him
examined, vaccinated and neutered by a Vet, and then adopting him
and keeping him "inside only"?
Or was this not an option?

The vet confirmed my suspicions that he had in fact been poisoned.

I wonder how without a necropsy, but no matter, I am not a Vet.
If I found out who did it I would burn their house down.
(Yes, I really would! I would wait and plan for a few years, but I would.)
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »

I am very sorry for your loss. A pet loss is as bad as losing a family member. With that said. I have a cat that is an indoor outdoor cat. I agree that a cat kept indoors would lead a long, but boaring life. Think of it this way. A person could live a long time if he or she lived in a sealed container with no access to the outside. The container could be furnished like the Tashmahal with servants and all sorts of amusements. A super deluxe prison, but would anyone want to live this way never to be in the great outdoors. Cats are hunters. I know that they sometimes  kill birds, but that is there nature. Think of this everytime you eat chiken. My cat loves to play and hunt in a small wooded area on our property. I would never take this away from her even if it extended her life a few years. I am lucky that she rarely leaves the property. Cats can pick up poison from many places. An idiot person trying to get rid of mice or moles on his or her property is an example. They put down bait and do not think of the consequences. There are also (hopefully not to many) sub human sub animals that just do not like domestic animals and kill them because they don't like them. Animals can get into so many different situations that are hazardous to them, but do you really want to take away there freedom to live a full normal life for them, I think not.

This is my two cents worth on this ham forum. A change of pace.

73s
K2OWK
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:49:04 PM »

Some people are just mean, ignorant, brutal and have no regard for life.
We had this gigantic Persian cat who would hang out on the porch, the house is back in the woods and I am certain that he made the rounds to all of the neighborhood lady kitties. He was adorable and did not have that skittish tendency to dart off when we went outside.

He disappeared for a few days, when he made is reappearance he was limping badly on his front left leg. He just laid down on the porch and let my sister examine him closely. He had a bullet hole in his upper front leg that must have been a few days old. We took him down to the vet and they did surgery to remove the bullet, put in a plate to replace the shattered bone and treated the infection.

He is now one of the most adorable indoor cats. When he was outside we named him "Mr. Mc.Balls". while he was at the vet some "other" things were taken care of and now he is just named "Fayd" (from the Dune books).

I am 90% certain that it is the little teen age reprobates that live a couple of properties over. They are always shooting up road signs and anything else that they see. Of course, proving anything would be impossible so no further action is planned.

I had an employee who was talking with his buddies at work about how he enjoyed going out late at night with his pickup truck to run over mailboxes, cats, raccoons, etc... It was apparent that amongst the young adults up here that the behavior he was describing was part of some growing up ritual (to kill things for no reason).

BTW, a few months earlier someone had bashed my mailbox and busted it off of the 4"x4" post. It is one of those green plastic prefabricated things so I just had to dig a hole for a new post and to reset the box. The second time it happened (the mailbox) I replaced the wooden post with a small 8' long steel I beam off of a small overhead crane they were taking apart at work. Set into I beam into concrete 4' deep 4' high and put the green plastic mailbox back on top of THAT. A few months later "I caught me a pickup truck" late one night. It tore out his transmission cooler, radiator, oil pan and transfer case, shame what happens sometimes.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:52:11 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W6LAR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »

Cheesy A great mail box story!
Here the crazies drive through the area with a baseball bat just smacking the mailbox's as they go by. A neighbor on a cross street form me got tired of replacing his box and put up two of them. The first was on a 4 inch steel pipe set in the ground and it extended up into a metal mailbox that he filled with concrete. It would be hit first and protect the real mailbox next to it. The next time they tried to do damage he found a broken bat and lots of auto glass on the ground by his mailbox. I bet the fool who hit that thing was rung like a bell. Or maybe showed up at the local emergency room with a broke body.
W6LAR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »

Cry
I forgot to add my condolences for your loss.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 07:04:20 AM »

KE4JOY:  "Questions or comments that do not fit in other Forums!"

You're right.  Sorry.  I just assumed (you know....ass-u-me) that this was eHam.com.....you know, ham radio.... I know now to just avoid the MISC forum.

I was going to relate the experience I had of finding a dead cat in my outbuilding.  Apparently he was out "roaming," you know like cats do.....and got into my outbuilding.  He died a long a horrible death of dehydration and starvation over a week in temperatures reaching 100°F. But I realize this would be just an opportunity for you cat lovers to "flame" me.  I'll spare you the gristly details that left me sick for weeks.

I'm sure that was better than being cooped up in a house 24/7.

N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 07:49:55 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFztjgfDWDA&feature=player_embedded

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 10:25:09 AM »

Hilarious!   Grin    Nice to see a bunch of cat lovers amongst our ranks.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »

What do cats and Klingons have in common?

The only good one is a dead one.

My favorite book is 100 Uses For A Dead Cat.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: